Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Build Woes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

New Build Woes

Old 11-04-2017, 09:01   #16
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Services: VIVID200 Gamer, Mix TV with V6 TiVo
duncan.stevenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Build Woes

Good morning Steve, just wondering if there'd be any progress made in the last week?

Is there an approximate timescale available yet?

Hope you had a good weekend
duncan.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2017, 10:33   #17
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Have been off for the past week Duncan, will get an update for you this week.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 10:40   #18
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Have been off for the past week Duncan, will get an update for you this week.
Oh, sorry to hassle you. Hope you had a lovely week off!
Old 18-04-2017, 17:38   #19
MonkeyMagic
Inactive

MonkeyMagic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am moving into this estate as well in the next couple of weeks and I'm terrified I won't get a decent broadband speed! My kids will be a nightmare!!! :-)
Will keep an eye on this forum!
MonkeyMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 09:13   #20
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic View Post
Hi, I am moving into this estate as well in the next couple of weeks and I'm terrified I won't get a decent broadband speed! My kids will be a nightmare!!! :-)
Will keep an eye on this forum!
Broadband speeds here are atrocious on ADSL. We currently get about 2Mb/s. Our neighbours are also struggling as things like Netflix just don't work well at all.

We use Sonos all over our home which plays music from streaming services. If we're playing music and some device starts backing up or updating itself (as is common these days) the music stops. It's truly unbearable.

I'll drop you a PM, it'd be good to get to know some folk in the neighbourhood!
Old 19-04-2017, 15:08   #21
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

I just saw a couple guys install a large new cabinet next to a smaller existing cabinet on Jardine Avenue. I had a brief chat with them and they confirmed it was a VM cabinet going in, and that power was also going in today (though I thought that had been done - who knows!) but they weren't sure whether there was any fibre here yet.

The seemed to think that it wouldn't be long now. I can only hope!
Old 20-04-2017, 22:03   #22
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

They were our contractors installing the MSAN (Telco) cabinet, the power feed is in to the smaller cabinet already, it is then cross connected to the larger cabinet. The fibre isn't in yet, there are issues off site that prevent us from pulling the cable in to activate the cabinets but it is in progress

Will keep you posted.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 22:11   #23
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
They were our contractors installing the MSAN (Telco) cabinet, the power feed is in to the smaller cabinet already, it is then cross connected to the larger cabinet. The fibre isn't in yet, there are issues off site that prevent us from pulling the cable in to activate the cabinets but it is in progress

Will keep you posted.
Thanks for the update! Hopefully the issues aren't too severe and don't delay things too much! 🤞🏼
Old 28-04-2017, 15:54   #24
MonkeyMagic
Inactive

MonkeyMagic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Any update on the fibre pull?
MonkeyMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 16:37   #25
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic View Post
Hi,

Any update on the fibre pull?
I should imagine weesteev will post here when there is more news as promised.

Last edited by pip08456; 28-04-2017 at 16:38. Reason: Typo
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 16:54   #26
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I should imagine weesteev will post here when there is more news as promised.
I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine that in 7 days something might have happened.

Trust me, any scrap of news (even if that is "no news") is welcome when you're living with, or have the prospect of living with, useless internet!
Old 28-04-2017, 18:48   #27
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

It's not unusual to imagine anything so if it makes you feel better keep on hounding weesteev.

Or

wait until he has news for you.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 21:44   #28
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Chill guys, he is posting here on his own time
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 00:10   #29
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan.stevenson View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine that in 7 days something might have happened.

Trust me, any scrap of news (even if that is "no news") is welcome when you're living with, or have the prospect of living with, useless internet!
It is in the world of big companies, telecoms and subcontractors. Things just don't happen anywhere near as quickly as you seem to think they do.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 00:39   #30
duncan.stevenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
It is in the world of big companies, telecoms and subcontractors. Things just don't happen anywhere near as quickly as you seem to think they do.
Haha, I know! It would seem you're correct. Though I don't think it's too much to ask for a big company like Virgin to complete on time. There must be many people on the development who didn't have the option of Virgin when they moved in, so won't bother to switch when it launches. Many will be in a contract, so won't switch for at least 12/18/24 months at a minimum. It just seems like a poorly thought out rollout.

Openreach had their network connected up from day one. It just seems like a no-brainer from a business perspective. Also, bear in mind that this saga has been ongoing since before I reserved the home in September last year. The delay was highlighted to me then, but it was anticipated that the issues would likely be resolved by the time we moved in in February. That's more than 6 months delay for rollout into a brand new development - we're not talking about digging up roads here.

Anyway, I appreciate Steve's updates and input, and fully accept that he's doing so on his own time and under his own steam. My assumption is that he's a busy man and probably doesn't keep track of every thread he's offered advice on. A small prompt for an update I hope isn't seen as harassment or bombardment, though I apologise if that's the case. I'm certainly not aggrieved by him - quite the contrary, he's been a great source of information and has offered, to some extent, some assurance that we'll get Virgin eventually!

I admit to being a worrier and a little obsessive about the details of these things. At the back of my mind, I still can't shake the fear that something will go wrong and we'll be stuck with ADSL forever.