Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 10-11-2008, 14:44   #31
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem
Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge View Post
They don't do anything when you phone up anyway, I informed VM that a person was using 3 chipped STB's, they got back to me and said they are on the basic package and no information was coming back off the box to suggest otherwise. I have spoken to some installers over the last few months and they have said, as long as you are signed up to the basic package there's no way they can trace you, one installer said that there were people out there who were running chipped boxes and had been for the last 5 or so years.
To be fair, what can VM do about it? If a customer is paying for their services, VM only have your word for it that they are also using chipped boxes. I doubt that VM would spend time, effort & money on getting the police involved & getting search warrents issued on the basis of a phone call.
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2008, 14:56   #32
Nilrem
Inactive

Nilrem is on a distinguished roadNilrem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFS03 View Post
To be fair, what can VM do about it? If a customer is paying for their services, VM only have your word for it that they are also using chipped boxes. I doubt that VM would spend time, effort & money on getting the police involved & getting search warrents issued on the basis of a phone call.
I would have hoped that in that sort of case a note could be put on the system for any future engineer call outs along the lines of "check box is normal, disconnect any spare lines" or something.

Mind you, you'd have to be pretty silly to call out an engineer if you're using a dodgy box instead of a legitimate one.
Nilrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 15:09   #33
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilrem View Post
I would have hoped that in that sort of case a note could be put on the system for any future engineer call outs along the lines of "check box is normal, disconnect any spare lines" or something.

Mind you, you'd have to be pretty silly to call out an engineer if you're using a dodgy box instead of a legitimate one.
So what proof exactly would get VM to come out..What actual proof do they actually need from someone phoning in response to these ads?
Old 10-11-2008, 17:49   #34
McMav
Inactive

McMav is an unknown quantity at this point

A major thing VM could start with is actually disconnecting all the addresses that have no contract with them that would chop a fair few of these dodgy boxes off for a start.
McMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 17:54   #35
Nilrem
Inactive

Nilrem is on a distinguished roadNilrem is on a distinguished road

What I mean, is if the person who may well be paying for a lower service, but using a dodgy box calls for an engineer due to a problem with say the line.

Not send the engineer out specially, but a note on the account to keep an eye out for signs that there has been any fiddling with the service if he's called out for a routine problem, and a note of exactly what is meant to be in use at the address (how many STB's etc).
For example Knockoff Nigel (not just DVD's any more:p) has VM's 3 most basic services, but he's not very with it and has a dodgy box in addition to his normal one - he has a line problem that requires an engineer to be called out, but not being too bright he leaves it connected in one room with his modem (or leaves the splitter in place).
The engineer calls round, and checks the levels on the lines* and having seen the "services" note logs the discrepency, and informs control when he gets back in case either the notes he got were wrong, or there is a theft of service.

Of course if VM already do give engineers a note of the exact services it's redundant**, and I would hope that the engineers would already keep an eye open for dodgy connections to the grey box etc (in the same way meter readers are, I believe meant to note if the gas/electric meter shows any signs of being tampered with).

*Something the better engineers seem to do for all the lines anyway whenever they deal with a signal problem on one (I guess in case that change affects the other lines).

**I know in the past I've had the odd engineer out who wasn't aware that we had 3 STB's on our account when we've had to call them out, and assumed the third line was just for the cable modem.
Nilrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 18:40   #36
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

So lets say a customer signs up for a basic package but swaps his box out for a dodgy one to receive all channels.
Surley VM can detect that the original box is no longer connected? It has a modem that has a mac address that will contact the servers for a IP address. If that box fails to connect over time then their should be a major clue.

Am i right?
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 19:07   #37
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Not really. What happens if someone goes away on holiday for six months and turns the STB off? Should Virgin automatically assume something dodgy is going on?
Old 10-11-2008, 20:10   #38
XFS03

Services: XL broadband ntl250 modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnymeg View Post
So lets say a customer signs up for a basic package but swaps his box out for a dodgy one to receive all channels.
Surley VM can detect that the original box is no longer connected? It has a modem that has a mac address that will contact the servers for a IP address. If that box fails to connect over time then their should be a major clue.

Am i right?
You are right, but that's not how a dodgy box would be connected.

Old 10-11-2008, 20:49   #39
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
No me neither Toto heck we haven't even got the space to put violent offenders behinds bars

Well if Maggie Thatcher was still in charge, she would have sorted them out.
Old 10-11-2008, 22:35   #40
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Let's not get too off topic please

I'm still not clear about this..Just what evidence does someone phoning VM on this new telephone number to report a dodgy illegal user have to provide for VM to be able to pursue the matter and gain a prosecution?
Old 10-11-2008, 23:03   #41
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Not really. What happens if someone goes away on holiday for six months and turns the STB off? Should Virgin automatically assume something dodgy is going on?
well then there would be no activity on their line then He's saying there is activity on the line but not from the STB that they have on record for that one
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 23:06   #42
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFS03 View Post
You are right, but that's not how a dodgy box would be connected.

Not in every case but it would back up other evidence such as a report on the phone.

I think really there is little VM can do other than change their encryption system which would be financially prohibitive.
IMHO the ads are merely to show willing to the shareholders.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 23:53   #43
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Let's not get too off topic please

I'm still not clear about this..Just what evidence does someone phoning VM on this new telephone number to report a dodgy illegal user have to provide for VM to be able to pursue the matter and gain a prosecution?
Was meant to be a bit of a joke, poking a bit of fun...
Old 11-11-2008, 03:11   #44
SB_07
Inactive

Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
SB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
The point being, if your caught obtaining services fraudulantly you will not only be disconnected from VM ,but as an added deterent you would also be blacklisted from obtaining services from another provider. As they would also be doing it to another provider, so would make sense to make it difficult for these people to get a service from whatever provider.
So you're basically saying anyone who gets caught with a dodgy VM box would go on and rip sky off aswell....yeah ok.
SB_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 14:18   #45
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
Was meant to be a bit of a joke, poking a bit of fun...
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote