Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Download speed in Hitron Modem Mode

Old 13-02-2017, 18:46   #1
naysan19
Inactive

naysan19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Download speed in Hitron Modem Mode

I just got a new business connection installed on the 200mb down/15mb up package with dynamic IP - I got a black Hitron router. Everything works fine but I noticed when in modem mode I only get around 150mb down. Ping and upload are fine, its just download thats slower that i expected.

In router mode and connected directly to the Hitron router I get around 205mb down. Is the download speed limited by the Draytek 2860 its connected to, modem mode or is there something wrong?
naysan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2017, 18:55   #2
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Download speed in Hitron Modem Mode

are you doing the tests connected via ethernet?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 19:18   #3
naysan19
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
are you doing the tests connected via ethernet?
Yes sorry I should have said, all tests were via Ethernet.
Old 13-02-2017, 20:47   #4
The PIT
Inactive

The PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enough

The 2860 is good for 300mb/s so that shouldn't be an issue.
The PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 01:14   #5
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I have the Hitron based 200 Mb/s business service , but with a block of 5 fixed IP addresses, so am unable to use modem mode. However in this config the Hitron doesn't carry out any NAT so I have used both a DrayteK 2960 & Draytek 2860 and get 202 Mb/s download with both Draytek devices.

You could test the device in Modem mode by connecting a PC to it directly in modem mode as opposed to using the Draytek.

Given that the Draytek shouldn't be a bottleneck I would expect to see the same performance.

Note in this config the PC is directly on the internet with no network based firewall....
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 09:58   #6
naysan19
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
You could test the device in Modem mode by connecting a PC to it directly in modem mode as opposed to using the Draytek.

Given that the Draytek shouldn't be a bottleneck I would expect to see the same performance.
Thanks, I'll try this - I didn't test too many things at the time as I had to head out.
Old 15-02-2017, 14:06   #7
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIT View Post
The 2860 is good for 300mb/s so that shouldn't be an issue.
But you can factually see that he gets full speed on the Hitron in router mode.

The Draytek devices tend to gain lots from firmware updates, so be sure to be on the latest firmware.

Make sure hardware acceleration is on, as per here:

https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-c...-acceleration/

You of course can't use QoS, Traffic Graphs, etc with this on. I'd bet money that you have a feature turned on that is disabling NAT acceleration.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 15:20   #8
naysan19
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Make sure hardware acceleration is on, as per here:

https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-c...-acceleration/

You of course can't use QoS, Traffic Graphs, etc with this on. I'd bet money that you have a feature turned on that is disabling NAT acceleration.
Spot on! As soon as I enabled hardware acceleration, I got the full 200mb down. Many thanks!

Will this break First Priority for VoIP SIP/RTP in QoS?

Last edited by naysan19; 15-02-2017 at 15:28.
Old 15-02-2017, 15:47   #9
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by naysan19 View Post
Will this break First Priority for VoIP SIP/RTP in QoS?
Yes.
Old 15-02-2017, 15:57   #10
naysan19
Inactive

Hmm ok, will have to monitor to see which option will be better - full bandwidth but no VOIP QoS or slighly less bandwidth with VOIP QoS.

Thanks!
Old 15-02-2017, 16:04   #11
rtho782
cf.addict

You can perhaps mitigate by enabling acceleration only for specific hosts, but those hosts are therefore not subject to QoS and can therefore choke out your SIP devices.

Similarly, you can set acceleration only for UDP traffic, but this still risks UDP choking out SIP, as the accelerated traffic bypasses the router's CPU.

You could look to a router that can do 200mbit while still running QoS etc, but this gets expensive. I can tell you a Cisco ASA 5515X can do it, but that's a very expensive option. I route 1GB/sec through NAT with packet inspection and QoS for work with one of these.

I would think that if you rolled your own NAT machine with say, Sophos UTM or PFsense you could hit this sort of throughput with a decent CPU and use QoS etc. When I say decent CPU, any old i5/i7 box should be more than enough, but I wouldn't try using an Atom machine.
Old 15-02-2017, 16:31   #12
naysan19
Inactive

Thanks for the detailed reply, really appreciate it. I think for now I'll just disable acceleration - we only have a handful of users anyway. 150mb down is more than enough.
Old 15-02-2017, 22:43   #13
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Interestingly the latest firmware release notes hint that hardware acceleration might need to be off to get the best performance!

I'd load 3.8.4.3BT for your Draytek 2860, which is the recommendation from Draytek. I get the full 200 Mb/s in this confirm without hardware acceleration turned on. This is with the Hitron in router (non NAT) mode
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 23:45   #14
naysan19
Inactive

Quote:
I'd load 3.8.4.3BT for your Draytek 2860, which is the recommendation from Draytek. I get the full 200 Mb/s in this confirm without hardware acceleration turned on. This is with the Hitron in router (non NAT) mode
Thanks for the tip, I already have 3.8.4.3BT installed. To summarise:

Hitron in modem mode and Draytek with acceleration OFF = 150mb
Hitron in modem mode and Draytek with acceleration ON = 200mb

I can't try in router mode as I only have a dynamic IP and want the Draytek to have the public IP. Unless there is something I'm misunderstanding?
Old 16-02-2017, 09:48   #15
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Interestingly the latest firmware release notes hint that hardware acceleration might need to be off to get the best performance!

I can only assume that the difference here is that he's using more features that load the CPU than you are then.

Without hardware acceleration traffic has to go via the CPU, so if using CPU for other things it will slow down.

You also have 5 IPs, so I assume at least some of your traffic is Non-NAT, which will be less load on it.