Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you fixed lately?

Old 03-12-2014, 20:15   #256
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

One of Osem Jnr's Clarks shoes - the entire heel had become detached from the upper but a quick clean and some spray on contact adhesive did the trick.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2014, 03:46   #257
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I last fixed one of my cassettes (The pad that keeps the tape against the head for good sound)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:54   #258
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

The plastic nut on the toilet seat broke, found one that fitted and rubber washer, job done! Shortened a pair of curtains. Painted a bedroom. Hung a curtain rail. Erected a new rotary clothes pole. I've still got a long list of 'to do's' as Mr T is no good at DIY.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 15:07   #259
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Bit premature as I've not actually fixed it yet but I've found the cause of my engine management going into disgusting mode every few weeks.

Turns out that the knock sensor has packed up and sends a false reading rather than throwing a fault code which would have made life a lot easier. Oh well another 100 quid to throw into the bottomless pit.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:35   #260
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Managed to pair / sync some smartlink bulbs to the Philips Hue bridge (with a couple of blooms). So now I can control the lights via iPad / phone etc.
Old 05-01-2015, 17:00   #261
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Managed to pair / sync some smartlink bulbs to the Philips Hue bridge (with a couple of blooms). So now I can control the lights via iPad / phone etc.
Some of you folks are just way too clever for me lol!
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 20:40   #262
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I got my old Galaxy S2 back off my dad as he got a new phone.

I reformatted it - put a new battery in it and I must admit it's bot bad at all. It's going to make a really good spare handset I think.

I may even see if I can put kit kat or lollypop on it tomorrow.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 21:49   #263
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

More Behringer junk

This time an amp simulator (Line 6 Pod clone)

Dry joints galore on the 1/4 jack input and line out connections. Problems compounded by the fact that there is no strain relief on the surface mounted sockets. Stoopid design and poor workmanship - buy cheap, buy twice or at least expect to be fixing it after a few months.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 22:39   #264
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

My Sister and Brother in Law's kitchen socket.

Basically, the socket plate was loose, so my brother in law tried to nip up the screw, only for it to shear off.

Taking the socket plate off, it seems whoever had done the job last had used the longest possible screw to hold the socket plate to the cavity back box behind it, and the screw sheared because it basically "bottomed out" against the back of the box. Cue the two of us trying to remove the reminants of the old screw.

Of course it won't budge...

In desperation, I checked my car to see if I had anything that would shift it, and luckily I'd brought the one indispensable tool for this kind of job, my 6" Irwin Vise Grip "wire" (actually just about everything) cutters. Had the darned thing out in 5 mins with those!
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 09:06   #265
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I last fixed a tape I got from salvation army

It didnt play well and when i opened the case to examine why,it was quite obvious!!!

THERE WERE NO ROLLERS IN IT!!!!!! -- I dont think I have ever seen something so stupid....... So I just transferred the spools to another tape case and she plays ok...

KOOL AND THE GANG - Something special
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 14:46   #266
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Fan switch in the cooker hood: Went to turn on the light over the hob this morning and the fan rocker next to it popped right out. On closer inspection the two pegs that it pivots on had both broken away from the actual rocker itself. One was still there in the housing but the other had vanished.

Dismantled the hood and got the switch out, then with some thin plastic backing it up I superglued the remaining pivot back into place. Then I found a small piece of plastic in the junk with a stub on it. (Actually the surface mount carrier for a dual pin strip) Glued that into place on the otherside. Some work with a needle file set and voila: Good as new.

Put the switch gubbins, spring and contact, back in and snapped the rocker into the housing. Works a treat.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:54   #267
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Just installed a 5 metre 12V LED strip light down the edge of the stairs with an IPR sensor. Now no need to turn on the main lights when going up or down... Brill.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 16:36   #268
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Having let the garage change my car's back box this week (in my defence the difference between doing it myself and getting them to do it was £15), my DIY fixit mojo was waning, untill I finally got around to working out why my driver's side washer jet wasn't working.

It had been knackered for quite a while. It sort of worked, but lacked any pressure. The passenger side one was working fine. In the end I decided to try swapping the feed pipes over, to see if it was a duff T-piece/anti drain valve or a duff jet.

Of course, having done this the passenger side jet was still fine, while the driver's was even worse.

In the end I traced the problem to the little 90 degree connector at the base of the driver's side jet. It had split, but in such a way that it still looked and fitted on fine. I stretched the feed pipe a tad and it fitted, so hopefully that should sort it long-term
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 11:20   #269
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Leaky old washing machine. Got the new door rubber earlier this week for £7. Fitted it this morning amid much cursing especially when I found I'd put it on 180 degrees out and had to do the whole thing again. AAAGH!!

Yet to test it but there's a big pile of smalls to do.
Old 21-02-2015, 18:14   #270
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Leaky old washing machine. Got the new door rubber earlier this week for £7. Fitted it this morning amid much cursing especially when I found I'd put it on 180 degrees out and had to do the whole thing again. AAAGH!!

Yet to test it but there's a big pile of smalls to do.
Where's the video then???

I 'fixed' all 4 of our Velux window pleated blinds this morning by ripping them out and replacing them with Ikea cellular blinds which seem very good indeed. Some trimming of the top/bottom metal rails and blind fabric was required but when you know how...

I also fixed the hose on our Dyson DC25 vacuum cleaner which had split quite badly near the handle. Disassembling the hose was the hardest part then I had to trim a section of the coiled wire and clear PVC type hose material before feeding a new section into the fitting and putting it back together. Job done.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote