Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Party line?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Party line?

Old 11-03-2012, 02:08   #1
neilo
cf.addict

Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
neilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to all
Party line?

When someone dials our home phone number, not only does our phone ring but next door's does as well! How do I know? Because we've had some good three way chats... Me, him and normally a confused caller.

So he said he'd call Sky - his phone company - and sort it out. But its still happening and now I have a couple of phone calls on my bill which I know aren't mine as they were made when I'm at work and I have a First Telecom dialler installed so I dont ever get any calls billed by VM.

Anyone had this before? I'm gonna call VM but I just know it's going to be tough. I'm offering the following odds:

15-1 resolved by first person I speak to
12-1 resolved by second or third person I speak to
6-4F passed from pillar to post, not resolved, calm state of mind will turn to anger

I'm putting a pound on the 15-1 outsider on the hope that this time I call, it'll be alright.
neilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2012, 09:07   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Party line?

It will be double jumpers at the cabinet
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 14:55   #3
neilo
cf.addict

neilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to all

I was told my phone line wasn't long enough on install but that it was 'sorted'.
Old 11-03-2012, 22:39   #4
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
When someone dials our home phone number, not only does our phone ring but next door's does as well! How do I know? Because we've had some good three way chats... Me, him and normally a confused caller.

So he said he'd call Sky - his phone company - and sort it out. But its still happening and now I have a couple of phone calls on my bill which I know aren't mine as they were made when I'm at work and I have a First Telecom dialler installed so I dont ever get any calls billed by VM.

Anyone had this before? I'm gonna call VM but I just know it's going to be tough. I'm offering the following odds:

15-1 resolved by first person I speak to
12-1 resolved by second or third person I speak to
6-4F passed from pillar to post, not resolved, calm state of mind will turn to anger

I'm putting a pound on the 15-1 outsider on the hope that this time I call, it'll be alright.
If your neighbour has Sky as their phone company, then it's got nothing to do with Virgin Media as to the "unknown" numbers on your bill. They are on 2 separate networks as Sky use BT lines.

Have you both got similar cordless phones?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 21:29   #5
neilo
cf.addict

It's a no to the similar phones I'm afraid DF but good thought though!

Anyway took the plunge and phoned. Call went ok any someone coming out on Sat (let's see how that goes) and for the inconvenience and phone calls on the bill I got £7 comp. It should just about cover the cost of two minute long VM local calls

But good response so far. V pleased this time.
Old 13-03-2012, 21:35   #6
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
It's a no to the similar phones I'm afraid DF but good thought though!

Anyway took the plunge and phoned. Call went ok any someone coming out on Sat (let's see how that goes) and for the inconvenience and phone calls on the bill I got £7 comp. It should just about cover the cost of two minute long VM local calls

But good response so far. V pleased this time.
Let us know what happens.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:07   #7
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

how did you get on? Did the tech find anything, neilo?
Old 26-03-2012, 21:51   #8
judgey
Inactive

judgey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
It will be double jumpers at the cabinet
Agreed
judgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 18:08   #9
gondalio
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB
gondalio is an unknown quantity at this point

can't be double jumpers at cabinet if one is on sky and one is on VM. its an absolute stunner of a problem lol as I have never come across crossed line across 2 different companies ... if you were both on VM then that is definately possible crossed line but in this case i doubt the tech will b able to anything but scratch his head and drink a cuppa lol
gondalio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 19:09   #10
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

Virgin use BT lines in areas not covered by cable. The op could be in one of these areas.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 21:15   #11
gondalio
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB
gondalio is an unknown quantity at this point

good point :p wasn't mentioned in OP's post so just assumed :p
gondalio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 11:12   #12
neilo
cf.addict

So the update is that neighbour phoned Sky as well. I had a VM engineer appt booked but just before it I got an email from VM saying the problem had been resolved and there was now no need for an engineer to visit me. Email never said how it was fixed and I've not asked.

No recurrence yet! And yes, I am in a cable area.