Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telephony Nightmare!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Virgin Media and Alarm System

Old 24-06-2010, 18:28   #1
eviehj
Inactive

eviehj is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media and Alarm System

After reporting a fault on my business line (crackly and distorted sounds) a VM engineer visited on 20th March 2010 and eventually told me he had repaired the fault. Today 24th June 2010 I had my yearly maintenance check on my alarm system and was told that the connection to the alarm checking centre via my home phone line had been disconnected. On looking up my call details I discovered that the daily call to the alarm centre had stopped on 20th March 2010! Phoning 151 I spoke to a manger who informed me that Virgin Media were not responsible and could do nothing. I pointed out that this was a fault caused by their engineer on a line I had not reported as faulty. Nothing doing.
I have been with VM since 2006 and have not had any problems with my phones or the alarm system connection. Have emailed the complaints department but meanwhile wondered if anyone else has had this sort of problem regarding alarm systems and phone connections?
eviehj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2010, 18:36   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media and Alarm System

Bit difficult to be trying to justify a fault having been caused by someone doing something when you have only just found it three months after the event, especially if it is a service unrelated to thing they were at your property to fix.

I'd be expressing some disquiet to your alarm company though. If the daily "check" call stops working surely something should have been flagged to you well before now from a monitoring centre.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 11:37   #3
eviehj
Inactive

Thanks Rob for your comments. Yes I feel a bit foolish that I was unaware of the alarm fault. It made all the right noises when we put it on and off. I'm going to have the system changed to Redcare - whatever that is. My monthly service charge will go up but they are installing it free (my Alarm people) and at least I won't be charged 18p everyday for the phone to dial in to the communications centre. I will mention the fact that the centre did not flag up the fault. VM have just phoned me (well that was quick I have to say) and still will not take any responsibility. My argument is that they came to fix a fault on another telephone line and then caused a fault on my home line and alarm system which was all working perfectly.

Off to the Citizen's Advice Bureau!

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

VM just back on the phone and have agreed to send engineer to look at the problem this afternoon. Perhaps they're not so bad with customer relations after all! I will post outcome.
Old 25-06-2010, 12:50   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Redcare is a dedicated phone line that has some form of self checking in place. Esentially if the line is cut that triggers the alarm monitoring centre. Often one of the things a bruglar will do is to try and sever a phone line so the alarm when triggered can't send a signal to the call centre giving the burglar pehaps a bit more time to do his thing before someone would arrive. Thus if you want your alarm to be reliably monitored redcare is the only practical solution. As a next level up I've heard of some alarms being backed up wth a mobile phone type remote calling too.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 16:18   #5
eviehj
Inactive

Thank you Rob - yes this is what my Alarm people suggested and mentioned the cutting of cables by burglars. They also mention the mobile phone thingummy as well.
Well I have to praise VM - 2 engineers came at 12.30 and have reconnected the system to the phone - seemed a fairly straightforward job. Problem now is that the alarm system is not working after trying to set it off to test and so another engineer has to come from the Alarm Company! (It started beeping late last night and I had to put code in to stop it, so may have further disabled it). They are anxious I sign up to this new system and said they may have problems getting the system operational as before. What a carry on!

Again, despite a lot of bad press regarding VM and their customer service, did finally get a positive result from them. They have assured me it is definitely connected now! It pays to be persistant and not take no for an answer.

Alarm engineers have just been and all is now back to working order. ToldWill still go for the Redcare package as I don't want this happening again.

Apparently this happens all the time with different phone companies so hope this gives a word of warning for others with alarm systems similar to mine.

Thanks again Rob for advice.

PS: VM have just rung to find out if everything is OK now !