Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect?

Old 16-02-2017, 09:43   #1
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect?

I went to view a new build property last night and was pleasantly surprised to see it had been cabled for Virgin Media.

What I didn't expect (And was an even more pleasant surprise) was that the bedrooms and living room all had Ethernet sockets in them, with a Virgin Media logo on a (otherwise empty) plate next to them.

Am I right in thinking this is possibly FTTP?

(Sorry, I didn't think to take pictures at the time).

Now, to my understanding, Virgin uses RFoG so the end point equipment is the same - same Superhub, same TiVo box - somewhere the fibre gets converted into a coaxial output. What I'm having trouble grasping is how this works with Ethernet sockets?

I couldn't spot an omnibox anywhere. There might have been a coaxial wall plate in the Living room but I didn't get a good look, nor could I find any kind of patch panel for the Ethernet sockets (I didn't get to look in all of the cupboards, though).

I'm guessing this is fairly standard for new builds, but I can't find any information on it - what should I expect? A Cupboard somewhere with a bunch of coax dangling and a patch panel? Or is there like a shed somewhere in the street passing straight up Ethernet to the houses? (I'm not sure how I'd feel about that and I don't see how that would work with TiVo).

Anyone got anything like this?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2017, 09:49   #2
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect?

Yes I'd imagine there will be a point somewhere in the house with a patch panel. Interesting though! I wonder how the Tivo is supposed to connect?
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 09:57   #3
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Yes I'd imagine there will be a point somewhere in the house with a patch panel. Interesting though! I wonder how the Tivo is supposed to connect?
This is what I'm wondering! I'm guessing there was a coax point that I just didn't see, but I really don't know.

The plot I viewed was the show home, the plot I've reserved isn't going to be ready for a while but when it is I'll take pictures.
Old 16-02-2017, 10:15   #4
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Perhaps they wire up ethernet in advance as part of the deal but do the coax like a normal install, or perhaps they do all the TV over IP? Certainly they should have the bandwidth if it's a fibre connection externally, I think Sky do similar on some new builds to deliver without dishes.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 17:58   #5
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

From my experience with new builds there usually is either 2 setups...

If it is a house under the stairs there is a double blanking plate with all the wires behind if it's a flat usually this is in the airing cupboard.

The coax will come from the distribution cabinet normally in the basement or cupboard in one of the communal hallways if a flat or straight to the street cabinet if a house
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 10:54   #6
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
From my experience with new builds there usually is either 2 setups...

If it is a house under the stairs there is a double blanking plate with all the wires behind if it's a flat usually this is in the airing cupboard.

The coax will come from the distribution cabinet normally in the basement or cupboard in one of the communal hallways if a flat or straight to the street cabinet if a house
It's a house and I did look under the stairs, but there wasn't anything there. There is a second cupboard upstairs though, which I didn't look in - could be there.
Old 17-02-2017, 13:28   #7
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

We don't wire Ethernet. The branded sockets you would have seen are either just a blanking plate or an angled F connector in a Euro Module panel. We only fit RG6 coaxial cable in New Build properties. We do recommend that developers fit Ethernet but that's at their own cost and expertise.

Regardless of whether its an FTTP or HFC build, the internal wiring is still coaxial.

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 14:43   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

And handily, you can see that on this site here

http://www.virginmedia.com/lightning...rty-developers

There is a PDF which details exactly how Virgin Media recommend installation in a new build
Old 17-02-2017, 15:13   #9
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Shame no one took any notice of that when they were doing my building haha!
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 15:42   #10
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
And handily, you can see that on this site here

http://www.virginmedia.com/lightning...rty-developers

There is a PDF which details exactly how Virgin Media recommend installation in a new build
I found this before, but it may as well have been greek to me! Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
We don't wire Ethernet. The branded sockets you would have seen are either just a blanking plate or an angled F connector in a Euro Module panel. We only fit RG6 coaxial cable in New Build properties. We do recommend that developers fit Ethernet but that's at their own cost and expertise.

Regardless of whether its an FTTP or HFC build, the internal wiring is still coaxial.

HTH
Okay, that does make sense! I'll get another look at the place in a couple of weeks, I'll be sure to take pictures this time for those that are curious. I'm hoping it's FTTP, for future proofing.
Old 17-02-2017, 16:25   #11
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

If its the show home then it's likely got every option under the sun. When you come to buy then you'll likely find ethernet is just another added option, most offer it these days. Some for an extortionate amount considering what it actually costs to put in during the build.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 16:27   #12
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

The document that Ben linked shows a VM master socket module, maybe it's that you saw?
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 18:18   #13
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I found this before, but it may as well have been greek to me! Haha.

Okay, that does make sense! I'll get another look at the place in a couple of weeks, I'll be sure to take pictures this time for those that are curious. I'm hoping it's FTTP, for future proofing.

Its not FTTP

Also I made that developers guide

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 23:56   #14
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Heh, I was going to say that but wasn't sure whether you would want people to know or not
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 11:29   #15
Kushan

Quote:
Its not FTTP

Oh cool, guess that's about as authoritative as you can get!