Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock
Closed Thread

Old 25-11-2011, 10:14   #61
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I am sorry sorry to here about any job loss in the UK . A backward step I feel in losing UK jobs to the far east. Are there any petitions out there ? or is it a done deal .
As with all big business its mushroom management.
The petition is via the link above.
Advertisement
Old 25-11-2011, 13:43   #62
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

So, is it the case that everybody can keep their jobs if they are prepared to move to Swansea?
Old 25-11-2011, 15:07   #63
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

I've signed the petition - in the vain hope that VM will take notice.

By the way - I notice the CWU are calling for Richard Branson to stop the closure. I thought he had no connection with VM?
Old 25-11-2011, 15:17   #64
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls9 View Post
I've signed the petition - in the vain hope that VM will take notice.

By the way - I notice the CWU are calling for Richard Branson to stop the closure. I thought he had no connection with VM?
He does not own Virgin Media but any bad publicity may prompt some action possibly.
Old 25-11-2011, 15:54   #65
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
He does not own Virgin Media but any bad publicity may prompt some action possibly.
Let's hope so.
Old 25-11-2011, 16:43   #66
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
So, is it the case that everybody can keep their jobs if they are prepared to move to Swansea?
If you are job matched, yes.
Old 25-11-2011, 17:52   #67
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
He doesn't own it, but he's still a large shareholder, and obviously Brand owner.

but it's irrelevant, if it has to shut, then it'll shut.
Old 25-11-2011, 18:02   #68
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
He doesn't own it, but he's still a large shareholder, and obviously Brand owner.

but it's irrelevant, if it has to shut, then it'll shut.
He has approx 7/10% shares but does not have anything to do with running the business as it is still NTL/Telewest behind the facade.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:41   #69
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
If you are job matched, yes.
So those people can keep their job if they choose to

What about those that aren't "job matched"? Will they be redeployed or retrained etc?
Old 26-11-2011, 10:50   #70
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
So those people can keep their job if they choose to *move home from Liverpool to Swansea*
There. I corrected your post by adding the extremely non-trivial information you somehow forgot to include.
Old 26-11-2011, 12:55   #71
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Can I ask if there was any suggestion of the costs of moving house being taken into account..It's not exactly cheap to move.
Old 26-11-2011, 13:02   #72
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So those people can keep their job if they choose to

What about those that aren't "job matched"? Will they be redeployed or retrained etc?
Not much of a choice for most, as only a tiny percentage will be able to move to Swansea as they will have family commitments etc in Liverpool. It's a fair distance to relocate to. Of course I'm not privvy to everyones plans around this.

Anyone who isn't job matched will be made redundant. They can apply for other roles within VM or any other company if they wish to, but there is no guarantee of a job at the end of it.

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Can I ask if there was any suggestion of the costs of moving house being taken into account..It's not exactly cheap to move.
There is a relocation package, yes.
Old 26-11-2011, 13:13   #73
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Not much of a choice for most, as only a tiny percentage will be able to move to Swansea as they will have family commitments etc in Liverpool. It's a fair distance to relocate to. Of course I'm not privvy to everyones plans around this.

Anyone who isn't job matched will be made redundant. They can apply for other roles within VM or any other company if they wish to, but there is no guarantee of a job at the end of it.

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

There is a relocation package, yes.
Well it's not much but at least it should make the move easier.

As for everyone else I'm sorry for them all.Indeed my sympathies go to everyone else facing redundancies at the moment.
Old 26-11-2011, 13:21   #74
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The social cost of a long-distance job-move can be far higher than the basic financial cost of hiring a removal van and arranging house sale/purchase, though the emotional costs even of those things should not be under-stated.

I have taken the long-distance relocation option once before following a buy-out so I am well aware of the long-lasting implications, especially for those with families. I find the statement "they can move if they choose to" to be lacking in any understanding or empathy for the implications of it and I find the attachment of a smiley to that statement to be both highly patronising and, given the evident lack of understanding, misplaced in the extreme.
Old 26-11-2011, 13:41   #75
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There. I corrected your post by adding the extremely non-trivial information you somehow forgot to include.
Many people move all the time, either in order to keep their job when their employer relocates or to obtain promotion, it's commonplace.

It all depends on how seriously people wish to be in employment and/or work for VM in particular. In the current economic climate, I would advise staff to think very carefully indeed, if they are lucky enough to be jobmatched.

Of course, there will be limited circumstances where a move may be more problematic eg having seriously ill family members in Liverpool, having a partner who is settled in a good career there etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I would imagine so, most companies have some sort of relocation package. Ours is called a "disturbance allowance".

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The social cost of a long-distance job-move can be far higher than the basic financial cost of hiring a removal van and arranging house sale/purchase, though the emotional costs even of those things should not be under-stated.

I have taken the long-distance relocation option once before following a buy-out so I am well aware of the long-lasting implications, especially for those with families. I find the statement "they can move if they choose to" to be lacking in any understanding or empathy for the implications of it and I find the attachment of a smiley to that statement to be both highly patronising and, given the evident lack of understanding, misplaced in the extreme.
The smile was to indicate my pleasure that some people will be offered the chance not to lose their job.
Closed Thread