Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | how many hours storage on sky +

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

how many hours storage on sky +

Old 01-10-2005, 20:52   #1
stamp92
Inactive

Services: 1.5mb Broadband
stamp92 is on a distinguished roadstamp92 is on a distinguished road
how many hours storage on sky +

im looking at this page http://existing.sky.com/equipment.asp

which says of sky plus...

"Complete control over your TV schedule

Store an average of 40 hours of programming"

i have rung sky and the agent i spoke to said 'i think' it stores 20 hours.

can someone who has sky + or who works for sky please confirm this?

secondly...

can you upgrade the internal hard drive in the sky box yourself?
stamp92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2005, 21:04   #2
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: how many hours storage on sky +

It's 80 GB.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 21:07   #3
stamp92
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
It's 80 GB.
how many hours does that store? 20 hrs or 40 hrs?

is there a recording quality setting which enables you to record 20 hours at high quality or 40 hours at low quality much like SP(short play) and LP (long play)on vhs recorders
Old 01-10-2005, 21:11   #4
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp92
how many hours does that store? 20 hrs or 40 hrs?

is there a recording quality setting which enables you to record 20 hours at high quality or 40 hours at low quality much like SP(short play) and LP (long play)on vhs recorders
Ive just done a quick google and it says up to 80 hrs. so there is probably a setting as you say.
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 21:23   #5
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

V2 boxes allow 20hours - v3 boxes allow 40hours.

And no you can't change the quality to allow more time.

There is also a 160gb box that allows 80hours.

You can upgrade a v2 or 3 box with a new hdd
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 21:59   #6
stamp92
Inactive

i heard something abt new boxes being issue by sky in october - is this the new v3 box??? if not how do i get hold of a v3 box?
Old 01-10-2005, 22:02   #7
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp92
i heard something abt new boxes being issue by sky in october - is this the new v3 box??? if not how do i get hold of a v3 box?
~Yup - it is the v3 one. I don't think there's any real way to ensure you'll get a v3 though. It depends what the engineer has on the van. You can ask them when they call you before the install.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:27   #8
NEONKNIGHT

Thumbs down Re: how many hours storage on sky +

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
~Yup - it is the v3 one. I don't think there's any real way to ensure you'll get a v3 though. It depends what the engineer has on the van. You can ask them when they call you before the install.
Just got rid of my sky+ We were onto our second sky+ box and still having problems with it. Constantly switching itself off for no reason, failed recordings. Then the monthly subscription for sky and sky+ didn't seem that good a value when you're constantly skipping through channels trying to find some thing decent to watch and all those repeats aswell ! Nightmare.
Old 02-10-2005, 14:44   #9
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society

As a rule of thumb, it uses 2GB an hour. Tip: Buy one with a small hard drive, ram a new 240GB one in, there's 120 hours viewing pleasure.
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 00:43   #10
stamp92
Inactive

the engineer rang at 8am before the install ( as sky advised me )
he said he would arrive to install sky plus between 10am-1pm
i asked him if he would be bringing a v3 40 hr recording time box
i explained that i would rather this than the old 20hr box
he confirmed he would and said the new 40 hr box had been in issue since september.
the engineer arrived 20 mins early saying the previous job was finished sooner than expected.
he changed the single connection lnb to a quadruple connection lnb and ran a new single cable along the same path as the existing cable. he gave me the chose of replacing the single cable with a dual cable but he warned that the dual cable was very thin and more likely to cause problems in future. i chose the two single cables option. he drilled a new hole in wall and connected the two cables from the satellite into the box.
he showed me how to use the box and then left.

ive only had sky plus a day but its hard to imagine life existed before it. i doubt i will ever watch live tv again (i hate adverts). i love being able to record two programs at once while watching another recording. its great to be able to switch the tv on and watch what i choose rather than be restricted to whats on. it really is like having your own tv channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhnewark
As a rule of thumb, it uses 2GB an hour. Tip: Buy one with a small hard drive, ram a new 240GB one in, there's 120 hours viewing pleasure.
thanks for that info
Old 05-10-2005, 08:29   #11
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

I thought there were only 2 versions of Sky +?

The original 40 gig, + the new (ish) 160 (hence the name Sky+ 160)

Where did this 80 gig malarkey come from?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:51   #12
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I thought there were only 2 versions of Sky +?

The original 40 gig, + the new (ish) 160 (hence the name Sky+ 160)

Where did this 80 gig malarkey come from?
It's sky's new standard +box.

Incidentallay it's actually got a 160gb in it but only half of that is usable by the customer. The other half is reserved for sky use.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:12   #13
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

The amount of space used by a program also depends on the quality of the broadcast. I.e football on sky is broadcast at a higher quality than say UK gold, so recording a hour of football on sky will take up more space then recording a hour of a program on UK Gold
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote