Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Updated] Thomas Mair found guilty of the murder of MP Jo Cox

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Updated] Thomas Mair found guilty of the murder of MP Jo Cox

Old 20-06-2016, 11:56   #46
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Jo Cox MP has been murdered in West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I noticed the 77 year old got a quick mention in the news I almost missed it so where it the media coverage on this person absolute joke in my opinion.
Well for starters it takes longer to get the details on a member of the public. He did, however, get quite a nice piece in the Tele over the weekend. Turns out he's a bit of a local hero already, as a retired mine rescue worker.

Having said that, if you can't see that the premeditated murder of a member of our legislature, killed for what she believed and worked for, is fundamentally an assault on our system of democracy, then I worry for you.

There are places in the world where this sort of thing is far from uncommon. I trust you wouldn't want the UK to join them in the gutter - in which case, joining with the rest of the adult population in treating this case with due seriousness would be a good idea.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-06-2016, 15:27   #47
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Know many people that have been shot three times and then stabbed in the street by mad man.
Who I know has precisely nothing to do with the issue but what I do know is that people are being murdered every week, all too often by 'mad men/women' who can't get the required medical help and HMG has done sweet FA about it for years. Maybe you missed the bit where I pointed out it's a terrible tragedy but my point remains and I didn't say it wasn't a terrible loss I said it's no bigger a loss than anyone else who's suffered a similar fate. Some of what we're seeing now is an absurd and increasingly opportunist overreaction on the part of those who're supposed to be running the show. Since you seem to be fixated with Lee Rigby today, yes that was a tragedy too but tell me how many serving soldiers who've died appalling deaths at the hands of assorted global maniacs have ever got that sort of coverage? Didn't they deserve it? The coverage and aftermath of that appalling incident had far less to do with Rigby or concern for his family than it had to do with the nature of the event committed as it was in full view of the public.

Oddly enough I have a good deal more in common with the family than you might think and know all about the terrible loss losing a wife and mother of young children involves. In the real world most people who suffer such a fate just have to get on with it and get precious little help or recognition in the process. That's exactly what I had to do.

Last edited by Osem; 20-06-2016 at 15:45.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 17:24   #48
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
That's exactly what I had to do.
You have my respect.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 21:20   #49
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Who I know has precisely nothing to do with the issue but what I do know is that people are being murdered every week
And unfortunately most times it's not national newsworth, but this is, and if you can't see or understand the reason why then you need to think a bit harder.

Quote:
and I didn't say it wasn't a terrible loss I said it's no bigger a loss than anyone else who's suffered a similar fate. Some of what we're seeing now is an absurd and increasingly opportunist overreaction
Similar fate? I say again, I bet there aren't many innocent people in the UK just going about their business that are gunned down by a total stranger in the street and then just for good measure stabbed several times.

Quote:
Since you seem to be fixated with Lee Rigby today, yes that was a tragedy too but tell me how many serving soldiers who've died appalling deaths at the hands of assorted global maniacs have ever got that sort of coverage? Didn't they deserve it?
Most soldiers die in battle in foreign lands not hacked to death on UK streets, any soldier killed in action is one too many but unfortunately the risk is inherent to the role.

Quote:
The coverage and aftermath of that appalling incident had far less to do with Rigby or concern for his family than it had to do with the nature of the event committed as it was in full view of the public.
Erm......you mean like Jo Cox was????

The parallels between Lee Rigby and Jo Cox are blindingly obvious, and I think I can say for certain that no posts on this site once suggested that the coverage Rigby's murder received was being blown out of proportion.

Quote:
Oddly enough I have a good deal more in common with the family than you might think and know all about the terrible loss losing a wife and mother of young children involves. In the real world most people who suffer such a fate just have to get on with it and get precious little help or recognition in the process. That's exactly what I had to do.
all people lose people I lost my father at a young age, it's not grief top trumps, yes we all get on with it, but I would scorn another's situation out of prejudice of anything that happened to me.
Old 20-06-2016, 21:50   #50
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
And unfortunately most times it's not national newsworth, but this is, and if you can't see or understand the reason why then you need to think a bit harder.

Similar fate? I say again, I bet there aren't many innocent people in the UK just going about their business that are gunned down by a total stranger in the street and then just for good measure stabbed several times.

Most soldiers die in battle in foreign lands not hacked to death on UK streets, any soldier killed in action is one too many but unfortunately the risk is inherent to the role.

The parallels between Lee Rigby and Jo Cox are blindingly obvious, and I think I can say for certain that no posts on this site once suggested that the coverage Rigby's murder received was being blown out of proportion.

all people lose people I lost my father at a young age, it's not grief top trumps, yes we all get on with it, but I would scorn another's situation out of prejudice of anything that happened to me.
That's why I qualified my statement by using the term 'a similar fate' something you seem unable to understand. By definition I'm not referring to people who've NOT suffered a similar fat, stabbed, shot, raped, butchered and worse. There are plenty of people who've suffered terrible trauma and lost loved ones and we hear nothing about it. At no point have I minimised what happened to Jo Fox, merely put it into perspective. Odd how you reckon I'm playing top trumps when I explain the reason for my point of view then go onto your own version of the game. Nice. Unlike you I've been in the same situation as Mr Fox, with kids aged 3 and 5. You haven't so what do you know about how it feels? Precisely nothing.

