Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | June 8th General Election

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

June 8th General Election
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for on 8th June?
Conservatives 47 48.96%
Labour 24 25.00%
Liberal Democrats 9 9.38%
UKIP 4 4.17%
Greens 2 2.08%
Other 5 5.21%
None, I will Abstain. 5 5.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-05-2017, 10:13   #541
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: June 8th General Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
HMRC can investigate anyone whose deemed to have tried to shift their assets ahead of death/court cases/etc to avoid paying tax or penalties. I think any 'gifts' from parent to child made 5 to 10 years before the parents death can be deemed liable to tax. I imagine they can do the same here. The details of course would need to be worked out. There will now be an army of lawyers looking for such loopholes.

As for paying into the system, well a lot of us do. We still run deficits and taxation isn't a savings account. Education is expensive, healthcare is expensive, social care is expensive and pensions are very expensive. If we had a system whereby your contributions during your lifetime were the basis for your pension and social care needs in old age then a lot of people who 'paid into the systems all their lives' would be getting less, not more.

This is a fair policy in my views. It doesn't mean old people will lose their homes but it's a solution to the crisis in social care. We need to pay for social care somehow and it seems fair to me that recipients who can afford it contribute to some of the cost from their existing assets after their death.

Where else would the money came from?

taxing the dead eh
i'll see the taxman in hell then ,bring a cold drink
Old 18-05-2017, 10:15   #542
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
taxing the dead eh
Well technically they would have sold off equity in their home before their death so the transaction occurred while they were alive.
Old 18-05-2017, 10:28   #543
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
How many OAPs voted UKIP originally I wonder?
Not that many.
Old 18-05-2017, 10:36   #544
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

There's a huge problem coming up because at the moment the bank of mum and dad is increasingly helping their adult offspring to get on the housing ladder and I doubt very much that this current generation of beneficiaries will be in the same position when it's their turn. If that's the case we're going to increasingly find that the number of older people with assets is to pay for all the social care they need is going to reduce. That'll mean everyone will have to make up the difference via taxation.

I think we all need to accept that social care has to be paid for and is creating massive extra costs for and pressures on the NHS which it can well do without so any investment in it will be money well spent IMHO. I see no reason why this shouldn't be paid for out of extra income tax or indeed out of something a tad more imaginative like a lottery which I'm sure a lot of people would find a very worthy cause indeed, even if they choose not to support the current lottery.

Last edited by Osem; 18-05-2017 at 10:53.
Old 18-05-2017, 10:42   #545
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
There's a huge problem coming up because at the moment the bank of mum and dad is increasingly helping their adult offspring to get on the housing ladder and I doubt very much that this current generation of beneficiaries will be in the same position when it's their turn. If that's the case we're going to increasingly find that the number of older people with assets is to pay for all the social care they need is going to reduce. That'll mean everyone will have to make up the difference via taxation.
Yes I think that would be a better solution anyway. Put up NI with this is mind. Still at least it's a start towards a solution.

It's also the least suitable to loopholes.

Last edited by Damien; 18-05-2017 at 10:50.
Old 18-05-2017, 11:06   #546
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

What ought to be outlawed is the system whereby basic privately funded social care is often charged for at a higher rate as that funded by the state. It seems terribly unfair that some people are having to pay much more for identical care.

Of course if people want to fund better care, higher quality accommodation etc that's up to them, but the basic level ought to cost the same for everyone no matter who's paying the bill.
Old 18-05-2017, 11:26   #547
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post

I think we all need to accept that social care has to be paid for and is creating massive extra costs for and pressures on the NHS which it can well do without so any investment in it will be money well spent IMHO. I see no reason why this shouldn't be paid for out of extra income tax or indeed out of something a tad more imaginative like a lottery which I'm sure a lot of people would find a very worthy cause indeed, even if they choose not to support the current lottery.
Bloody hell, are you feeling alright today? like Theresa clobbering pensioners, you're almost talking sense. The young generation are being given a very bad deal ; being asked to support rich pensioners benefits, none of which they'll get themselves, if they ever can retire.

No need to vote Labour, TM herself is the opposition to the Tory party. The comments from irate pensioners in the Fail and Torygraph are very amusing.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
taxing the dead eh
The HMRC are coming for you Smurf
Old 18-05-2017, 11:45   #548
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Abortion, gay rights and how the Lib Dem leader I once respected sold his soul, writes QUENTIN LETTS, who watched the manifetso launch through a cloud of smoke

this makes an interesting read about tim farron and his disappearing principles

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4hQE4jNtI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old 18-05-2017, 13:18   #549
Osem
Inactive

If the Lib-Dems thought Farron was the antidote to Clegg they're going to be proved wrong I feel. IN his defence I feel he's a lot more more sincere than his predecessor.
Old 18-05-2017, 13:24   #550
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Clegg was still well liked by his party when he stepped down. The alternatives were poor. Farron has been poor and I am surprised how unready they were to deal with the questions about his faith. They were there during the leadership campaign so how surprised can they be that it's come up in the General Election? You can bet The Guardian have more stuff ready to roll out as well.

In some ways Farron's positions are still liberal, he has differentiated between his personal religion views and his politics. So he is against abortion from a moral view but thinks it should be legal. But how he was allowed himself to get into this situation is absurd. May is also religious but doesn't seem to have this problem.
Old 18-05-2017, 13:52   #551
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Only 4 candidates standing in Stevenage. Conservative, Labour, Liberals and Greens. No idea who to vote for, the incumbent candidate voted to Leave the EU so might well go for him. However, none of the parties really excite me. Which would be worse, not voting or voting for the Green party?
Old 18-05-2017, 13:58   #552
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Only 4 candidates standing in Stevenage. Conservative, Labour, Liberals and Greens. No idea who to vote for, the incumbent candidate voted to Leave the EU so might well go for him. However, none of the parties really excite me. Which would be worse, not voting or voting for the Green party?
Not voting IMO.

But do what you want. Stevenage looks to be safe for the Tories with a 9 point lead in 2015 over Labour who were the 2nd cloest. So Greens/Liberals no chance, Labour the longest of long shots.

You can vote for the party you like best, vote tactically between Tory/Labour or not vote. I would do the former given the margin of the Tory led.
Old 18-05-2017, 14:07   #553
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze

I'm guessing the fact he was FOR leaving EU, that's why UKIP aren't standing. If they had been, I would have voted for them. Now, I need to consider who I vote for. Don't know much about the Greens to be honest, I do have a manager at work who stood in the local elections for them so might ask him about their policies before I vote. Mine is a postal vote again.
Old 18-05-2017, 14:09   #554
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
I'm guessing the fact he was FOR leaving EU, that's why UKIP aren't standing. If they had been, I would have voted for them. Now, I need to consider who I vote for. Don't know much about the Greens to be honest, I do have a manager at work who stood in the local elections for them so might ask him about their policies before I vote. Mine is a postal vote again.
Greens are pro-EU if that's any help.
Old 18-05-2017, 14:42   #555
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

Oh are they? Thanks Damien, helps me decide I will probably just vote for the Tory.
Closed Thread