Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub & Virgin Media Business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Old 17-10-2011, 22:43   #151
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Superhub & Virgin Media Business

Any further news on availability of the new services?
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2011, 22:59   #152
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

We have been processing orders so I think they have done a small soft launch to start with.
Old 17-10-2011, 23:38   #153
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Sounds promising.... Any indication of public launch yet?
Old 18-10-2011, 14:13   #154
mikeey2
Inactive

mikeey2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had Virgin out to site yesterday, as looking at site to site links and they have quoted on IPVPN solution, but the Quote contains the following;

thought it might be of interest..

Virgin Media Business have recently launched Cable Modem access into IPVPN, providing unparalleled cost effective connectivity where available. Running over the Virgin Media local infrastructure, it provides carrier diversity for ADSL services at comparable cost. We will provision a Cisco 1921 router to terminate the Cable Modem service which is capable of supporting the 50Mb Cable Modem service.

As Cable Modem has not completed full testing for voice and IP multimedia services currently, it is proposed to use Cable Modem for data and ADSL with Real time 1 QoS for voice services. It is expected in due course when tested and ratifies that the cable modem service would be re-configured for voice services. VMB will install a hybrid fibre coax cable to the premises, on the end of which we will install a cable modem. An L2TP tunnel is established between the cable modem and the broadband access router which marks edge of the IPVPN network. An Ethernet port on the cable modem is provided for connection of the customer premises router.

In a similar fashion to our IPVPN ADSL service, we will support traffic prioritisation at ‘edge’ and not in the shared broadband network. #Edge# means the customer premises router, for outbound traffic, and the broadband aggregation router in the network, for traffic in-bound to the site.

Cable Modem is subject to availability and full site survey.

Speed
30Mbps (3Mbps upstream) and 50Mbps (5Mbps up) will be available

SLA
Fix SLA 20 hours
Availabilty 99.80%
mikeey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 14:24   #155
ccarmock
cf.geek

Yes this is an instance of the new services they are about to launch...... So it does look close now.
Old 21-10-2011, 19:09   #156
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

I called to day to test the waters and was told the new Business modem service was released 2 weeks ago. They could not however take upgrade orders yet...as the computer would not let them! Said by the end of the month.

The guy had no technical details of the modem but did quote prices:

Speed 2yr 3yr contract
30/3 £34 28
50/5 39 33

Prices per month of course.

If any one has this I would be interested to know if it is working OK and more about the modem supplied. If it is a Superhub can it be set in modem mode. Also how does the fixed IPs work and are they extra in cost.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 00:18   #157
ccarmock
cf.geek

This looks to be the pricing for the service without inclusive call allowance, which is still offered, but will now include free calls to mobiles of up to 10 mins.

They do plan to offer the Superhub in Modem mode, but did say this might not be from launch. My guess is they were waiting for the R30 firmware stream to derive the business equivalent firmware.

The fixed IPs are extra cost - £5 for a single fixed address, £10 for 6 and £15 for 14 IP addresses. Costs are per month.

They are truely static addresses that will not change even if network resegmentation work takes place. They are provided via an L2TP tunnel from the Superhub to the VMB network. If you move locations you can take the IP addresses with you.
Good that it's finally live- but a bit weird they didn't cater for upgrades from the start!!! It's not like they haven't had time, since this is well over a year late now.
Old 31-10-2011, 14:53   #158
ccarmock
cf.geek

Well I see that finally the VM Business web page has been updated. It now mentions next generation networks etc. Talks a bit high speed broadband. But the classic thing is that ti makes NO mention of bandwidth options offfered. brilliant piece of marketing!
Old 31-10-2011, 14:59   #159
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I'm astounded at their fixed IP costs (if what's been published on here is correct) Currently I paid £10 for the setup of my 5 fixed IPs and there's no monthly charge. Now if they'd charged per address (I only tend to use two these days) then it would be a lot more cost effective than being charged for what I don't need.

So much for their understanding of small businesses
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 15:05   #160
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Re the fixed IP costs these seem to be similar to the competition I am afraid (just paid similar to BT for a backup line).

I just received a copy of the manual from the welcome pack. The modem is a Super Hub. There is no reference to "modem mode" in the manual, only reference to what happens in fixed IP mode (with multiple IPs) where the modem acts as a fixed router. That probably means its firewall is still active so there may be similar problems to the domestic service. Unfortunately the PDF version of the manual is not high enough quality to make out the full details of other settings from the screen dumps.

I was told they are still not in a position to upgrade existing users due to technical issues!
Old 01-11-2011, 15:33   #161
ccarmock
cf.geek

I gather they don't have the required order screens yet for upgrades, but when I called was told they are expecting that to be available any day now.
Old 02-11-2011, 00:32   #162
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I'm astounded at their fixed IP costs (if what's been published on here is correct) Currently I paid £10 for the setup of my 5 fixed IPs and there's no monthly charge. Now if they'd charged per address (I only tend to use two these days) then it would be a lot more cost effective than being charged for what I don't need.

So much for their understanding of small businesses
Ntl areas never used to charge monthly fees for fixed IPs and telewest areas did. So they have now got all areas the same. £5 per month for 1 and £10 a month for 5 I think.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:13   #163
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Ntl areas never used to charge monthly fees for fixed IPs and telewest areas did. So they have now got all areas the same. £5 per month for 1 and £10 a month for 5 I think.
Those were the costs I was quoted with an option to have 13 for £15. Compared with ex-Telewest areas before this is a price reduction as the cost before was £10 for one.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:20   #164
ccarmock
cf.geek

Well another week, another call to VM Business. Still can't place an upgrade order. Still can't tell me when. They predict it could be up to two months more.

I asked if they are accepting orders for new service - yes they tell me. Ok can I place an additional order and cancel the old. No they said as that would mean a new contract (Well the upgrade does anyway!) and also a cancellation charge as I am still in contract on the old service. Madness - a case of the computer says no!

Not sure if Stephen is about - is it really likely to be 2 months more before I can place an upgrade order?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:34   #165
APS
Inactive

Just told it should be ready within 2 weeks - "the new screens are being trialled".