Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 26-05-2017, 14:02   #1381
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Although our new local channel, Made In Reading, commenced broadcasting earlier this month, there is no sign of this on my EPG yet.

I presume VM will be adding this channel before too long.
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2017, 17:03   #1382
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Nobody can put an exact figure on that. Even now, with MPEG2, video streams run at different bitrates. Universal HD generally has a higher bitrate than, say, Fox HD. With a 100% full TiVo you could potentially delete a 1 hour recording made from Universal HD and create enough space to record 2, 1 hour, recordings from Fox HD. Sky Sports HD channels have even greater bitrates than Universal HD. There is no accurate answer, it depends on what you record and the amount of data in the individual video stream being recorded.

The only accurate answer is that MPEG4 would take up less space than MPEG2. Exactly how much less? How long is a piece of string?

[In certain circumstances, MPEG4 can be around twice as efficient as MPEG2. That doesn't really mean that MPEG4 would double the capacity of the box. Other factors are involved.]

---------- Post added at 03:24 ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 ----------

Or maybe it is just visiting, following the trend set by Amazon Video and Viceland. I tend to think of it along the lines of students getting the feel of a new school on an open day.
Lol

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply.

As I don't have Sky Sports and very rarely record from Universal, I'm hoping that my recording habits will mean my box effectively being able to record 50% more.

Do you know what DVB-C2 is and if VM would ever be able to easily convert to this as, apparently, this would improve things even more?
Old 26-05-2017, 17:44   #1383
Lozenge
Inactive

Lozenge is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
I suppose Ben we are along way off for the SD channels being compressed to MPEG4 because there are a load of legacy SD only boxes out there I suppose?
Lots of platforms still use MPEG2 for SD (even satellite at 28 degrees east which is used by Sky; I assume as you said at least partly due to SD legacy boxes). They only use MPEG4 for HD and its good to see VM are about to follow suit.

A lot of SD channels are already highly compressed with low resolutions and bitrates (which are obvious to see from how awful some look). I'm not sure that there would be a significant reason for these to change anytime soon. You could say that if they use less space as a whole then each channel could have more space and look better, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Last edited by Lozenge; 26-05-2017 at 17:52.
Old 26-05-2017, 20:12   #1384
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
As I don't have Sky Sports and very rarely record from Universal, I'm hoping that my recording habits will mean my box effectively being able to record 50% more.
They were just given as an example to demonstrate that not all HD channels operate at the same bitrate.

Quote:
Do you know what DVB-C2 is and if VM would ever be able to easily convert to this as, apparently, this would improve things even more?
DVB-C2 would be a significant improvement over DVB-C if capacity becomes an issue. Put simply, it increases the overall bitrate of a transport stream. So more broadcast channels could be added, within the 8 MHz bandwidth used by each transport stream, without a drop in quality. Equivalent quality basically means that the existing video stream bitrates would be maintained, so no change in the space they occupy on the Tivo.

As with any infrastructure change it would have a cost. So the question is does VM need the extra capacity? At the moment, possibly not.

Old 26-05-2017, 21:34   #1385
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Many thanks for explaining.

The 'Made In' local TV channels are to start simulcasting truTV.

The 'Thats TV' local channels already simulcast 'Talking Pictures'.

Whilst this can be useful for Freeview viewers who cannot receive Talking Pictures, I don't see how simulcasting truTV benefits viewers on any platform:

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/05/l...-teams-up.html
Old 26-05-2017, 23:14   #1386
jj20x

Quote:
The 'Made In' local TV channels are to start simulcasting truTV.
Perhaps Sony could merge trutv and the local channels and then rebrand as Made In Japan...

Seriously though, the local tv channels are now beyond a joke.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Although our new local channel, Made In Reading, commenced broadcasting earlier this month, there is no sign of this on my EPG yet.

I presume VM will be adding this channel before too long.
They didn't take very long adding Made in Teesside, so it could be "coming soon". I would have thought that VM would have a problem with both Made in Reading and Made in Basingstoke within the coverage area of Reading headend. With Made TV apparently re-branding and merging the areas into Made in Thames Valley, perhaps it won't be such a problem... "not so local" tv. In the meantime, you can catch most of the content on TruTV.

I'm told that Reading headend takes ITV Meridian South rather than the correct region of ITV Meridian Thames Valley, so I wouldn't like to guess if that oddity will be repeated for local tv.

Old 27-05-2017, 00:47   #1387
DreamRJ
cf.member

DreamRJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Carl on another forum posted that Talking Pictures launches on Virgin Media on channel 445 on june 1st!

https://www.facebook.com/TalkingPict...type=3&theater
Old 27-05-2017, 00:55   #1388
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRJ View Post
Carl on another forum posted that Talking Pictures launches on Virgin Media on channel 445 on june 1st!

That's good for VM customers and well done to Talking Pictures for making its business model work.
Old 27-05-2017, 01:18   #1389
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
That's good for VM customers and well done to Talking Pictures for making its business model work.
Is it? Only those who like mostly old black and white movies!
Old 27-05-2017, 01:19   #1390
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Not if that's the quality of new channels that Virgin intend to make available.

While some may welcome this predominently black and white channel, and they are welcome to it, I still live in hope that some further quality content will come our way soon. And when I say 'soon', I'm not referring to the celebrated VM definition.

I want to see John Malone's stated vision of bringing maximum content to VM without the need to actually own the rights come to fruition. Preferably, in my lifetime.
Old 27-05-2017, 01:24   #1391
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

They claim that they will be FTA on VM too!?

Wonder which pack it will go into, as even some channels on Freeview are encrypted in the M/Player pack.
Old 27-05-2017, 04:06   #1392
jj20x

Quote:

The first of the month seems like a good date for a channel launch. It was first detected off the EPG on May 10th, so hasn't been hanging around anywhere near as long as the ones that got away.

---------- Post added at 03:06 ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 ----------

Quote:
They claim that they will be FTA on VM too!?

Wonder which pack it will go into, as even some channels on Freeview are encrypted in the M/Player pack.
It is, indeed, encrypted but most channels are on VM. Yes, it will be interesting to see which pack it launches in.

Old 27-05-2017, 06:37   #1393
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Is it? Only those who like mostly old black and white movies!
B&W movies have been some of the best films produced in the world of the silver screen even to this day.

---------- Post added at 05:37 ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 ----------

Quote:
Mr K will be taking his grumpy mask off for once when he hears this news as the old git is not that easily please usually.
Old 27-05-2017, 10:51   #1394
tpick
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV (EX NTL/CW), Broadband 100mb, Virgin Home Phone, Sky Sports, V+ box & Tivo Box
tpick is on a distinguished roadtpick is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Talking Pictures TV have now confirmed that they will be coming to Virgin Media Channel 445 on Thursday 1st June

https://twitter.com/TalkingPicsTV
Old 27-05-2017, 14:29   #1395
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Indeed. They are only two years old and as other channels close or reduce their presence on platforms to cut costs, they are now on all the major platforms- including being on Freeview twice!
Closed Thread