Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | E-mails when moving house to non-cabled area

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

E-mails when moving house to non-cabled area

Old 19-10-2017, 14:19   #1
SilverLady
Inactive

SilverLady is an unknown quantity at this point
E-mails when moving house to non-cabled area

I'll be moving house at end of November to a non-cabled area after being with Virgin since the early days of blueyonder. I'm preparing for the move, so will probably have more questions as time goes on, but here's the first one.

I will have 2 months of contract still to run and understand about the cancellation fee and that the e-mail account will remain active for 3 months afterwards. I will change to using Gmail.

I access my e-mail through Thunderbird and store some of the e-mails in folders. I've noticed that whatever I do on Thunderbird is copied on my Virgin Media mail website.

Question:

When Virgin finally deletes my e-mail account will I lose all the e-mail stored in the Thunderbird folders? If so, how do I transfer the folders to somewhere else on my computer for storage?

Thanks for any help.
SilverLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2017, 14:52   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: E-mails when moving house to non-cabled area

Thunderbird stores all your mail locally on your PC and has no link with those mails stored at VM.

Storage is allocated to each user so the mail boxes are all separate. Generally these are on the following path:

Documents and settings>user_id>application data>Thunderbird>profiles>unique.default>Mail

Later OS may substitute "users" for "documents and settings"

user_id is your login on the system or the default on startup if you are the only user

"unique.default" is a name generated by the system.

This branch can be browsed and the mail boxes copied using windows explorer.
Old 19-10-2017, 17:43   #3
SilverLady
Inactive

Thanks for your help, but I'm having trouble with this.

There seems to be a link with Virgin. Virgin shows identical folders to the ones I have created in Thunderbird. If I delete an e-mail from a folder in Virgin, this is also deleted in the Thunderbird Folder.

I have followed the path you gave, but after reaching the 'unique.default' I am given the following folders: Cache, Cache2, Safebrowsing, StartupCache but on checking through each of these, I can find nothing called 'mail'.

Where am I going wrong?
Old 19-10-2017, 20:01   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Have you got your receive protocol set for IMAP? This is interactive with the mail boxes on your PC. I would suggest setting back to the older POP3.

On the subject of finding the mail boxes I still run under XP so I'm not a guru here.
Old 20-10-2017, 13:19   #5
SilverLady
Inactive

Hi

For anyone who is having the same problem, I have found a solution although it doesn't save on my computer (or at least I haven't found it).

I opened a gmail account and set up folders (called labels in gmail) with the same name as each of my storage folders in Virgin Media account on Thunderbird.

I opened a new account on Thunderbird for my gmail account.

I then selected all the files in each blueyonder folder and dragged them to the gmail folder of the same name.

Now emails are stored on gmail not virgin.

Only slight problem is that it seems to move the files to the label 'all mail' as well as the selected folder so they are stored twice, but I'll experiment with this.
Old 20-10-2017, 13:27   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Just to point out that even when you're set to IMAP, you can archive emails to your local machine in Thunderbird:

http://pageplay.com/help/archiving-y...la-thunderbird
Old 20-10-2017, 13:56   #7
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Emails are not stored multiple times. 'All Mail' is simply a second label.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 14:09   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Emails are not stored multiple times. 'All Mail' is simply a second label.
It's the other way around on Google. 'All Mail' is where they actually are. Everything else is a label that changes what you can see.