Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Homeplug speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Homeplug speeds

Old 03-02-2011, 15:40   #16
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all
Re: Homeplug speeds

Thanks guys for all the info. I will probably invest in a couple of 200mbps homeplugs
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 16:05   #17
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Thanks guys for all the info. I will probably invest in a couple of 200mbps homeplugs
Or even some of the new 1000mbps units? Just a thought though, what router do you have? Wouldn't wireless N be cheaper and possibly more practical?
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 16:33   #18
Tod
Inactive

Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
Or even some of the new 1000mbps units? Just a thought though, what router do you have? Wouldn't wireless N be cheaper and possibly more practical?
Its for PS3 which only has very slow wireless built in.
Old 03-02-2011, 17:42   #19
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Its for PS3 which only has very slow wireless built in.
I see, I always thought the PS3 had wireless N built-in or a wireless N upgrade module? Might be thinking of the 360, I don't really know much about consoles, haven't owned one since the original X-Box and even that was given to me by a friend and I hardly used it. You could try a wireless N Ethernet bridge. Though I think that would probably cost more than the 200mb homeplugs, although maybe cheaper than the 1000mbps homeplugs.
Just FYI though, I had a pair of the cheap 85mb homeplugs from ebuyer and these performed faster at my friends house than a quality pair of 200mb units until we went around his house and unplugged anything that could interfere. After we removed anything that could interfere the 200mb units where faster by about 1MB/s (85=1.6MB/s 200=2.7MB/s) but the 85mb units coped much better with the interference.
Old 03-02-2011, 19:28   #20
Nollauno
Inactive

Nollauno is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been using 85mbp/s homeplugs for 5 years and had no problems. Although, you need to make sure that you plug your homeplug into a mains socket, not an extension as this will degrade the signal. I have check and have been pulling down at around 75mbp/s when both homeplug are connected into a mains socket.

Hope this helps
Andrew
Nollauno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 19:37   #21
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollauno View Post
I have been using 85mbp/s homeplugs for 5 years and had no problems. Although, you need to make sure that you plug your homeplug into a mains socket, not an extension as this will degrade the signal. I have check and have been pulling down at around 75mbp/s when both homeplug are connected into a mains socket.

Hope this helps
Andrew
A good quality extension (Depending on length) wont cause any noticeable speed loss. However a surge protected extension will.
Old 04-02-2011, 13:41   #22
Tod
Inactive

Quote:
I see, I always thought the PS3 had wireless N built-in or a wireless N upgrade module? Might be thinking of the 360, I don't really know much about consoles, haven't owned one since the original X-Box and even that was given to me by a friend and I hardly used it. You could try a wireless N Ethernet bridge. Though I think that would probably cost more than the 200mb homeplugs, although maybe cheaper than the 1000mbps homeplugs.
Just FYI though, I had a pair of the cheap 85mb homeplugs from ebuyer and these performed faster at my friends house than a quality pair of 200mb units until we went around his house and unplugged anything that could interfere. After we removed anything that could interfere the 200mb units where faster by about 1MB/s (85=1.6MB/s 200=2.7MB/s) but the 85mb units coped much better with the interference.
My PS3 wireless was getting max 10mb, but my laptop 19mb.
Old 06-02-2011, 00:26   #23
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Maybe this thread will add to your cup of information.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...kin-200-a.html

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 14:44   #24
Tod
Inactive

I have now got a couple of passthrough 200mbps Simpler Networks homeplugs from ebay. They are pretty much giving me the max speeds with my 20mb line - 19.1mbps down and 1.92mbps up.
Old 07-02-2011, 14:47   #25
Lister of Smeg
Permanently Banned

Lister of Smeg wont win a popularity contestLister of Smeg wont win a popularity contestLister of Smeg wont win a popularity contestLister of Smeg wont win a popularity contestLister of Smeg wont win a popularity contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
15-20 Mb throughput is about right for 85Mb homeplugs. It's what I (and others on here) get. The reason is that the homeplug protocol has higher overheads than wireless G. If you need higher speeds, you might want to consider 200 Mb homeplugs, though I don't what throughput you can expect from them.
My mate runs flat out 50Mb on the 200Mbps plugs.
Lister of Smeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 17:42   #26
jms
Inactive

jms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, looking for a bit of help regarding homeplugs.

Recently, we've been trying (unsuccessfully) to stream HD movie and TV files from my PC to our HDTV via PS3 Media Server. Streaming SD works, but HD is stuttering and buffers regularly.

We were told Homeplugs would be a better solution, but reading this topic has confused me a bit - do the speeds we get through Homeplugs depend on the speed of our phone line? We get about 8MB/s download speed, but are thinking of getting 200 MB/s homeplugs and connecting it as follows:

PC -> Home Hub 1 via Ethernet
Home plug 1 -> Home Hub via Ethernet
Home plug 2 -> PS3 via Ethernet

Will this give us enough speed to stream HD perfectly?

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it!
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 18:31   #27
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms View Post
Hi guys, looking for a bit of help regarding homeplugs.

Recently, we've been trying (unsuccessfully) to stream HD movie and TV files from my PC to our HDTV via PS3 Media Server. Streaming SD works, but HD is stuttering and buffers regularly.

We were told Homeplugs would be a better solution, but reading this topic has confused me a bit - do the speeds we get through Homeplugs depend on the speed of our phone line? We get about 8MB/s download speed, but are thinking of getting 200 MB/s homeplugs and connecting it as follows:

PC -> Home Hub 1 via Ethernet
Home plug 1 -> Home Hub via Ethernet
Home plug 2 -> PS3 via Ethernet

Will this give us enough speed to stream HD perfectly?

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it!
Internet speeds have no effect but your home wiring may have a huge effect. Only way to be sure is to buy a pair you can return if they are no good or see if u can lend a pair from a friend.
Old 03-04-2011, 18:49   #28
jms
Inactive

jms is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Internet speeds have no effect but your home wiring may have a huge effect. Only way to be sure is to buy a pair you can return if they are no good or see if u can lend a pair from a friend.
Thanks for the prompt reply, I really appreciate it. Any idea of a place that will accept returns of such items? Planning to get either the D-Link or Belkin 200 Mbps versions.
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 19:00   #29
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms View Post
... 200 Mbps versions.
Solwise sell a 1000 Mbps device (http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-gig-index.htm). They are based in Hull; why not give them a call and ask if they'll offer them sale-or-return?
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 21:08   #30
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

The 1000Mbit are overkill and they dont even hit near it..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002H0Y9G2/ Should be more than enough for your internet and sharing needs, they are cheap but fast/reliable.

Besides buying online also gives you 7 days to return as long as its in original condition... So dont remove the stickers :p
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote