Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PS2 Screen aspect ratio

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PS2 Screen aspect ratio

Old 12-03-2009, 18:06   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
PS2 Screen aspect ratio

Hello all

I've had a PS2 for eons, and it has been disused for quite a while. Now it's got a new lease of life as our son is old enough to be taking an interest in it. But I've forgotten how to set it up for a widescreen TV.

Does anyone know whether I should have the confisguration set to 'full' or '16:9' for use on a standard-def, widescreen TV? And are all PS2 games designed for full anamorphic widescreen? Whichever settings and games I try I don't seem to be making a scrap of difference.

TIA.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2009, 18:19   #2
zing_deleted

Re: PS2 Screen aspect ratio

if you set it to full you would be getting 4:3 wouldnt you? big black bars either side? does your TV auto size to 16:9 meaning its gonna stretch any broadcast to fit? I always set that option off as a 4:3 stretched looks awful
Old 12-03-2009, 18:20   #3
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

Widescreen on PS2 depends entirely on the game - some use it, some don't. If your TV auto-detects, it should switch itself between 4:3 and 16:9 as appropriate. For 4:3 games, I always used to set my TV to 14:9 or Zoom, depending on how much of the screen I was happy to lose.
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 19:18   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
if you set it to full you would be getting 4:3 wouldnt you? big black bars either side? does your TV auto size to 16:9 meaning its gonna stretch any broadcast to fit? I always set that option off as a 4:3 stretched looks awful
Yes ... my original assumption was that I should choose 16:9 rather than full. It was only when it didn't appear to make any difference that I began wondering if I'd made the wrong choice.

The TV switches to 16:9 correctly for TV broadcasts but I've yet to see it happen on a PS2 game.

Sounds like Paranomia has hit it on the head though, if it depends on the game maybe I just don't have any widescreen games. I don't have many, and they're pretty old. I am rediscovering Crazy Taxi this evening.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 23:06   #5
Paranoimia
Inactive

Paranoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really niceParanoimia is just really nice

If you had, for example, Gran Turismo 4, you should find that it outputs in 16:9.
Paranoimia is offline   Reply With Quote