Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are Virgin aggressively throttling file sharing traffic again?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Are Virgin aggressively throttling file sharing traffic again?

Old 03-08-2017, 22:38   #16
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough
Re: Are Virgin aggressively throttling file sharing traffic again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's not new, it's been around since before the Gaming tier and as they're at the network level, then all broadband services are subject to the P2P and Newsgroup policy.
I get the usenet and p2p restrictions but what I mean is the upload still STM free on the gamer tier?
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2017, 23:20   #17
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes
Old 04-08-2017, 11:00   #18
Jake000
Inactive

Jake000 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been having the same problem. Full speed on everything except for Usenet. I'm with SuperNews. Been very slow during the day or 2am when I get home from work.

I phoned up on Tuesday to complain and they said I mended an engineer out. Last night, Usenet was working at full speed. Before the engineer came this morning, it was working at full speed. An hour after he left and guess what... It's back to being slow!
Just spoke to someone at VM again and he said there's nothing wrong with the line and as I'm on the gamer package, there's no traffic management.
Not quite sure what to make of this but thought I'd share.
Jake000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:27   #19
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake000 View Post
I've been having the same problem. Full speed on everything except for Usenet. I'm with SuperNews. Been very slow during the day or 2am when I get home from work.

I phoned up on Tuesday to complain and they said I mended an engineer out. Last night, Usenet was working at full speed. Before the engineer came this morning, it was working at full speed. An hour after he left and guess what... It's back to being slow!
Just spoke to someone at VM again and he said there's nothing wrong with the line and as I'm on the gamer package, there's no traffic management.
Not quite sure what to make of this but thought I'd share.
Again as I said, it seems to be an issue with any providers using the Giganews backbone... so possibly a peering issue.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 14:29   #20
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

They're playing around with priority on NNTP again during mornings and afternoons. IIRC they were doing it during the Easter hols. Just done a test here with/without VPN and it's quite obvious what's going on.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 21:55   #21
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

I always seem to get near max on torrents however don't really use them during peak hours as I don't get home till midnight during the week and don't download over a weekend, I was always aware of the shaping but have not heard anything in years regarding the shaping.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:24   #22
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Actually looking a bit further into this it look like a routing problem.

VM, iirc normally use Giganews dedicated open peer at the LINX which is actually advertised as best route. They are currently using some dodgy link over IX Reach to Amsterdam and it looks like there's a fair old bit of packet loss on there.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote