Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why does my computer beep all the time?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Why does my computer beep all the time?

Old 20-12-2004, 23:07   #31
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: Why does my computer beep all the time?

I know my voltage alarm is actually a hi-lo siren-style beep, but if it'a just grazing the limit, it makes single beeps - I'm guessing it's going to be PSU voltage.

You can usually see voltages in "hardware health" in BIOS - but the system is not under load at that point.

I think 10% is the limit for many of them, though unless the system is reading them wrong (the uncalibrated chip is not particularly accurate), then they should be within 5%, preferably better
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-12-2004, 17:35   #32
xcdtowg
Inactive

xcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone

silly question time - xcdtowg, is it possible you already have a hardware monitor running & it is that generating the beeps?
I have some sort of hardware monitor that came with my mobo, its uGuru when the ppl in the shop didnt put the fan in properly, the NB fan was red, as the motherboard didnt detect it, and thas what was causing the shut downs, but they are all green now, so i guess thats a good sign!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhoenix
Intermittent beeps, short ones.... hmmm i would hazard a guess at a ps2 device, either the mouse or keyboard, might be shorting on specific movement (mouse) or keypress (keyboard)
well my mouse is a bit weird actually, the light on the mwheel flashes rapidly some of the time, and sometimes when i use the mwheel it does the beep thing. I just thought it was a coincidence though. I'll try changing the mouse to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again!

-Gem
xcdtowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 18:24   #33
keithwalton
Inactive

keithwalton has reached the bronze age
keithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze age

Hardware monitering programs are usually motherboard specific not just manufacturer specific.
This is due to different monitering chips being used on different boards. Abit do seem to vary what they use alot, But they have been developing the program uGuru to be a more consistant program across all there newer boards.
In the past they just used the program provided by winbond / via etc.

Back to the beeps, apart from windows login is there any other particular pattern to them. Also your computer should beep just before it starts windows, does it sound anything like that one ?
Also a beep on loading the login screen is a fairly common occurence especially with machines that either dont have sound cards or sound card drivers start late.

Its been doing it since you bought the thing ? I actually wouldn't be too worried about it if its lasted this long though it could be quite a nussence.

Btw - all your stats in the picture look fine to me, although cpu core looks a little low, unless your using a P4 'Prescott' that is.

Edit - Just checked the abit site for the mobo, and yes you'll be running a prescott, quite a strange board you have. It's a mixed generation thing. New socket, older everything else.

Somthing I would recomend you doing though I head caution in doing so (read all warnings, follow instructions to the letter) is to update the bios. Since there has only been the one update and thats quite recent I doubt your running it. Original firmware can be quite buggy and not all fixes are documented.
A link to abits update site for your mobo - http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=212
keithwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 00:39   #34
xcdtowg
Inactive

xcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to beholdxcdtowg is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton

Back to the beeps, apart from windows login is there any other particular pattern to them. Also your computer should beep just before it starts windows, does it sound anything like that one ?
Also a beep on loading the login screen is a fairly common occurence especially with machines that either dont have sound cards or sound card drivers start late

Something I would recomend you doing though I head caution in doing so (read all warnings, follow instructions to the letter) is to update the bios. Since there has only been the one update and thats quite recent I doubt your running it. Original firmware can be quite buggy and not all fixes are documented.
A link to abits update site for your mobo - http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios.php?categories=1&model=212
Theres not really a pattern to the beeps, apart from it always does it when i load games, normally quite a few times, and the odd few while playing. But other times it seems random, nothing specific that i'm doing everytime. It beeps before it loads windows, the ordinary kind of beep, and then as its finished loading the login screen it beeps again and after that it could happen anytime, normally frightening the life out of me when i havnt got any music playing!

I've looked into updating my bios before, but i saw the recent update and was a bit wary about doing it. I might look into it again though.

Thanks alot for your help!

-Gem
xcdtowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2004, 01:05   #35
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

3.44 for the 3.3 is over 4% high - the 5V is also on the high side, so eiter of those could drift a little higher.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ - if MBM supports your board/cvhipset, it has options to do interval logging and show the high/low limits (even without storing the log).

The other suspicion, is the CPU FAN is reading only just over 2000 RPM, some CPU fan alerts are a bit fussy, and low speed fans like perhaps an aerocool blower at low speed don't keep them happy.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote