Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 28-12-2016, 12:31   #3556
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I've taken to insulting remoaners because of the torrents of abuse that I started receiving from them right after the outcome of the vote. If they can't handle it, they shouldn't dish it out in the first place

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Well, since you voted remain, it's a given that you're easily confused.
And they haven't on here - but you still insist on doing it here.

I have been on a number of sites where the "alt-right*" members are very insulting to those who do not agree with them, but I do not treat members here badly (well, I try not to) just because they did.

(*aka fascum, a diminutive of fascist ****)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2016, 12:46   #3557
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And they haven't on here - but you still insist on doing it here.

(*aka fascum, a diminutive of fascist ****)
That's not entirely accurate Hugh, that certain sore loser award recipient, you spoke of, routinely suggests the Brexiteers as uneducated on here, this can only be construed as a insulting term by a remoaner.
Old 28-12-2016, 13:09   #3558
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Everything fails in the end Mick, even us. The EU isn't perfect, however if we think we're better off outside the biggest single market in the World, then we're living in cloud Cuckoo land.
The EU is suffocating us all with its over regulation and bureaucracy. We reached the point a while ago where we were better out than in.

The EU may be a big market, but the rest of the world is bigger and freer in market terms. We would be foolish not to embrace it. The 'common market' is only worthwhile to Britain if it can be accessed without tariffs and without restricting our freedoms as a country (eg to trade with whomever we please, to allow in only those we believe can contribute positively to our country without impacting negatively on our ability to support them, to throw out criminal elements from abroad who threaten our citizens, etc).

Theresa May is attempting to achieve the right balance for this country which includes a tariff free common market, which would give us the best of both worlds, and those who are attempting to obstruct her should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 28-12-2016, 13:38   #3559
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
That's not entirely accurate Hugh, that certain sore loser award recipient, you spoke of, routinely suggests the Brexiteers as uneducated on here, this can only be construed as a insulting term by a remoaner.
Ok I'll bite Mick.

All I can find I have done is link to Torygraph article (that noted anti-Brexit rag) saying that those who voted remain, tended to have higher educational qualifications. That doesn't make their vote any more valid. It was just a statement of fact, not an insult.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ucated-old-an/

Certainly in no way does it equate to the regular abuse/barbs thrown at anyone on this forum that has a differing viewpoint to Brexit.

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Theresa May is attempting to achieve the right balance for this country which includes a tariff free common market, which would give us the best of both worlds, and those who are attempting to obstruct her should be ashamed of themselves.
Hope you're right Old Boy and St. Theresa is playing a very clever game where even she doesn't know that tactics...

Theresa May lacks courage to admit complexity of Brexit, say civil servants

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...y_to_clipboard
We've made so many cuts to our own governments infrastructure that it looks as though we'll find it difficult to deal with Brexit and take on all the extra tasks.

Last edited by Mr K; 28-12-2016 at 14:25.
Old 28-12-2016, 14:28   #3560
RizzyKing

There has been plenty of abuse thrown around since the referendum on both sides i know i've had plenty of it but not so much on here it's more suggestion and insinuation then outright and it's rare. I have tried to be polite in the debate wherever I've become involved in the debate but have slipped a few times, there is not a single thing added to this debate by insulting each other and we all need to raise the bar a bit.

Amongst most of my european friends where there was once a large majority with the view the EU was a positive thing and worth retaining it's now about 50\50 with the german contingent changing their view more then others. The UK had to deal with this issue the organisation we joined in the 1970's was worlds away from what we ended up with and the public needed a voice. Euro scepticism is on the rise in most EU member states and I don't see that stopping anytime soon the UK is far from unique in it's views on the EU.

