Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Goodbye Virgin Hello Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Goodbye Virgin Hello Sky

Old 26-02-2012, 15:27   #31
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
Re: Goodbye Virgin Hello Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFTW View Post
What area? What is your exchange?

Its strange for VM to cable an area that isn't highly populated and therfore served buy a few different exchanges. Its only really out in the sticks where you're 4 or 5 miles from the exchange you get less than 2Mb.
I live in Harlow Essex mate quite densly populated in our area but i am still around 4.5-5 miles form my local exchange around the houses.
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2012, 15:27   #32
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
What area? What is your exchange?

Its strange for VM to cable an area that isn't highly populated and therfore served buy a few different exchanges. Its only really out in the sticks where you're 4 or 5 miles from the exchange you get less than 2Mb.
Well my parents have Sky's broadband and their speed sometimes is no more then 1Mb at times.
Old 26-02-2012, 15:29   #33
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

Come July when VM will be giving me UPTO 60Mb wonderful BT will go right upto 6Mb, is there really any contest???
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 15:32   #34
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob View Post
Come July when VM will be giving me UPTO 60Mb wonderful BT will go right upto 6Mb, is there really any contest???
No its like a heavyweight(Virgin) against a bantamweight(Sky) in my opinion.
Old 26-02-2012, 15:34   #35
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

And no signs of BT FTTC planned
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 15:40   #36
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
I live in Harlow Essex mate quite densly populated in our area but i am still around 4.5-5 miles form my local exchange around the houses.
Same with me ,built up area of Newcastle ,no virgin ,no infinity and as long as the sky is blue ,the winds in the right direction and there's a W in the weekday then i get a massive 3-4mg
Old 26-02-2012, 15:47   #37
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Same with me ,built up area of Newcastle ,no virgin ,no infinity and as long as the sky is blue ,the winds in the right direction and there's a W in the weekday then i get a massive 3-4mg
Yes i can see the problem mate and fully sympathise,although i think in our area BT have said infinity will arrive about easter 2013,hope it arrives in your area as well or VM start to do more cabling (unlikely)
Old 26-02-2012, 15:53   #38
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Not true my parents live in a built up residential area and are in similar circumstances to Richard speed wise hence why they choose VM.

Crazy, You would think those are the areas where Openreach should be putting fibre into first. No VM and very slow ADSL. Yet around my way it seems most people get around 8Mb+ on the ADSL lines, Virginmedia are here yet infinity cabinets are appearing everywhere.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 16:00   #39
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Yes i can see the problem mate and fully sympathise,although i think in our area BT have said infinity will arrive about easter 2013,hope it arrives in your area as well or VM start to do more cabling (unlikely)

Already been in touch with VM re cabling the last 2 streets on my estate and basically they said no chance ,BT have no plans to introduce fibre yet probably because the rest of the estate is virgin
Old 26-02-2012, 16:11   #40
richard1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Already been in touch with VM re cabling the last 2 streets on my estate and basically they said no chance ,BT have no plans to introduce fibre yet probably because the rest of the estate is virgin
Sounds like you have had it then,unless VM wake up and do the cabling which would enable you to join. If only the last 2 streets have not been cabled though cannot see BT providing infinity anytime soon, if the rest of the estate where you live has been cabled for VM..
Old 26-02-2012, 16:17   #41
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Crazy, You would think those are the areas where Openreach should be putting fibre into first. No VM and very slow ADSL. Yet around my way it seems most people get around 8Mb+ on the ADSL lines, Virginmedia are here yet infinity cabinets are appearing everywhere.
They are in my parents area this year.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 16:26   #42
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well my parents have Sky's broadband and their speed sometimes is no more then 1Mb at times.
Den,

I have VM XL Broadband at the moment (currently on 30 day notice) and I never get more than 3-7 meg between the hours of 17:00 and Midnight,and yes before you ask I have had 3 Engineer visits but it appears it is a case of over congestion limiting my speed,and then I have to listen to Richard Branson spouting how he is doubling my speed free of charge!!,if he does double my speed at these rates I will still be getting slower speeds than I am paying for at the moment!,that my friend is indefensible.So alas I am moving lock stock and barrel to Sky and BT.......but as Arnie once said, "I'll be back (maybe)"
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 23:00   #43
tridens

Services: Sky TV HD

I agree with this posting

I think VM's obsession with superfast broadband may also be their undoing. I think it would be safe to say that for the vast majority of people a reliable 10Mb or 30Mb service would suffice for most needs.

i agree most customers 70 -80% take the 10mg bb
Im not interested in 100 -200 300mg BB 10mg is plenty for me
Old 26-02-2012, 23:09   #44
SkyFTW
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+HD ,Sky Multiroom, Sky unlimited BB, Anytime+
SkyFTW can only hope to improve

I also think there really is no need for 50Mb/100Mb etc. I understand a few people need them for work but even then sending files over night only needs 10Mb maximum.

Some people make out they're basically sending 100's of Gbs a day then claiming to be on a none business connection. Unless you're stealing a couple of Blueray rips a day there is no need for more than a GOOD QUALITY 10-20Mb connection.

On my Sky connection we can stream a HD film on Sky Anytime+ while someone is playing xbox and another just basic browsing no problem. Our iTunes download times are fine but then we NEVER download illegal films/files etc.

My Mrs transfers a fair bit of data from our home connection and uses VPN, an we never struggle. A good solid 10Mb+ is enough right now for the AVERAGE user.
SkyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 00:09   #45
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

I'd rather an increase of upload rather than download speed.
30Mb is doing just fine for me at the moment, it gets me from A to B on this wonderful world wide web and when it comes to downloading, less than 2 minutes or so for a 1GB file on a good line is a win for me.
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote