Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Cable land line and corded hand set power cuts

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Will virgin do VOIP soon?

Old 27-09-2010, 23:40   #1
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light
Question Will virgin do VOIP soon?

Anyone know if virgin are planning to do VOIP in the future, using the cable broadband and a VOIP phone? The audio quality would be much better and it would save us paying line rental as a phone line wouldn't be needed.

I certainly would like this.
virginruinedntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2010, 23:42   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will virgin do VOIP soon?

I doubt it. VoIP isn't yet reliable enough to be considered a full phone replacement
Old 28-09-2010, 00:26   #3
techguy
Inactive

techguy is an unknown quantity at this point

That's funny cos I could have sworn Sky (Easynet) and C&W LLU'd lines all use voip protocol for the voice traffic. Of course all the traffic is converted at the exchange to be carried over existing copper equipment all the way up to the customer. There's no reason the same can't be done on the catv coax. This is done in the USA. Though here, they had telephony pairs put in at the same time so don't really need voip over coax. They could though decide to migrate their current phone service to transmit and recieve voice traffic by voip if they wanted like Sky and C&W. Would probably save them cost long term . .but haven't they outsourced the telephony side of the cable network off to BT Wholesale for maintenance?? Think there was a press release about this some time ago.

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

in fact they do plan to migrate their existing telephony to voip...

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterpri...tching-network
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 00:28   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Carrying the traffic over IP is very different than offering a VoIP product instead of a classic landline
Old 28-09-2010, 19:03   #5
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Carrying the traffic over IP is very different than offering a VoIP product instead of a classic landline
Hmmm.

You may want to tell the millions of subscribers receiving their voice service via cable (without a twisted pair attached to it) and fibre optics that their VoIP services are unreliable.

VM are just sweating their telco network. They are still using legacy switches throughout instead of migrating to an IP network as BT have been. I guess they don't see the business case at this time.

This said there is no reason whatsoever why they cannot retire virtually all of the current telco network. They could do some extremely cool stuff if they did, some friends in Canada have caller ID flash up on their TV when a call comes in for example.

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy View Post
[/COLOR]in fact they do plan to migrate their existing telephony to voip...

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterpri...tching-network
That story is from 2007 and it's still not done as far as I'm aware.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 19:30   #6
TonyHoyle
Inactive

TonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about them

Modern call centres are all VOIP - I expect when you call VM 'support' your call travels mostly over IP beyond the initial leg. It's been standard in business for years (much easier to run an all IP network than manage two separate networks).

I run it pretty much all the time.. mainly because it lets me do cool things like having it redirect for free to my mobile, and I have multiple numbers so if a business only has a premium rate support line, I only give them my premium rate number :p
TonyHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 20:45   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Looks like I need to re-read up on VoIP. I thought there was a significant difference between consumer VoIP e.g. Vonage, and any IP telephony the networks used
Old 28-09-2010, 21:13   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I think its on the cards, the copper network in some areas is a joke, if only you can see the lengths that tech have to do to get a good pair in some areas!

It is no longer necessary to have a phone during a power cut as most folk have mobiles.
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 21:38   #9
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Looks like I need to re-read up on VoIP. I thought there was a significant difference between consumer VoIP e.g. Vonage, and any IP telephony the networks used
I work in the industry if you need any info / pointers.

BT are on the way to moving everybody from the TDM platform to IP. It makes it far easier to manage, everything can be put through one set of switches as opposed to two completely different incompatible switches, and segregated on packet level.

The tech VoIP companies use is SIP (Session Initiation Protocol), and is markedly different to pushing voice as IP on the back-end, which is what happens now.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 21:46   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
The tech VoIP companies use is SIP (Session Initiation Protocol), and is markedly different to pushing voice as IP on the back-end, which is what happens now.
That's what I thought.

Probably my own fault - I always class the term VoIP as the SIP stuff.