Old 28-12-2016, 21:02   #3561
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Love the complaint about someone using an insulting term by using a term intended as an insult
Old 28-12-2016, 21:59   #3562
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Love the complaint about someone using an insulting term by using a term intended as an insult
That isn't a complaint, also, a remoaner is not actually a derogatory term, it is a summary term which best describes a person who has serious issues with Brexit. I did actually cover this a while back.
Old 28-12-2016, 22:04   #3563
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Yes, contradictions about insults, have come a few times in this thread e.g.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...postcount=3539

They are only insults if they are in the wrong direction...
Old 28-12-2016, 22:08   #3564
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
That isn't a complaint, also, a remoaner is not actually a derogatory term, it is a summary term which best describes a person who has serious issues with Brexit. I did actually cover this a while back.
I haven't heard remoaner used in a positive sense. It's meant as a derogatory term by others.
Old 28-12-2016, 22:12   #3565
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

With the UK out of the damned EU the rest of the world will be bigger economically and the EU represent a correspondingly smaller proportion. Without substantial reform, I know which I'd rather be part of.

As for terminology, I can think of far worse insults than 'remoaner', including a good number of unpleasant adjectives routinely levelled at the likes of Nigel Farage by some of the very same people who're now complaining about name calling. That's OK though because someone who believes in the independence of the the UK is fair game for any amount of abuse eh?...

It's a well known tactic of the left to employ the most appalling abuse, intimidation and worse in pursuit of their goals whilst at the same time playing victim whenever it suits. A good deal of that is going on right now in the context of the Brexit debate.

Last edited by Osem; 28-12-2016 at 22:16.
Old 28-12-2016, 22:34   #3566
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
As for terminology, I can think of far worse insults than 'remoaner', including a good number of unpleasant adjectives routinely levelled at the likes of Nigel Farage by some of the very same people who're now complaining about name calling. That's OK though because someone who believes in the independence of the the UK is fair game for any amount of abuse eh?...
No it's not OK. It doesn't make personal abuse ok. What it doesn't do is justify turning that abuse against others. People are responsible for their own actions.

I think one problem is that the obvious one in that the internet dehumanises people so it's easy to talk at people in a way you would never do in person because basic empathy kicks in. The other problem is that once you put people into a 'group' then it makes that problem worse since you're not even referring to a specific person then. It allows you to concoct a caricature of the person you're arguing against in your mind and make you angry.

The 'left' is a pretty wide group of people for example, it's not one monolithic group. There is a bigger difference between people on the left than there probable is between most people in the country. The left shouldn't be defined by it's fringes anymore than the right should, less those on the right who do so are then in turn happy to be associated with the likes of Thomas Mair.

I doubt the country is as divided as it seems it's just the louder voices have hijacked the debate. Most Brexit voters probably voted with some concerns and most Remain voters probably voted with some reservations but we talk as if they're two diametrically opposed groups.

We can't stop other people doing it but we can stop ourselves doing it.

Last edited by Damien; 28-12-2016 at 22:52.
Old 28-12-2016, 22:51   #3567
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
We thought that explanation was a load of bollocks back then too

Old 29-12-2016, 00:16   #3568
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
It's a well known tactic of the left to employ the most appalling abuse, intimidation and worse in pursuit of their goals whilst at the same time playing victim whenever it suits.
Spot on.
Old 29-12-2016, 00:51   #3569
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
With the UK out of the damned EU the rest of the world will be bigger economically and the EU represent a correspondingly smaller proportion. Without substantial reform, I know which I'd rather be part of.

It's a well known tactic of the left to employ the most appalling abuse, intimidation and worse in pursuit of their goals whilst at the same time playing victim whenever it suits. A good deal of that is going on right now in the context of the Brexit debate.
Ok, don't be a coward. Who are these people on this forum who "employ the most appalling abuse, intimidation and worse in pursuit of their goals whilst at the same time playing victim whenever it suits"?

Come on name names and show us evidence of your claims?

If you can't, take the chip off your shoulder and debate the points raised like an adult ..
Old 29-12-2016, 00:52   #3570
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I haven't heard remoaner used in a positive sense. It's meant as a derogatory term by others.
So in using the term to describe yourself as you do under your forum name, you are actually making a statement about it as a derogatory term with negative connoitations?

You fooled me, I thought you were using it with admirable abandon to identify yourself as a proud 'member' of the Remain group. In fact, you may have encouraged its use on the forum being a mod and all that.
Closed Thread