Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 25-04-2014, 10:38   #166
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Fixed some shoddy wiring to a socket spur installed by a previous occupant of my house.

Nearly 10 years and I'm still stumbling across little bits of bodgery here and there.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2014, 12:44   #167
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Couldn't get the bathroom scales to operate with the original switches so I just fitted a simple miniature push switch through the base and wired it in. Made up a couple of spring loaded feet (Large headed screw, spring, washer and nylock nut) to hold the base up off the switch until you step on it. Basically the same idea as originally but more reliable.

Works a treat.

The battery compartment is still rubbish but I can't really do anything about it.
Ingenuity at its best!

I used something similar to a broken release button on some telescopic garden loppers a couple of years ago. Still working...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 14:55   #168
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
I sure will over the weekend, just had a prep coat of Wudtone and drying in the workshop (my big shed where the wine lives )
About 10 more coats to go! been having some small problems with a bit of oil that must have been in the wood.

IMAG0463_1.jpg
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 21:17   #169
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Front brake pads on the wifes Renaultsport Megane series2, the uprated Brembo 4 pot calipers are notorious for seized pad pins, and low and behold 3 out of the 4 were solid, Renault's answer was to buy new calipers costing silly money, but an angle grinder, extra long pin punches, a large hammer and a lot of tenacity saw the stubborn buggers come out.

Cleaned and rebuilt with decent pads and the brakes have never been so keen, almost to the detriment of a car behind her today coming home from work .
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 21:20   #170
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Front brake pads on the wifes Renaultsport Megane series2, the uprated Brembo 4 pot calipers are notorious for seized pad pins, and low and behold 3 out of the 4 were solid, Renault's answer was to buy new calipers costing silly money, but an angle grinder, extra long pin punches, a large hammer and a lot of tenacity saw the stubborn buggers come out.

Cleaned and rebuilt with decent pads and the brakes have never been so keen, almost to the detriment of a car behind her today coming home from work .
I love fixes like that!
Old 07-05-2014, 16:02   #171
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

The front wheel bearings on an R6.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 16:33   #172
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Some bugs in the new version of an online booking system I designed for work.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 23:11   #173
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Caliper had seized on the front of my car. so I fixed it.

I'm good with my hands, ladies.

and gentlemen.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 12:54   #174
henly
Inactive

henly is an unknown quantity at this point

Replaced the cracked screen on my iPhone 4s using a kit from ebay costing £5, took 2 hours though!
henly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 14:07   #175
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

An HP Touchpad, installed latest 3rd party release of Android KitKat on it, works like a charm now
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 23:22   #176
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Caliper had seized on the front of my car. so I fixed it.

I'm good with my hands, ladies.

and gentlemen.
My rear ones are partially seized but the nuts are seized too so i cant get the buggers off.....
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 23:29   #177
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
The front wheel bearings on an R6.
Nice one hubby's pal has one, hubby has a kawasaki ninja and lately it seems is always needing fixed money pitt IMO he should get himself a nice reliable car. He say's no chance the bike or van for him.
Old 17-05-2014, 16:24   #178
Osem
Inactive

Our new porch. The stuff was delivered but the French doors supplied were handed incorrectly i.e. they were rebated to open inwards not outwards as specified.

Anyway since it wasn't such a big deal and to avoid further delays I decided to modify the frame and layout to suit the inwards opening doors. This involved using some of the many useful tools I've acquired over the years which have been waiting for their time to come. Most satisfying of all was cutting a new groove in the hardwood sill to accommodate the weather seal in its new position. First time I've used my router and it was a pleasure - superbly accurate result which fits perfectly.

I'm due some Brownie points from the missus anyway...
Old 18-05-2014, 07:17   #179
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Hope to fix/replace the fill valve on the loo later.

Seems to have sorted itself out? Turned the water off all night & now seems to behaving normally.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 20:30   #180
MJPS
Inactive

Services: VM 30Meg
MJPS is an unknown quantity at this point

1. I have moved some of my network boxes for Network storage and a relocated computer.
  2. Fixed a leaky tap
  3. Unbocked my kitchen sink
  4. Stripping the paint off of my stairs to reveal the naked wood
  5. Built a router out of an old computer and network card.
  6. Soldered and glued the headphone socket on an mp3 player
MJPS is offline   Reply With Quote