Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Best Router

Old 16-04-2012, 12:14   #1
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k
Best Router

I am currently using the superhub and have lasted about 8 months and tbh I can't cope with it anymore.

I am looking to buy a new one an wondered if anyone had any suggestions as o which is the best?

Cheers
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2012, 12:43   #2
CaramaC
cf.member

CaramaC has disabled reputation
Re: Best Router

D-Link-DIR-655

You won't go far wrong with this router in my opinion. It's also a pretty decent price now, I paid around £90 for it a few years back.
CaramaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 13:49   #3
Xan
Inactive

Xan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the rough

I'm using the Linksys E4200 v1 with dd-wrt been working great, no more Xbox Disconnects since i'v had it.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 13:53   #4
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I am using the asus rt n16 with tomatousb
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:08   #5
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

opinion
if you think SH can not go more far why dont you ask them for a new one so will save you money...unless you want something more from a router
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:15   #6
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k

Yeah the dlink is good had one a few years ago and it died that's why. Ended up getting the superhub!

Looking at the Airport Extreme and the asus n66u

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by babis3g View Post
opinion
if you think SH can not go more far why dont you ask them for a new one so will save you money...unless you want something more from a router
This is the second one we have had and still have the same problems with the wireless and that. It was only swapped a few weeks ago!
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:30   #7
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I am using the asus rt n16 with tomatousb
Same here, no issues with it at all. Great
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 14:47   #8
babis3g
Inactive

babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

Looking at the Airport Extreme and the asus n66u[COLOR="Silver"]

Hmmmm...you make me think about it...does any one know if can get third party software like tomato usb??? the web from a quick look dont say anything
http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireles...N66U/#overview
Old 16-04-2012, 17:09   #9
crazybones
Inactive

crazybones is an unknown quantity at this point

Another vote for the Linksys E4200 v1. All my problems with the lack of range and regular (daily) disconnects were resolved following installation of the Linksys and switching the SH to modem only mode.
crazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 18:10   #10
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by babis3g View Post
Looking at the Airport Extreme and the asus n66u[COLOR="Silver"]

Hmmmm...you make me think about it...does any one know if can get third party software like tomato usb??? the web from a quick look dont say anything
http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireles...N66U/#overview
It would appear the asus n66u can run tomatousb
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 18:20   #11
babis3g
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
It would appear the asus n66u can run tomatousb
thanks
Old 16-04-2012, 18:58   #12
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

I'm doing the same research at the moment.

I was going to go with either Asus RT-N56U, Apple Extreme or Linksys E4200 (With the Linky in the lead)

However, I am thinking I will wait and see what come out in the next few weeks.
gaz2810i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:24   #13
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz2810i View Post
I'm doing the same research at the moment.

I was going to go with either Asus RT-N66U, Apple Extreme or Linksys E4200 (With the Linky in the lead)

However, I am thinking I will wait and see
I'm in the same position and think it's best to wait a bit longer too, as three potentially very good Dual-band routers have just come out (with one yet to be released in the UK), but they're a bit expensive at the moment (and their firmware is a bit immature). Hopefully they'll fall in price in a couple of months:

Asus RT-N66U (Already mentioned, but considering how well received the RT-N56U was, could be very good)
D-link DIR-827 HD Media Router 2000 (CNET: The D-Link DIR-827 is a very good true dual-band router that needs a firmware upgrade so it can live up to its potential.)
Linksys EA4500 (I think this is the replacement for the E4200, though don't know when it's coming to the UK. Very positive reviews on Amazon.com).
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 20:10   #14
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbryanw View Post
I'm in the same position and think it's best to wait a bit longer too, as three potentially very good Dual-band routers have just come out (with one yet to be released in the UK), but they're a bit expensive at the moment (and their firmware is a bit immature). Hopefully they'll fall in price in a couple of months:

Asus RT-N66U (Already mentioned, but considering how well received the RT-N56U was, could be very good)
D-link DIR-827 HD Media Router 2000 (CNET: The D-Link DIR-827 is a very good true dual-band router that needs a firmware upgrade so it can live up to its potential.)
Linksys EA4500 (I think this is the replacement for the E4200, though don't know when it's coming to the UK. Very positive reviews on Amazon.com).
I had not seen the D-link but the other two are certainly at the top of my wait list.
gaz2810i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 20:47   #15
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

I am using the E4200 v2 it is working great

This is on wireless
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote