Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | More VM Jobs could be lost to the Philippines.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

More VM Jobs could be lost to the Philippines.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:50   #46
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: More VM Jobs could be lost to the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
Not sure why the tax avoidance issue impacts on our ability to function as a society. Its been going on for donkeys years, what makes me laugh is how people go on about the rich doing this but then pay their plumber cash in hand for work carried out.
I don't and I suspect that I know a lot of people who also hate the off shore taxes and jobs issue who wouldn't pay cash in hand..That's the way of cowboy builders.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:36   #47
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I don't and I suspect that I know a lot of people who also hate the off shore taxes and jobs issue who wouldn't pay cash in hand..That's the way of cowboy builders.
Similar for me Maggy but I also know a few who would. Tax avoidance takes place all over the place though, just yesterday I stopped off at some motorway services and went to get a sandwich from Greggs, the shop assistance asked the chap in from of me wether he was eating in or out, he said out and then went and sat down and therefore he avoided paying vat. Small scale compared to the value of some of the rich folks avoidance but if a number of people do the same thing its still a fair chunk of money.

In Richards post I don't get why he thinks this issue affects our ability to function as a society as its been happening for years?
Old 11-11-2017, 15:24   #48
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

It has, but at one time tax was 90%.

Governments in more recent years have believed that taxing the rich less brings in more overall revenue overall, so have lowered it. Despite this, they are still participating in eleborate schemes that aren't in the spirit of the law to pay even less. Raw greed IMO.

They could do the right & moral thing and pay up whilst still enjoying a lavish lifestyle, but instead they would rather have even more for themselves at the expense of public services and the most vulnerable in society.

You're right in that some lower income people do the things you describe, but there's a world of difference between someone on a modest income carrying out petty evasion/avoidance and what these people are doing.

In days gone by the rich have got richer and taken an ever increasing portion of the cake, whilst the average person has been happy with a enough crumbs to buy an average house & car, raise a family and go on holiday for two weeks a year.

The trouble is that the rich now want to even keep some of the crumbs for themselves too which is causing allsorts of problems and anomalies as awareness & resentment increases.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 16:26   #49
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It has, but at one time tax was 90%.

Governments in more recent years have believed that taxing the rich less brings in more overall revenue overall, so have lowered it. Despite this, they are still participating in eleborate schemes that aren't in the spirit of the law to pay even less. Raw greed IMO.

They could do the right & moral thing and pay up whilst still enjoying a lavish lifestyle, but instead they would rather have even more for themselves at the expense of public services and the most vulnerable in society.

You're right in that some lower income people do the things you describe, but there's a world of difference between someone on a modest income carrying out petty evasion/avoidance and what these people are doing.

In days gone by the rich have got richer and taken an ever increasing portion of the cake, whilst the average person has been happy with a enough crumbs to buy an average house & car, raise a family and go on holiday for two weeks a year.

The trouble is that the rich now want to even keep some of the crumbs for themselves too which is causing allsorts of problems and anomalies as awareness & resentment increases.
I have never resented rich folks who have come from humble backgrounds and have done well for themselves but I do not like some of the rich who have inherited their money.
Old 11-11-2017, 22:01   #50
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I have never resented rich folks who have come from humble backgrounds and have done well for themselves but I do not like some of the rich who have inherited their money.
I agree with you about those who just happened to get lucky, but believe that even those who have achieved wealth through their own efforts should share a reasonable amount of their income to help those less fortunate.

Whilst having a good career or owning a successful business can very often involve risk, hard work, long hours, personal sacrifice etc a lot is simply down to good luck (of course, good luck can simply mean not having any bad luck!)

Good luck can involve having a good upbringing, being born with a decent level of intelligence, being born with some sort of extraordinary marketable talent, not being born with any kind of debilitating illness or disability, etc.

I know many successful business people and some just happened to be on the right place at the right time, conversely, I know many who have worked really hard and who have had excellent business acumen, but have failed simply due to bad luck of reasons out of their control.

I also think that if you view life as a race where we all start at the starting line, those able to run fast and progress quicker than the others have a moral duty to help pick up anyone who stumbled and falls on the way or even help to carry those that are unable to even move from the starting point through no fault of their own.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:40   #51
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I agree with you about those who just happened to get lucky, but believe that even those who have achieved wealth through their own efforts should share a reasonable amount of their income to help those less fortunate.

Whilst having a good career or owning a successful business can very often involve risk, hard work, long hours, personal sacrifice etc a lot is simply down to good luck (of course, good luck can simply mean not having any bad luck!)

Good luck can involve having a good upbringing, being born with a decent level of intelligence, being born with some sort of extraordinary marketable talent, not being born with any kind of debilitating illness or disability, etc.

I know many successful business people and some just happened to be on the right place at the right time, conversely, I know many who have worked really hard and who have had excellent business acumen, but have failed simply due to bad luck of reasons out of their control.

I also think that if you view life as a race where we all start at the starting line, those able to run fast and progress quicker than the others have a moral duty to help pick up anyone who stumbled and falls on the way or even help to carry those that are unable to even move from the starting point through no fault of their own.
What a strange post. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the compensation culture and people who milk the system for all its worth.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 13:18   #52
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What a strange post. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the compensation culture and people who milk the system for all its worth.
I don't understand what you mean by that, could you explain more clearly please?

I think that as these offshore people are costing the UK in terms of lost income tax, employer/employee National Insurance Contributions, possible increased benefit payments and disposable income is being lost that there is a case for companies that indulge in this practice to be taxed in the same way that robotic 'employees' is being suggested.

It would discourage it and at least share the (alleged) economic benefits of this practice.

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Vodafone are currently in the process of expanding their UK call centres as they will eventually stop using oversea call centres.
Excellent news, I may change to Vodafone in support when I get a new smartphone.

I'm sure that Vodafone must have looked at this holistically before reaching this decision and realised that commercial benefits extend beyond the simple fact that they can on paper save money by using foreigners as a means of cheap labour.

I remember reading a report about this 20 years ago, but never thought that companies would be stupid enough to do it to the extent that they are doing today.

There's an advert on TV that reinforces the fact that they have UK based call centres, not sure if that's Vodafone or another company like a bank.

Hopefully the tide is turning.

I caught a repeat of fonejacker the other day and thought of this thread

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=inte...jacker%20&sm=1

Whilst it is funny, there's a serious message in there because many people, especially the elderly and vulnerable, such as those who are mentally impaired find these people impossible to deal with.

Also, there was a documentary series about a man who formally had a business in Wales who tried out this offshore lark:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=nev%...0india%20&sm=1

It was so farcical that it was more of a comedy.
Old 13-11-2017, 12:08   #53
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

There is a difference paying cash in hand to someone whose done a small job for you and doing it on a large job to get a "discount" knowing that it's done to avoid tax.
Old 13-11-2017, 15:13   #54
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Both are done to avoid tax, so there is no difference, other than value.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 15:54   #55
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
Re: More VM could be lost to the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
I have discussed this in the past with friends and family and this is the one thing that annoys me tbh about VM.

I think I may just leave VM simply being as it's bad enough atm trying to get through to a UK call center.

I take it all back just ordered a new mobile and came up with a problem when trying to sign the new contract agreement. I phoned VM and I got put through to a off shore call center and I gave it chance, instead of doing my usual and hanging up at the first hurdle or I'm sorry Mam I don't understand.

I must say the lady was so nice and extremely helpful sent me a new link to my email and spoke myself through the whole process, she even stayed on the line to make sure it went through smoothly, to say I'm very pleased with the service that VM provided is a understatement.

The language barrier was a slight problem at times example saying passwords etc but saying that I sorted that simply by speaking slower, so maybe all that is and was needed is for myself to remember this is there 2nd language and that with a little patience on both sides the problem can be fixed.

Today's experience getting through to a off shore call center was indeed a pleasant surprise but like I say I spoke more slowly and was far more patient than usual, all in all it was a far better experience and I shall be doing this for now on.
Old 13-11-2017, 16:48   #56
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: More VM could be lost to the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
I take it all back just ordered a new mobile and came up with a problem when trying to sign the new contract agreement. I phoned VM and I got put through to a off shore call center and I gave it chance, instead of doing my usual and hanging up at the first hurdle or I'm sorry Mam I don't understand.

I must say the lady was so nice and extremely helpful sent me a new link to my email and spoke myself through the whole process, she even stayed on the line to make sure it went through smoothly, to say I'm very pleased with the service that VM provided is a understatement.

The language barrier was a slight problem at times example saying passwords etc but saying that I sorted that simply by speaking slower, so maybe all that is and was needed is for myself to remember this is there 2nd language and that with a little patience on both sides the problem can be fixed.

Today's experience getting through to a off shore call center was indeed a pleasant surprise but like I say I spoke more slowly and was far more patient than usual, all in all it was a far better experience and I shall be doing this for now on.
Good on you, weenie.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 18:03   #57
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

When I'm wrong I do sometimes admit it
Old 13-11-2017, 18:47   #58
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Some are good, but it's a lottery as to who you get.

Also, as I found with a fault the other day, even when they are giving out correct information I am wary of them because of their poor comprehension of English & because they tend to just read off prompted scripts.

I have a feeling that some do this job partly to better their English as some want to have a chat too! The other day one was asking what the weather was like, who I lived with and if I liked soup!

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What's the compensation culture got to do with anything . Who is milking what system?

I'm not sure what you mean, but it could be me as my brain injury has affected my cognitive skills. If you mean those who need to be carried in my anallergy, I meant those unable to work at all due to things like disability or caring responsibilities.

Those who need to be helped up after stumbling refers to those temporarily unable to work due to temporary sickness or a period of unemployment whilst seeking work.

I wouldn't say that any of those groups were freeloaders. In fact, carers save this money billions of pounds in return for £62.70 a week:

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

If you meant me personally then I've done some sort of work since I was 12 years old and still go into work as and when I can on a zero hours contract.
Old 13-11-2017, 19:57   #59
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Some are good, but it's a lottery as to who you get.

Also, as I found with a fault the other day, even when they are giving out correct information I am wary of them because of their poor comprehension of English & because they tend to just read off prompted scripts.

I have a feeling that some do this job partly to better their English as some want to have a chat too! The other day one was asking what the weather was like, who I lived with and if I liked soup![COLOR="Silver"]
Its a lottery no matter if they are in England, Wales, Ireland or Scotland as well. Nationality has nothing to do with companies employing the occasional idiot.

They get a job to earn money and many in India having a degree is part of the job requirements! Nothing to do with learning English as they all can speak it.
Old 13-11-2017, 21:19   #60
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Not sure why the tax avoidance issue impacts on our ability to function as a society. Its been going on for donkeys years, what makes me laugh is how people go on about the rich doing this but then pay their plumber cash in hand for work carried out.
Been saying this for years now. Many people aren't declaring there income ECT

---------- Post added at 20:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Its a lottery no matter if they are in England, Wales, Ireland or Scotland as well. Nationality has nothing to do with companies employing the occasional idiot.

They get a job to earn money and many in India having a degree is part of the job requirements! Nothing to do with learning English as they all can speak it.
Speaking a language is one thing but have they been taught the language properly or have learn't it?

Pronouncing the words properly, pauses ect when speaking with many people from India for example they tend to speak in one long sentence similar to how they speak there language. Simple words we would use to explain many situations are not common to them so this can also lead to frustration and anger. Older people do struggle understanding them.

So to say they can speak English is enough, isn't enough at times.