Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 13-10-2017, 09:11   #2986
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I mean, how many of us can't record these days?
LOTS of people. (Including me, as it happens)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm sorry, MB , but if this is the best you can up with, then I think your deal with VM sucks.
MB has a deal with VM?
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2017, 11:47   #2987
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

MB has a deal with VM?
Jesus old boy if It wasnt for mediaboy we wouldnt know anything
Old 13-10-2017, 12:33   #2988
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

MB has a deal with VM?
Whoops, sorry! Personally, I don't know anyone who doesn't have a means to record, and having had a device for many years now, right back to the days of VHS casette tapes (that must be the 1980s), I made that comment without thinking. So +1 channels must have their uses even now!

As for MB, I must say, I'm gutted! I was really believing those DNP orders....

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Jesus old boy if It wasnt for mediaboy we wouldnt know anything
According to MB's own site, there is nothing to report, so I'm not sure what it is you think we know! Do tell....
Old 13-10-2017, 13:41   #2989
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Have all the DNP been revealed? Was it anything juicy?

I don't expect anything to arrive sadly. Fox news has even been taken off Sky so have no chance now....that dream has died. I can imagine Sky Atlantic may be discussed when VM need to renew their sky basic contract? Any idea when that is up?

No doubt sky will offer SA for an amount which VM will laugh and say is too expensive and then send out a letter saying about another price increase.

As is life!
Old 13-10-2017, 15:25   #2990
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
I tend to agree but where a +1 channel attracts more viewers than an alternative channel, it is still more attractive to advertisers. Ultimately a FTA broadcaster is totally dependent on income from advertising, so will go for whatever brings in the most cash.

+1s are still quite attractive on Freeview, PVRs are readily available but it is a platform where not everyone has them or even wants them.
I still find them useful on occasion when clashes occur (even with 6 tuners).

Apart from the V6 and Sky Q I think that most PVR's only have 2 or 3 tuners, so they need them more than ever.

However, space is very limited on Freeview and we now have VOD, so maybe OB has a point, I guess it's ultimately what attracts viewers and keeps the advertisers happy.
Old 13-10-2017, 16:07   #2991
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
However, space is very limited on Freeview and we now have VOD, so maybe OB has a point, I guess it's ultimately what attracts viewers and keeps the advertisers happy.
There is certainly a limit to capacity on Freeview. I'd argue that, perhaps, it isn't "very limited" at the moment. Far from there being a queue of broadcasters clamouring for available capacity, there remains a substantial amount of unused capacity, much of which is available at reduced rates.

But, as I said, advertisers are interested in getting their message out to the highest possible number of viewers. Niche channels aren't really attractive to mainstream advertisers.

Old 13-10-2017, 17:10   #2992
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
There is certainly a limit to capacity on Freeview. I'd argue that, perhaps, it isn't "very limited" at the moment. Far from there being a queue of broadcasters clamouring for available capacity, there remains a substantial amount of unused capacity, much of which is available at reduced rates.

But, as I said, advertisers are interested in getting their message out to the highest possible number of viewers. Niche channels aren't really attractive to mainstream advertisers.
Sorry, I meant to say on national Freeview. It's true that there is unused capacity on the temporary muxes until 2020.

I wonder if the clearance of 700MHz will see the end of channels on Freeview like Keep It Country, Talking Pictures etc?

Star Gold/Plus/Bharat are now available on my EPG. Does anyone else have these (I'm on XL). I'm pretty sure they never used to be available and assumed that it was because News Corp own them and wouldn't let VM put them in mainstream packages like they have on Sky.
Old 13-10-2017, 17:43   #2993
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

The following channels has been seen on the old XL pack since about 1am last night. They are 'STAR GOLD, STAR PLUS, STAR BHARAT, SONY TV, SONY MAX, ZEE TV, ZEE CINEMA, ZEE PUNJABI, B4U MOVIES, NDTV GOOD TIMES & NDTV SPICE'
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 13-10-2017, 17:48   #2994
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
The following channels has been seen on the old XL pack since about 1am last night. They are 'STAR GOLD, STAR PLUS, STAR BHARAT, SONY TV, SONY MAX, ZEE TV, ZEE CINEMA, ZEE PUNJABI, B4U MOVIES, NDTV GOOD TIMES & NDTV SPICE'

That's good news - I'm underwhelmed!
Old 13-10-2017, 19:04   #2995
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Do we know if this is permanent or a free period? From a selfish point of view i'm hoping it's the latter as I now have to keep deleting things I'll never watch!

Edit: Just called VM to ask; she said that they had not been told about this, so looked at my account to confirm I wouldn't be charged.

Confirmed that they had not been added as standalone channels, so it must be presumed that this is either a free period of that they have been permanently moved into XL.

Is anybody on the lower packages getting the Star etc channels?

---------- Post added at 17:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Quote:
That's ironic really considering the job that you do with TiVo!

In many years to come I suspect that the content owners will try to prevent home recording and use VOD to control their material more.

I was shocked when I read in another thread on here that some things that people actually buy become unavailable after so long!!! Can't do that with a DVD.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 13-10-2017 at 18:59.
Old 13-10-2017, 19:28   #2996
jj20x

Quote:
Sorry, I meant to say on national Freeview. It's true that there is unused capacity on the temporary muxes until 2020.
There's unused capacity on COM 6, given that it hasn't been configured for 16 video streams and that they had to resort to selling part time capacity rather than a full time stream.

Quote:
I wonder if the clearance of 700MHz will see the end of channels on Freeview like Keep It Country, Talking Pictures etc?
Arqiva are clearly keen on running the temporary muxes until they feel that the market is ready for a switch to DVB-T2. Whether some of the minority channels will bring in enough advertising revenue to support carriage from 80 sites rather than 30 remains to be seen.

Quote:
Star Gold/Plus/Bharat are now available on my EPG. Does anyone else have these (I'm on XL). I'm pretty sure they never used to be available and assumed that it was because News Corp own them and wouldn't let VM put them in mainstream packages like they have on Sky.
Changes to the SDT were noted last night but haven't been analysed at this stage. Ironically because the parameters used for analysis are being changed to speed up the process.

Old 13-10-2017, 20:07   #2997
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

That's ironic really considering the job that you do with TiVo!

In many years to come I suspect that the content owners will try to prevent home recording and use VOD to control their material more.

I was shocked when I read in another thread on here that some things that people actually buy become unavailable after so long!!! Can't do that with a DVD.
You are probably right, Richard. I suspect that we will get all material shown previously from the cloud, and we will be paying for the privilege of doing so!
Old 14-10-2017, 00:28   #2998
jj20x

Quote:
Pack codes haven't changed but appear to have been suppressed for the following channels: SONY SAB, SONY TV, HUM EUROPE, Islam Channel Urdu, B4U Movies, B4U Music, NDTV India, NDTV Spice, NDTV Good Times, Zing, Zee Cinema, Star Plus, Star Gold, Star Bharat, Rishtey Europe, Zee TV, &TV, MTV Beats, Islam Channel English, Brit Asia TV, Zee Punjabi, Rishtey Cineplex, COLORS & SONY MAX. (Phew thank heavens for copy & paste.) - Suggesting that each of these channels should currently be available to all VM subscribers.

Not a good time then for Islam Channel English to apparently be broken, with a blank screen and Islam Channel Urdu to be displaying the Oops! technical difficulties slate.

Also the EPG Name of Star Bharat has changed from Bharat to StarBharat.

Brit Asia TV and Rishtey Cineplex have had a change of category from Entertainment to International, so should now be listed correctly in the International EPG option.

Erm.. yay! I'm quite sure this is just the sort of change everyone wanted.

Old 14-10-2017, 00:54   #2999
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Have all the DNP been revealed?
They are not worth it - they will screw your life up as revealed today in a Guardian headline

Quote:
'I felt like I was burning up from the inside out': what are the effects of DNP?
Old 14-10-2017, 01:00   #3000
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
They are not worth it - they will screw your life up as revealed today in a Guardian headline
Quite! The DNP is designed to leave you sweating, faint and unable to function.

Closed Thread