Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrading

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upgrading

Old 25-11-2017, 19:19   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Upgrading

Yeah, a tech told me that all they do is shub3's now and it is the easy option for them as far as guaranteeing speed goes. You can get away with keeping your current tivo box. They send you a shub and tivo in a box for you to hook up yourself and you ring an automated number when you are done to get them registered. I didnt connect my new tivo either and had no probs getting the shub up and running.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2017, 11:12   #17
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

200 I believe you can keep your SH2, but for 300 you need the SH3.

Weirdly I'm having speed issues after upgrading, on 200 i could max it out 24/7 at 220, however since upgrading to 300, i'm having issues hitting that majority of the time.

The area is fine for 200 as I had no issues before upgrading, so how come now i'm on 300 i'm not able to even hit the same speeds?...

Last edited by Synthetic; 26-11-2017 at 11:21.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 14:19   #18
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Perhaps the same reason I cannot.
My (home) router is not powerful enough to run much above 240/250.
So even though I'm now on 350, I cannot actually achieve that (unless I plug directly into the modem).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 18:01   #19
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Perhaps the same reason I cannot.
My (home) router is not powerful enough to run much above 240/250.
So even though I'm now on 350, I cannot actually achieve that (unless I plug directly into the modem).
Shouldn't be, I've got a unifi security gateway which can route internal traffic at 1gig (network max), WAN port etc are all Gigabit too.

I'll keep an eye on it and if it doesn't pick up I'll speak to virgin
Old 26-11-2017, 21:37   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

funnily enough just because you have got gigabit ports doesn't mean you can get gigabit speeds. I can remember years ago there was a Linksys router which sounded great on paper for the price. I can't remember which model it was but it had gigabit ports but the killer is that it could only do 90mbits wan to lan throughput. It caught loads of people out because this was when people were upgrading to the 100mbit and 120mbits new formed upper tiers. I used to be in the same position as Paul M and had no probs getting max speed when I was on 200mbits but I bought a new router earlier this year knowing that I would be going up to 300+. My new one (Asus AC68u) is good for something like 980mbits.
Old 27-11-2017, 07:39   #21
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Because of this thread I decided to reboot my Shub3, just in case.

Good news!

It seems that 350Mb is going beyond mere trials. I had noted the other day, that for the first time ever, that I was getting TBB tests close to 300Mb. Previously I was getting less than 200Mb, with a big difference between the single and multi-thread result. It seems that the local network has been upgraded too.

The increased rigour on ISPs providing advertised speeds during peak periods may have something to do with this too. It's been in the news only this week.

Last edited by roughbeast; 27-11-2017 at 08:02.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 09:07   #22
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
The increased rigour on ISPs providing advertised speeds during peak periods may have something to do with this too. It's been in the news only this week.
ya, if you have a look at your config you will see you have been provisioned for 400 mbits.
Old 27-11-2017, 11:33   #23
Synthetic
cf.geek

Well I feel like an idiot.

Updated my NIC drivers and now getting 380ish consistently - doesn't explain why i was sometimes maxing out, and sometimes not... far as i know there's no contention issues in my area.

Ah well, not gonna complain if it's working
Old 27-11-2017, 12:50   #24
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Shouldn't be, I've got a unifi security gateway which can route internal traffic at 1gig (network max), WAN port etc are all Gigabit too.

I'll keep an eye on it and if it doesn't pick up I'll speak to virgin
The USG is an excellent device, but the speed of the NICs being gigabit is not the relevant part.

Nat traffic, especially QoS has an overhead.

If you are using the USG-3P, it will max out at about 150mbit with QoS on due to the CPU overhead.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-...e/td-p/1574906

Obviously internal traffic has no NAT or QoS applied and will hit 1G easily.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 12:57   #25
Synthetic
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
The USG is an excellent device, but the speed of the NICs being gigabit is not the relevant part.

Nat traffic, especially QoS has an overhead.

If you are using the USG-3P, it will max out at about 150mbit with QoS on due to the CPU overhead.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-...e/td-p/1574906

Obviously internal traffic has no NAT or QoS applied and will hit 1G easily.
No QoS set up, DPI is disabled too so nothing like that on.

It's fine now anyway
Old 27-11-2017, 13:08   #26
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
No QoS set up, DPI is disabled too so nothing like that on.

It's fine now anyway
Yay!

I would like to use a USG, all my in home wifi kit is ubiquiti, but I am using an i5-5250u running Sophos UTM, as I need filtering etc to stop kids getting on inappropriate sites.

This is the hardware I'm using:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...800711474.html

I've even used outbound nat to intercept all DNS requests and enforce safesearch, block the use of workarounds like Iodine (effectively VPN over DNS) etc.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 17:17   #27
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
ya, if you have a look at your config you will see you have been provisioned for 400 mbits.
Yeah! I had noticed. This level of provisioning virtually guarantees that I will get >300Mb even at peak times. Never had problem anyway, but pleased to have a 100Mb margin of error.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 17:22   #28
Synthetic
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Yay!

I would like to use a USG, all my in home wifi kit is ubiquiti, but I am using an i5-5250u running Sophos UTM, as I need filtering etc to stop kids getting on inappropriate sites.

This is the hardware I'm using:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...800711474.html

I've even used outbound nat to intercept all DNS requests and enforce safesearch, block the use of workarounds like Iodine (effectively VPN over DNS) etc.
Very nice, we use Sophos UTM at work (dedicated hardware) and it's very nice, never realised how untrustworthy our staff were before we got this!
Old 29-11-2017, 07:53   #29
SimonB79
Inactive

SimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enoughSimonB79 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Upgrading

internet went off last night about 01:00 .... I’m now on 24 download channels and 3 upload with the 400Mbps config!

South Shields!
SimonB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 20:01   #30
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

VM bod had no idea what I was on about, so I'll try again and hopefully get someone who speaks English as first language.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote