Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Homeplug speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

plugging in a new pc to an existing VM surfboard 5100

Old 27-07-2010, 21:42   #1
Steve Day
Inactive

Steve Day is on a distinguished roadSteve Day is on a distinguished road
plugging in a new pc to an existing VM surfboard 5100

is it just a case of connecting up then rebooting the pc and modem?

i ask because i am sure i have done this before with a friends laptop and it wouldn't connect till after a reboot of the modem. (but its been so long ago i am very vague on this)

i am asking because having no connection when i do need to know this would not be a good time

wired surfboard 5100 no router. direct connection.

Steve
Steve Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2010, 21:46   #2
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Re: plugging in a new pc to an existing VM surfboard 5100

Connect up, turn power on to modem and let the lights settle out, turn pc on, job done.

If you want the connect to the other pc in the future then do the same again as you need to reboot the modem after every hardware change.
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 21:47   #3
zing_deleted

yes reboot modem once pc is on so it can allocate a new IP to the MAc
Old 27-07-2010, 21:48   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Just reboot the modem by powering it off and once it reboots the receive, send, online lights will all be solid and the pc/activity should be flashing and you should have a connection.

You need to reboot the modem every time you swap equipment unless you use a router.

3 identical answers all one minute apart.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 21:48   #5
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfair View Post
Connect up, turn power on to modem and let the lights settle out, turn pc on, job done.

If you want the connect to the other pc in the future then do the same again as you need to reboot the modem after every hardware change.
Can the modem read the Mac while the PC is off?
Old 27-07-2010, 21:50   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Can the modem read the Mac while the PC is off?
No it needs a live connection.

But it does end up with the same result, we would never ask a customer to reboot their computer as the boot up time can be ridiculous to say the least and time we do not have on a call.
Old 27-07-2010, 21:55   #7
Steve Day
Inactive

Steve Day is on a distinguished roadSteve Day is on a distinguished road

thank you chaps

much obliged. info is now squared away for future use.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 21:56   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Day View Post
thank you chaps

much obliged. info is now squared away for future use.

Cheers

Steve
It is exactly the same with any of the modems that we supply.
Old 27-07-2010, 23:32   #9
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

One addendum, you can actually switch devices without rebooting either modem or PC. Get your PC network card's MAC code, and then tell your other PC's network card to use the same code, usually there's an option in the driver settings to do this. If both devices use the same MAC you can hot-swap.

I do this with my PC, it has two network ports and my second port copies my router's external MAC (the one shown to the modem). This means I can hot-swap to direct modem connect if I have any router strangeness occur, or for test purposes, since I don't otherwise use my second network port.

One proviso, you can't have two devices with the same MAC on the same network. This means if you do get a router in the end you must remember to clear out the forced MAC or bad juju will be unleashed. You have been warned... {ominous laughter to echo-fade}
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50   #10
andrewk7
Inactive

andrewk7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible to attach an ethernet switch to the ethernet port of the Surfboard 5100 to allow more than 1 PC to access the cable connection? I am told the 5100 is not a router but can it act as a gateway? Also, how does the PC get its IP address - is there a DHCP server in the modem itself or is it served from the cable network somewhere?

Thanks

Andrew.
andrewk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:46   #11
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewk7 View Post
Is it possible to attach an ethernet switch to the ethernet port of the Surfboard 5100 to allow more than 1 PC to access the cable connection? I am told the 5100 is not a router but can it act as a gateway? Also, how does the PC get its IP address - is there a DHCP server in the modem itself or is it served from the cable network somewhere?

Thanks

Andrew.
You can connect an access point or a wireless router to one of our standalone routers so it should work.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:35   #12
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

A switch will not work as you need a device such as a router with DHCP server. The modem does not appear to have a DHCP facility so can only service one device directly connected.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:20   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
A switch will not work as you need a device such as a router with DHCP server. The modem does not appear to have a DHCP facility so can only service one device directly connected.

DHCP server is nothing to do with it as you can quite happily use local static addresses on the LAN as long as it's the same subnet as the gateway (you do though need a DHCP client on the WAN side of the rotuer). A switch will not work as it has no NAT capability and it's the NAT that seperates local addresses from the internet address and allows multiple local addresses to share the single internet address
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 14:35   #14
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

In hair-splitting mood today Kymmy?
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote