Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is it possible to combine virgin cable broadband and normal terrestrial TV?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Extending cable

Old 04-05-2011, 20:19   #1
Brenty
Inactive

Brenty is an unknown quantity at this point
Extending cable

Hi
I've just redecorated and moved the second V box within the same room. The original cable is too short so I connected a length of cable which fits into the box ok and, with a connector, seems to fit to the end of the virgin cable.

But when I boot, the box stops on AP52 and the heart symbol flashes on the box.

Is the cable I've added not compatible, is it the metal connector or am I missing something?

Got an engineer booked for tomorrow but will cancel as I don't want to pay £99.

Cheers
Brenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2011, 20:27   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Extending cable

Any alteration to your cable set-up will alter your signal levels. If these become too high or too low as a result, your service will malfunction or else break down altogether.

Using top-quality cable with properly crimped (or moulded) f-connectors on either end can minimize the signal disruption, but if you are confident you have done a decent job with the new cable, and it is still not working, then your only remedy (assuming you can't just put everything back the way it was) is to have Virgin out and pay the £99. The tech will make up your new cable and make any necessary adjustments (including at the street cabinet if required) to compensate for the altered signal level.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 21:01   #3
Brenty
Inactive

Thanks Chris.
I have plugged the original cable back in and had it working gain so will prob go with that. Contract is nearly up so could try and tell them I'll and go with Sky unless they extend the cable for free. You never know.
Old 11-05-2011, 18:22   #4
SPEEDWAY
Inactive

Services: VIP50,Tivo,V+Hd,XXL-BB,42"Plasma,Onkyo TSR606,WDTV-live,LG N2R1 Nas
SPEEDWAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone advise on best quality cable to use in this situation?

I've just moved a V+Hd box ino another room by adding 5m on to the existing 2m cable with a joiner(not touching any of the VM installation) and although it worked fine for a week its now playing up.

online light keeps flashing/no access to VoD or catch up and occasional
pixellation.Took it downstairs and swapped with the Tivo to check the box and it was perfect.

Of course my fault for buying cheap made up cable from B&Q it didn't look great.

But VM are over the top with the charges, its just a cable round the spare room and through a hole in the wall, used those smart face plates with the brushes like a letter box draught excluder for a neat finish.
SPEEDWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 00:58   #5
thedavid2007
Inactive

thedavid2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDWAY View Post
Can anyone advise on best quality cable to use in this situation?

I've just moved a V+Hd box ino another room by adding 5m on to the existing 2m cable with a joiner(not touching any of the VM installation) and although it worked fine for a week its now playing up.

online light keeps flashing/no access to VoD or catch up and occasional
pixellation.Took it downstairs and swapped with the Tivo to check the box and it was perfect.

Of course my fault for buying cheap made up cable from B&Q it didn't look great.

But VM are over the top with the charges, its just a cable round the spare room and through a hole in the wall, used those smart face plates with the brushes like a letter box draught excluder for a neat finish.
If you start your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses, then you might get some answers.

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenty View Post
Thanks Chris.
I have plugged the original cable back in and had it working gain so will prob go with that. Contract is nearly up so could try and tell them I'll and go with Sky unless they extend the cable for free. You never know.
£99 for fixing the cable, stuff that. The cable you need for an extension will have an f-plug on each end and you'll need an f-coupler to join it to the original cable. It's not hard to find digital tv cable these days. You can get all you need online for a few pounds.
thedavid2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:10   #6
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

What you should have done is left the service call open, put the box back where it was. Then asked the tech if he would extend it for you.....he can only say no......but in my experience customer satisfaction is king and i am sure you would have been looked after.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:50   #7
SPEEDWAY
Inactive

Services: VIP50,Tivo,V+Hd,XXL-BB,42"Plasma,Onkyo TSR606,WDTV-live,LG N2R1 Nas
SPEEDWAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavid2007 View Post
If you start your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses, then you might get some answers.

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:53 ----------

£99 for fixing the cable, stuff that. The cable you need for an extension will have an f-plug on each end and you'll need an f-coupler to join it to the original cable. It's not hard to find digital tv cable these days. You can get all you need online for a few pounds.
Oh well you can't keep everyone civil can you!!!!

Always told to search the forum - it was the same basic question I believed.

Thank you all the helpful and polite people we generally meet on this forum,Keep up the GOOD work and PLEASANT ATTITUDE.
SPEEDWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:54   #8
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavid2007 View Post
now that's not very helpful at all. Don't be so rude.
Old 12-05-2011, 20:44   #9
Brenty
Inactive

Hi

Just to update you -
I rang Virgin and had a frustrating call to "Customer Services". An assistant and then a supervisor both told me that we had the longest cable possible already. I asked them how long that was (didn't know) and how far from the entry point to the house my box is (didn't know). But they did know that it was not possible to have a longer cable inside the house.

I said I'd heard that they could extend it but I wasn't happy about paying as it could easily have been put on the other side of the doorway when first installed. If the technician hadn't been so miserable and unwilling I would have done or at least had some spare cable left. Anyway, the supervisor then said it could be done of course for £75 (not the £99 I've heard elsewhere). Wasn't at all interested in keeping our business even when I pointed out we are out of contract next month. We pay over £60 a month and they'd sooner lose business to Sky.

Just referred our next door neighbours and it seems they had the same technician - miserable, lazy and too keen to get out and leave them with an unhelpful cable point.

Rubbish customer service an Sky's gain.