Last edited by Osem; 20-06-2016 at 21:57.
Old 20-06-2016, 22:05   #51
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

I also lost my father at a young age but that also has nothing to do with this murder. If he can't see what is happening here then I'd give up arguing. Some people have an axe to grind and nothing will come in the way ..
Old 20-06-2016, 22:06   #52
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I find it ironic that so many on the internet and in the media are drawing a straight line between brexit rhetoric and this horrible murder when this kind of thing is going on and they seem all right with it

Quote:
analysis has revealed hundreds of historical and contemporary messages sent via social media platforms urging violence against UK Independence Party (UKIP) leader Nigel Farage.

Over the course of just a few hours, Breitbart London uncovered hundreds of tweets and Facebook updates dating back as far as 2010, with some as recent as last Thursday afternoon after Member of Parliament Jo Cox was murdered.

The revelations go some way to shattering the narrative that “hateful” or “aggressive” rhetoric emanates from only one side of UK politics. Most of the messages listed below are from younger people, and Breitbart found that most were either Liberal Democrat, Scottish National Party, or Labour Party supporters. Most of them also expressed pro-European Union sentiment and were overwhelmingly supportive of the ‘Remain’ campaign at the European Union referendum.

Basic level searches under the search terms “shoot Nigel Farage”, “stab Nigel Farage” or “kill Nigel Farage” reveal hundreds of messages, some of those in fact with further messages of support for the notions in the replies.
Old 20-06-2016, 22:16   #53
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
That's why I qualified my statement by using the term 'a similar fate' something you seem unable to understand. By definition I'm not referring to people who've NOT suffered a similar fat, stabbed, shot, raped, butchered and worse. There are plenty of people who've suffered terrible trauma and lost loved ones and we hear nothing about it.
The fact this woman was an MP and seems, at the moment, to have been killed because she was an MP and because of her politics is what has elevated this to a national issue.

Lee Rigby was murdered in a terrorist attack on British soil by a civilian. He wasn't killed in action, by an opposing army, abroad. That's why his death became a story.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 09:34   #54
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The fact this woman was an MP and seems, at the moment, to have been killed because she was an MP and because of her politics is what has elevated this to a national issue.

Lee Rigby was murdered in a terrorist attack on British soil by a civilian. He wasn't killed in action, by an opposing army, abroad. That's why his death became a story.
I know why the murder is a story and a national issue and the media's done an exceptional job of keeping it in the news. My argument is that parliament's response is now OTT and being used by some as a means by which to influence the EU debate. If MP's want to continue to grieve and mourn in their own time that's fine by me. If they want to erect a statue that's fine by me but there's important work to be done and they ought to be getting on with it and serving those who've elected them at this time more than just about any other I can think of. Does anyone really think Jo Cox would want this hiatus? I don't.

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I find it ironic that so many on the internet and in the media are drawing a straight line between brexit rhetoric and this horrible murder when this kind of thing is going on and they seem all right with it
Well yes it is rather hypocritical isn't it. I recall plenty of glee and laughter when Farage and his family were confronted by a mob during a Sunday lunch at the local pub. Who would have known the true intentions of that group until after the event? It certainly would have been traumatic for his family even if Farage is tough enough to take it in his stride.

It seems quite a lot of people don't mind inciting or employing a bit of hate and violence when the targets of it happen to disagree with them.

Last edited by Osem; 21-06-2016 at 09:20.
Old 21-06-2016, 10:26   #55
RizzyKing

This murder has now been hijacked by a group and they are using it for all their worth and as horrible as this was for the family it should not be a factor in the referendum and the way it's being used to further one side in the referendum is despicable.

But we now know how low some will go to get what they want and that's something I won't forget anytime soon.
Old 21-06-2016, 10:51   #56
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
This murder has now been hijacked by a group and they are using it for all their worth and as horrible as this was for the family it should not be a factor in the referendum and the way it's being used to further one side in the referendum is despicable.

But we now know how low some will go to get what they want and that's something I won't forget anytime soon.
Well I hope it backfires on them. ****.
Old 21-06-2016, 10:56   #57
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post

Looks like her death was very convenient for some.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 18:17   #58
RBMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
Looks like her death was very convenient for some.
Her death was convenient for NONE, she was murdered by a mentally ill man. Nothing to do with the EU referendum.

Anyone who says different is full of hate! An wants to encourage us to be divisive, we stand together condemning this horrific murder.

Last edited by RBMark; 21-06-2016 at 18:21.
Old 14-11-2016, 17:43   #59
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The trial has started: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37978582
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 18:10   #60
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

how is the jury made up in this type of trial [its being branded political/[ideological ] so is the jury picked from those with varying political views is it all left wing or all right wing.. hows it done?