Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Homeplug speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Homeplug speeds

Old 03-02-2011, 11:10   #1
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all
Homeplug speeds

I am trying to get my head round the speed of my homeplugs.....can anyone offer some expert advice?

I have two 85mbps homeplugs, I have set them up where they are showing they are connecting together at the full speed 85mbps with their software utility.

On my 20mb broadband running through homplugs I get speeds on speedtest of about 15mb

With my 54mbps wireless connection speedtest shows 19mb.

How come wireless is faster? Can anyone explain?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 11:21   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Homeplug speeds

15-20 Mb throughput is about right for 85Mb homeplugs. It's what I (and others on here) get. The reason is that the homeplug protocol has higher overheads than wireless G. If you need higher speeds, you might want to consider 200 Mb homeplugs, though I don't what throughput you can expect from them.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:37   #3
andybuk99
Inactive

andybuk99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont forget the noise on the line and whether the plugs are on the same circuit or not.
andybuk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59   #4
Tod
Inactive

Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

The bit that perplexed me is wireless is 54mbps, and homeplugs are 85mbps - so why is homeplug slower?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:00   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
The reason is that the homeplug protocol has higher overheads than wireless G.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:06   #6
Tod
Inactive

Quote:
The reason is that the homeplug protocol has higher overheads than wireless G.
Ahh right, so if my broadband was 30mb my homeplub might be giving me 25mb allowing for overheads?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:39   #7
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Erm, no. I'm not sure why you would think that. 15-20Mb seems to be pretty much the maximum you can expect.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:45   #8
Tod
Inactive

I believe you, as my homeplug proves this..... but 85mbps is 31mbps more than 54mbps - those overheads must be huge.

I am sure I have seen test results saying homeplug 85 is better than wireless g - which it clearly isn't - or not as I unerstand it it's not.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:50   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

According to smallnetbuilder's reviews homeplug speed vary greatly and can be anywhere between 10-15mb on the worst kit to 25-35mb on middle-range gear and 40-50mbs on the better stuff. It's as much a case of noise and line conditions as overheads.

Wireless G is pretty much stagnant at ~20-25mbps and there's no gear that goes over this and very little that goes under.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:51   #10
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I believe you, as my homeplug proves this..... but 85mbps is 31mbps more than 54mbps - those overheads must be huge.

I am sure I have seen test results saying homeplug 85 is better than wireless g - which it clearly isn't - or not as I unerstand it it's not.
It depends. In terms of stability homeplugs beat wireless hands down. In terms of speed, it depends. Having a look around, it seems that the 200 Mb homeplugs can deliver about 60Mb, so they might suit your needs better. But again, the realistic throughput is coniderably lower than the rated speed.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:54   #11
savenosouls
Inactive

savenosouls is on a distinguished roadsavenosouls is on a distinguished road

I have Netgear 200Mb/s home plugs & 10Mb/s internet from Virgin - I regularly get 10Mb/s torrent downloads hardwired into the home plugs.

If a do a test on the home plugs they reports anything from 50Mb/s up to 200Mb/s at the hard wired end
savenosouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:59   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Take a look at this:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...-network-speed
Old 03-02-2011, 13:01   #13
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by savenosouls View Post

If a do a test on the home plugs they reports anything from 50Mb/s up to 200Mb/s at the hard wired end
Is that a speed as reported by the homeplugs, or is it the actual speed you get when moving a file over the network?
Old 03-02-2011, 13:19   #14
savenosouls
Inactive

savenosouls is on a distinguished roadsavenosouls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is that a speed as reported by the homeplugs, or is it the actual speed you get when moving a file over the network?
That is as reported by the Netgear software that analyzes the home plugs on the network. I actually have 4 homplugs in 2 pairs

My internet comes from my elderly motorola cable modem - homeplug 1 - to paired homeplug 2 and then into a netgear G wireless router (purely to move the wireless router away from the moden reducing cabling, the router is actually in a storage cupboard that fortunately has a socket in it), from one of the router ports I have another 2 paired homeplug to take a hardwired signal elsewhere (or infact anywhere I have a plugpoint)

EDIT:- I should add I have 2 of the homeplugs in power strip extensions, Netgear say that this can have an effect on speed - homwever I don't really notice it.
savenosouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 13:52   #15
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by savenosouls View Post
That is as reported by the Netgear software that analyzes the home plugs on the network. I actually have 4 homplugs in 2 pairs
Ah. That'll be the 'connection speed', which doesn't take overheads into account. My homeplugs may report a connection speed of near 85 Mb (haven't looked at it in ages, so I don't know), but the throughput as measured by a file transfer will not exceed 20 Mb.