Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Old 22-03-2012, 15:12   #151
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Yes I'm looking forward to the reminders coming back. Will it be in the same 'drop' as full BBCi red button come April?
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2012, 15:14   #152
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I don't know when the next major code update is, but it won't be April or we'd've heard about it by now! I don't think the 'red button' is regarded as a 'major code drop'.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 15:42   #153
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Yes I'm looking forward to the reminders coming back. Will it be in the same 'drop' as full BBCi red button come April?
No the reminders will not be in April.

As Red Button is worked as an app, its not actually classed as an update and the version number will not afaik change.
Old 22-03-2012, 16:26   #154
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Thanks
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 15:18   #155
Bentex
Inactive

Services: Tivo (M+), BB (L), Phone (M)
Bentex is on a distinguished roadBentex is on a distinguished road

Okay, I've had my Tivo for a while now.

I have to say, 3 quid a month extra for the Tivo service is worth it. It's a reasonable price. Quite amazingly I think 5 quid is too much lol.

The search feature is pretty neat. My best buddy's sister is an actress and managed to find some rare stuff she was in and some stuff coming up in the listings. Although it didn't have an entire list (like Imdb). It has found some other good stuff and I wanted to watch. This is a plus for me.

The suggestions is a total let down. I know you may say it takes a while to work at its peak but there is nothing in there I want to watch. It's mainly repeats or the same show on a different channel (like the + 1 hour chs). Very disappointed in this.

Series links are sometimes a real mess. Even though I selected 'no re-runs' in still records them. For some reason it recorded the BBC 3's re-run of Eastenders while I only set it for original BBC1 slot. Sky+ is far more better than V+ and Tivo at this.

I haven't used many of the apps, only really youtube. Which I find great to be able to watch in my living room on a big screen! But after a certain while during a long clip it just resets back to the apps menu!! It's very annoying because you have to download 20mins or so to get to the part you were before! Very, very annoying. I was watching a movie on youtube and it happened, so I had to wait ages to get to the bit I was at. It spoiled my enjoyment of the film.

Catch up and OD picture quality is much better than the V+ I had before. But I still haven't worked out how to fast forward in 10mins (or so) intervals. You could do something like this on the V+ box I had using the number keypad. Does anyone know if it can be done on Tivo???

Overall, I'm glad I got it. There are many things that need to be improved though. I would say Sky+ still has the edge. Just because of the extra fee of Tivo. If that was dropped...I would expect Tivos would be a lot more popular!
Bentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 16:15   #156
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
The suggestions is a total let down. I know you may say it takes a while to work at its peak but there is nothing in there I want to watch. It's mainly repeats or the same show on a different channel (like the + 1 hour chs). Very disappointed in this.
The suggestions work best if you add the thumbs up (or two of them) to programs that you like.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 16:48   #157
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
The search feature is pretty neat. My best buddy's sister is an actress and managed to find some rare stuff she was in and some stuff coming up in the listings. Although it didn't have an entire list (like Imdb). It has found some other good stuff and I wanted to watch. This is a plus for me.
!
You could use one of the best features of Tivo and put her name into a Whishlist and set it to auto record. Any time she is in a show, it should record it. As a precaution to make sure you get everything, (if she isn't in the main cast list), also put on a whishlist for the titles of the shows she's been in.

Quote:
Series links are sometimes a real mess. Even though I selected 'no re-runs' in still records them. For some reason it recorded the BBC 3's re-run of Eastenders while I only set it for original BBC1 slot. Sky+ is far more better than V+ and Tivo at this.
The advantage of series links on Tivo is that once you've set a series link, it's there forever and providing the show doesn't change channel, Tivo wil record subsequent seasons and pick up the show after mid season breaks automatically. V+ didn't do that, and from what I've read, Sky plus doesn't do either.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 17:03   #158
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The advantage of series links on Tivo is that once you've set a series link, it's there forever and providing the show doesn't change channel, Tivo wil record subsequent seasons and pick up the show after mid season breaks automatically. V+ didn't do that, and from what I've read, Sky plus doesn't do either.
No it doesn't , I agree that is a great feature
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 17:09   #159
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
No it doesn't , I agree that is a great feature
A combination of the two would be best
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 20:45   #160
Bentex
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
The suggestions work best if you add the thumbs up (or two of them) to programs that you like.
I have done this. Went through 50 or so recorded items and give thumbs to highest priority. 1 thumb for so so....1thumb down for bad but can be watched if you're high. More thumbs is dreadful.

Does this feature work for you, buddy? How many shows have you rated?

Quote:
You could use one of the best features of Tivo and put her name into a Whishlist and set it to auto record. Any time she is in a show, it should record it. As a precaution to make sure you get everything, (if she isn't in the main cast list), also put on a whishlist for the titles of the shows she's been in.
Already did that mate this is a supercool feature! My best mate is currently in India and he can't see her shows. I'm expecting him soon to come and stay with me. Would be a nice surprise for him to see the stuff she did that he missed.... btw, can anyone guess who she is? Indian in the UK from Nottingham???

Quote:
That may be 1 advantage...but the other disadvantages out weight this for me. Ok, you can say "just delete the extra shows and no harm done". But what if there was a good suggestion that didn't record because this took it's place? Or another show get clipped or cancelled This really is something the tech guys should be working on. As it's one of the major features of the product.

Anyone can help me with the youtube app??? It just reset itself to the apps menu again while I watching a Fantasy Football Show from 1998.
This to me IS really annoying...especially because everything else about it works fine. You can fast forward faster than catch up and on demand too.

Which leads to this question I nearly forgot. Is there anyway to fast froward in large intervals using catch up (ITV and CH5)???
Old 24-03-2012, 21:10   #161
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
That may be 1 advantage...but the other disadvantages out weight this for me. Ok, you can say "just delete the extra shows and no harm done". But what if there was a good suggestion that didn't record because this took it's place? Or another show get clipped or cancelled This really is something the tech guys should be working on. As it's one of the major features of the product.
Well you could turn off clipping for a start. I have. Then it will seek out the next airing of a given show instead.

Also, the thing has three tuner so unless you're always recording a lot a stuff, there's every chance nothing will be missed
Old 24-03-2012, 21:28   #162
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
can anyone guess who she is? Indian in the UK from Nottingham???
Anjli Mohindra? (Thank you Wikipedia! Never heard of her )

Quote:
Anyone can help me with the youtube app??? It just reset itself to the apps menu again while I watching a Fantasy Football Show from 1998.
I think that's a known software error. It'll get fixed but I don't know when.

Quote:
Is there anyway to fast froward in large intervals using catch up (ITV and CH5)???
Fast-forward then skip-forward as many times as you need. (Or press and hold skip-forward to jump almost to the end? Can't remember if that works in VOD)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 21:59   #163
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Another one for this there then I watched every ep of "The Sarah Jane Adventures"
Old 25-03-2012, 03:41   #164
Bentex
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Well you could turn off clipping for a start. I have. Then it will seek out the next airing of a given show instead.

Also, the thing has three tuner so unless you're always recording a lot a stuff, there's every chance nothing will be missed
I don't really understand this? Can you explain in a little more detail please?

Quote:
Yes! Got it in one! I used to call him all the time when she was a little girl.
Never would have thought she would go on to other things like this.

Quote:
I think that's a known software error. It'll get fixed but I don't know when.

Fast-forward then skip-forward as many times as you need. (Or press and hold skip-forward to jump almost to the end? Can't remember if that works in VOD)
Yes, this works! I didn't even know about this. Thanks! Still not ideal. Would be nice to key in a number of the mins you want to start at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Another one for this there then I watched every ep of "The Sarah Jane Adventures"
Is SJA any good? I haven't seen it. All I know is that it's filmed in Cardiff as I overheard them talking about it. See is 22 now...but still no old pervs drooling please. As it's my best-buddie's sister I'll have do something Blokes up to 34 can do so. That's perfectly acceptable. I'm 32 and I ask a young lady Anj's age out not so long ago
Old 25-03-2012, 10:15   #165
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I don't really understand this? Can you explain in a little more detail please?
As I understand it, with clipping turned on, any clashes are dealt with by 'clipping' the recording of the programme with the lower-priority. But it will still record it; though you may not get all of it. With that option turned off, the clash will be resolved by Tivo automatically finding the next-available showing of the lower-priority programme that doesn't clash with any other recording.

Of course, this is only necessary when you're recording three things at once

Quote:
Is SJA any good? I haven't seen it. All I know is that it's filmed in Cardiff as I overheard them talking about it.
Well I like it, but then I like Doctor Who (the main show of course) the character of SJ and the late Lis Sladen too.

Quote:
See is 22 now...but still no old pervs drooling please.
Well I'm 22; again. Literally :p But, as I said in that thread, when you get to my age, they are all too young