Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Very disappointed with service - nearly two months, still no install

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

H&S Issues with NTL Distribution Box!!!???

Old 08-07-2011, 09:01   #1
Benade70
Inactive

Benade70 is an unknown quantity at this point
H&S Issues with NTL Distribution Box!!!???

Hi All...

New to the Forum; Not sure if this is the right place to put this BUT...

I have had a spate of headaches over the years and countless visits and tests did not come up with anything! A friend recently suggested I look around my flat if there is any major wiring, junction boxes etc!

Lo and behold there is a couple of NTL boxes where the Phone/TV feed comes into the building and is subsequently distributed into the flats. These boxes are directly on the other side where my bed headboard is in my room and separated by just a wall...!!! This initially freaked me out and the question now is, are these things known to emit any radiation or high level of RF that should be of immediate health and safety concerns??? If so, or even maybe, which government or H&S body do I contact to register my concerns immediately?

Thanks...

Regards
Benade70
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 401.JPG (590.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 400.JPG (647.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 399.JPG (919.1 KB, 78 views)
Benade70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2011, 09:17   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: H&S Issues with NTL Distribution Box!!!???

Do you use a mobile/DECT phone at all during the day? If so then that's more than likely to give you a higher dosage of electro-magnetic radiation during the day.

Other than that try sleeping in one of these
http://eclectech.co.uk/mindcontrol.php
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31   #3
Benade70
Inactive

Benade70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thx Kymmy for your reply and tin hat humour, to think I actually clicked on the link

Yes l use both Mobile/Dect phones, don't we all, joys of modern day living...I guess it does not appear as bad as it felt at first notice then...
Benade70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:05   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If you are truly concerned then the tin foil hat song is more relevant than you think..

Just tape a piece of tin foil over the wall behind the bed and see if it helps.. It'll probably be more of a psychosomatic response but if it helps it helps.. If it does then you can always paste a layer of foil under wallpaper..
Old 08-07-2011, 10:16   #5
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Can you try sleeping elsewhere in your flat for a few days to see if it makes a difference?
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 23:51   #6
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Those lockboxes will contain Telephone Krone strips for terminating phone cables and also coaxial tap ports for connecting coax cable. There is nothing in the network that broadcasts a signal even remotely close to a DECT phone signal, let alone something that can give you a headache. On the contrary, if the networks emits or retains noise then it causes serious issues with service. The signal carried over the coaxial cables is RF which is essentially noise, this cant possibly cause the issues you are having with your health.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 22:28   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

To be fair DECT phones broadcast around 10-50mW and a cable modem can transmit at up to 13mW so a hundred of them together would be far in excess of a DECT phone rather than not even remotely close. However that said the cables are shielded to keep the signal in, rather than designed to radiate it out as effectively as possible so the actual RF output is far far lower.

There may be more leakage coming from the 100v signals used in the phone lines and some people are far more sensitive to others so I wouldn't discount it having an effect.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 23:39   #8
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: H&S Issues with NTL Distribution Box!!!???

The network is monitored for rf leakage .Some of the vans have leakage detection kits on them .Which reports back to a data base which will send a Network engineer out to locate the leak .VM has to keep levels low to conform with goverment safe levels .
As this is on a roof is there any mobile phone masts or microwave dishes near by ?
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 10:42   #9
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
To be fair DECT phones broadcast around 10-50mW and a cable modem can transmit at up to 13mW so a hundred of them together would be far in excess of a DECT phone rather than not even remotely close. However that said the cables are shielded to keep the signal in, rather than designed to radiate it out as effectively as possible so the actual RF output is far far lower.

There may be more leakage coming from the 100v signals used in the phone lines and some people are far more sensitive to others so I wouldn't discount it having an effect.
100v in a phone line??

Also when did you find 100 cable modems inside a lockbox, let alone 1? All network equipment is shielded, the only area you may see egress is at a tap port but thats not going to emit enough energy to move oxygen... let alone fry your brain cells.

Also, a cable modem may transmit at up to 13mW, but it doesnt broadcast, so your theory isnt valid.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 17:09   #10
Never say never
Inactive

Never say never doesn't have many friendsNever say never doesn't have many friendsNever say never doesn't have many friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post

OHH DEAR,

You just lost all credibility, cable modems arent wireless so don't broadcast and the cable is shielded.

The only way you wouldn't know this is if you don't know anything. An has been mentioned ...When you say 100v in a phoneline what do you mean lol?
Never say never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 17:27   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never say never View Post
OHH DEAR,

You just lost all credibility, cable modems arent wireless so don't broadcast and the cable is shielded.

The only way you wouldn't know this is if you don't know anything. An has been mentioned ...When you say 100v in a phoneline what do you mean lol?
Who exactly failed??

Most electronic circuitry (anything with an oscillator) have some leakage in the form of radio broadcasts.. Try putting a shortwave radio next to your computer and tune through the bands with it both on and off..

As for 100v.. It's actually 90v AC on the ring circuit in the UK.. Close enough for me and either way I wouldn't recommend putting an open ended telephone lead in your mouth and dialling the number
Old 21-07-2011, 17:32   #12
Never say never
Inactive

Never say never doesn't have many friendsNever say never doesn't have many friendsNever say never doesn't have many friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Who exactly failed??

Most electronic circuitry (anything with an oscillator) have some leakage in the form of radio broadcasts.. Try putting a shortwave radio next to your computer and tune through the bands with it both on and off..

As for 100v.. It's actually 90v AC on the ring circuit in the UK.. Close enough for me and either way I wouldn't recommend putting an open ended telephone lead in your mouth and dialling the number
So you have chosen to completely ignore the shielded bit and have used the example of someone shoving a open ended telephone lead in there mouth?
Never say never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 17:45   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Shielding will attenuate a signal but is not 100% effective.. Are you saying that the metal case on your PC isn't classified as shielding? Yet you seem to have ignored that example Also how many cable modems do you know that are metal cased

Even a coaxial cable which has it's own shielding will broadcast a small signal along it's length...
Old 21-07-2011, 17:48   #14
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Who exactly failed??

Dialing would be not that bad, 4voltsdc on leg a and 45dc on leg B.

Ringing it on the other hand would give you 75voltsAC, had a few shocks myself when trying to fix a telephone in the snow.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 17:51   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

The AC ring voltage does change from country to country, Germany is as low as 60v, UK and US use 90v.. Most people don't realise and as skin resistance is negated above roughly 50v it means a shocking time I was though suggesting dialing the number of the phoneline in question