Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | June 8th General Election

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

June 8th General Election
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for on 8th June?
Conservatives 47 48.96%
Labour 24 25.00%
Liberal Democrats 9 9.38%
UKIP 4 4.17%
Greens 2 2.08%
Other 5 5.21%
None, I will Abstain. 5 5.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:47   #1036
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: June 8th General Election

I don't think anyone will disagree that Jeremy Corbyn has had a good campaign and that Theresa May has suffered following a major wobble on her social care policy.

However, when voters go to the polls, I hope they will consider who to vote for very, very carefully.

Jeremy Corbyn has attracted a lot of people because he is promising the Earth. Unfortunately, the economy is nowhere near strong enough to pay for such a spending splurge. Despite what Labour say about having their plans 'fully costed', just looking at the corporation tax proposal is all you need to know about their flaky understanding of economics. It has been proved already that lower taxes can increase revenue, and this has been proved already, with recent reductions in corporation tax providing a larger tax return, as well as a stimulus for businesses to settle in the UK. That surely shows that if you put up corporation tax, the reverse will happen.

For some reason, nationalisation of the railways and utility companies has suddenly become popular. Why? They were privatised so as to bring more investment into areas of the economy which were stagnating. Since privatisation, that investment has been forthcoming, with new rolling stock for the railways, cleaner trains, services more reliable than before, and so on.

The Labour Party say that they will rule for the many, not the few. However, I wonder if it will be the many or the few who will suffer when Corbyn's grand plan comes crashing to Earth within the first year of a Labour Government?

Labour would be a disaster for us and our economy, which remains in a parlous state. While we continue to have a deficit, our trillions of pounds of debt will continue to grow. Only the Conservatives have a plan to get that deficit down, albeit slower than they would like, due to the backlash against austerity measures. But be in no doubt, austerity will be back with a vengence with another Labour Government.

Those car crash Labour interviews show clearly that the Labour leader and his shadow ministers do not have a clue when it comes to finance. That should be the obvious clue to what to expect from them if you are thinking of voting for them.

Of course, Labour have some very popular policies. But we cannot afford them. That should be obvious to all.

Theresa May's campaign has not been a good one, but she is without doubt the most credible of all the candidates, and her party is the most competent. I know who I want to negotiate Brexit for us. Can you imagine what a pig's ear Jeremy would make of it?
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2017, 10:06   #1037
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't think anyone will disagree that Jeremy Corbyn has had a good campaign and that Theresa May has suffered following a major wobble on her social care policy.

However, when voters go to the polls, I hope they will consider who to vote for very, very carefully.

Jeremy Corbyn has attracted a lot of people because he is promising the Earth. Unfortunately, the economy is nowhere near strong enough to pay for such a spending splurge. Despite what Labour say about having their plans 'fully costed', just looking at the corporation tax proposal is all you need to know about their flaky understanding of economics. It has been proved already that lower taxes can increase revenue, and this has been proved already, with recent reductions in corporation tax providing a larger tax return, as well as a stimulus for businesses to settle in the UK. That surely shows that if you put up corporation tax, the reverse will happen.

I agree, studies seem to back your statement above

For some reason, nationalisation of the railways and utility companies has suddenly become popular. Why? They were privatised so as to bring more investment into areas of the economy which were stagnating. Since privatisation, that investment has been forthcoming, with new rolling stock for the railways, cleaner trains, services more reliable than before, and so on.

Entirely dependant on the area of the country in which you reside. Certain areas are still running pacers despite promises they would be phased out, I think a few South Western passengers may disagree quite vocally regarding service reliability

The Labour Party say that they will rule for the many, not the few. However, I wonder if it will be the many or the few who will suffer when Corbyn's grand plan comes crashing to Earth within the first year of a Labour Government?

Speculation and conjecture with no supporting evidence.

Labour would be a disaster for us and our economy, which remains in a parlous state. While we continue to have a deficit, our trillions of pounds of debt will continue to grow. Only the Conservatives have a plan to get that deficit down, albeit slower than they would like, due to the backlash against austerity measures. But be in no doubt, austerity will be back with a vengence with another Labour Government.

All parties have a plan, you might not like it but they do. The conservatives also have a habit of changing things on a whim. Austerity hasn't gone away?

Those car crash Labour interviews show clearly that the Labour leader and his shadow ministers do not have a clue when it comes to finance. That should be the obvious clue to what to expect from them if you are thinking of voting for them.

Theresa May hiding from debate, turning up in places such as Guisbrough and not announcing the location until arrival, refusing to answer any question that was not pre submitted for scrutinisation. That should tell you something if you're thinking of voting for them.

Of course, Labour have some very popular policies. But we cannot afford them. That should be obvious to all.

We can, but we would all have an increased cost to burden, it comes down to if you believe personal success or the success of the community is most important and if the extra burden is worth it.

Theresa May's campaign has not been a good one, but she is without doubt the most credible of all the candidates, and her party is the most competent. I know who I want to negotiate Brexit for us. Can you imagine what a pig's ear Jeremy would make of it?

Neither May nor Corbyn will negotiate Brexit. Neither May for Corbyn are credible and neither party is competent and there in unfortunately lies the rub.
From a still undecided voter......
Old 08-06-2017, 10:15   #1038
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold

Theresa may or may not.After her recent u turns she has disappointed me greatly.A leader has to stick to her beliefs and not fold at the first sign of pressure.Does not fill me with confidence of the forthcoming brexit talks(I'm a brexiteer)
Old 08-06-2017, 10:22   #1039
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We now have a new thread with an exit poll. Please continue all election discussion in the new thread.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...php?t=33704990

This thread is now closed.
Closed Thread