Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin answer machine not working

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Out Of Area ANON Calls !

Old 17-11-2010, 17:34   #1
migibro
Inactive

migibro is an unknown quantity at this point
Out Of Area ANON Calls !

Keep getting these calls that come up on my caller display that say "Out Of Area " can anyone shine any light on this at all !
migibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2010, 18:06   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Out Of Area ANON Calls !

Telesales or scam artists normally, they call from either outside of the UK or hide their caller ID.. TPS won't help either
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 18:09   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Get yourself an answerphone that lets you hear the caller and then you will know when a call is genuine or not.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 18:45   #4
migibro
Inactive

migibro is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Get yourself an answerphone that lets you hear the caller and then you will know when a call is genuine or not.
Cheers for your answers everyone, i thought they might be scammers, OH! and btw Masque i already have an answer phone and never answer when we see what comes on the display, and sure enough your right there's no voice comes through, the phone just gets put down !
Cheers Folks
migibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 19:00   #5
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Or you know, just hang up

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 12:45   #6
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Do you have anyone using Skype, if you phone a land line from the computer it'll show up as out of area.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 18:32   #7
webrosc
Inactive

Services: XL TV V+, XXL BB, XL Phone
webrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enoughwebrosc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Telesales or scam artists normally, they call from either outside of the UK or hide their caller ID.. TPS won't help either
I wouldn't say TPS won't help, i've had 1 or 2 auto calls from loans ppl at home, whereas in work we get them daily on an unlisted spare line (line is there as backup emergency phone)
webrosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 11:55   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

TPS only effects UK calls so in this instance TPS will not help..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 12:11   #9
lawe
cf.member

Services: 200mb Gamer, 3 Sim, Sky+/Netflix
lawe is a jewel in the roughlawe is a jewel in the roughlawe is a jewel in the roughlawe is a jewel in the roughlawe is a jewel in the rough

Depends. If you can prove the call is being made on behalf of an UK based company then TPS will help.
Old 20-11-2010, 13:22   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe View Post
Depends. If you can prove the call is being made on behalf of an UK based company then TPS will help.
If they are unlisted then TPS can do nothing as the is no way to trace the caller or the company.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 14:37   #11
MartJ
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP30 package Virgin Mobile x 2
MartJ has a spectacular aura about themMartJ has a spectacular aura about themMartJ has a spectacular aura about themMartJ has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Same here, answerphone with CID is a boon. Had a shower of calls yesterday from 08004080810. FYI it's EDF telesales. Calls you and when the answerphone picks up it calls EDF telesales back. Bet they love listening to my answerphone message.
Had the same number calling to, considering we are ex-directory for the last 25 years and regsitered with TPS and never had anything to do with EDF previously, I asked them where they got our number from, only to be told it was on their system. I said that they must have obtained it illegally and I would be reporting EDF for a breach of the Data Protection Act. at which the line went dead. I have since written to the ICO and await a response.

Our phone also has nice feature, it can block unwanted calls, the EDF number is now on that list of blocked numbers so they don't get through anymore!!!! Doesn't work with out of are calls though.
MartJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 16:37   #12
lawe
cf.member

Services: 200mb Gamer, 3 Sim, Sky+/Netflix
lawe is a jewel in the roughlawe is a jewel in the roughlawe is a jewel in the roughlawe is a jewel in the roughlawe is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
If they are unlisted then TPS can do nothing as the is no way to trace the caller or the company.
Yes true in part, but if want to "play" with the caller and find out a company name then you might be able to stop it if the company is based within the UK.
I only know this as there was a report a while back:
http://www.bitterwallet.com/bitterwa...ce-calls/36623

A quote from the site says:
Quote:
Both the TPS and the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), who are responsible for enforcing the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, were quick to confirm to Bitterwallet that nuisance call rules apply to any organisation in the UK, regardless of where the calls are actually being made from.
Now while I do not like these calls, if I'm in a mischievous mood, then I'll have a go back