Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect?

Old 29-06-2017, 12:55   #46
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: New build with Virgin Media branded ethernet sockets - what to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
As Stephen said earlier,

There should be no need for the technician to have to order them.
Things break
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2017, 16:46   #47
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
So to update on my saga, I spoke to the new builds team today. Apparently Virgin can't service my new house because the cab nearby doesn't have power yet. They're speaking to the power company tomorrow about getting it wired up.

Still, it means I am weeks away
In case anyone's following on this. I spoke to Virgin yesterday, apparently the guy from the power company brought the wrong plans so another meeting needs to be scheduled.

After someone comes back from holiday.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 19:32   #48
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Still, it means I am weeks away
Sounds encouraging. I'd take your "weeks away" in exchange for my "Well, it's anyone's guess, now. If ever."
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 21:02   #49
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
Sounds encouraging. I'd take your "weeks away" in exchange for my "Well, it's anyone's guess, now. If ever."
You mean sometime between Now and Then, don't hold your breath.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 15:16   #50
Mikeferne
Inactive

Mikeferne is an unknown quantity at this point

Beck to the euro modules in the faceplate saga....

So just had a call from VM saying they have spoken to area manager etc. etc. and how its been installed is to VM standard so that's where is stops, complaint closed down. I'm left with an ugly installation. I would be happy if they wired the phone socket in a euro module, which I know are available as I have a BT one in the same faceplate and just drilled a hole in a blanking plate, pushed the cable through and put maybe an in-line isolator. The splitter is just lying on the carpet so why not the isolater?
Mikeferne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 15:55   #51
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Might be worth contacting BBC watchdog? They're kind of on a Virgin Media rampage at the moment.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 17:01   #52
Mikeferne
Inactive

Is there any reason the isolator could go just before the splitter. So the cable could come through the wall on a length of cable, into the isolator and then straight into the "in" of the splitter before splitting off to the tivo and hub?

I just read somewhere that the isolator should be as close to the equipment as it can.
Old 06-07-2017, 19:04   #53
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeferne View Post
Is there any reason the isolator could go just before the splitter. So the cable could come through the wall on a length of cable, into the isolator and then straight into the "in" of the splitter before splitting off to the tivo and hub?

I just read somewhere that the isolator should be as close to the equipment as it can.
That is possible, although leaving it on a floor also wouldnt look nice
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 19:28   #54
Mikeferne
Inactive

Might just get a plastic enclosure or 3d print a custom one to suit. Then I could get the isolater and splitter in 1 neat box.
Old 07-07-2017, 00:36   #55
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

That's Steve's credibility down the drain then when a customer has to resort to making his own enclosure to make good the pigs ear VM install!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 12:41   #56
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Hi Mike

Are you referring to the phone or the coax euro module? We only supply coax euro modules and I can make sure this gets changed over for you if it hasn't been already. We cant terminate a master phone point in a media plate unfortunately and neither can Openreach. Media plates should only be used as extension sockets but this isn't always the case.

If our master phone point has been terminated by the developer in the media plate then there really isn't a way to resolve this currently without taking out the media plate and rewiring everything, this really wouldn't be an option.

The best thing I can suggest for now is hang tight until digital voice launches in your area and then migrate over to that, it will negate the need for a copper master socket as your Hub3 (or new version) will be your new phone socket and the wiring can be removed.

Drop me a line if you need any assistance.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 13:50   #57
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

@weesteve see post 12.
Old 13-07-2017, 14:18   #58
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

The document actually refers to Telco euro modules as extensions, not masters. The Openreach guide specifically states not to deploy master sockets in a media plate either, they still require an NTE5 as we require a master socket for testing.

Old 13-07-2017, 14:52   #59
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
The document actually refers to Telco euro modules as extensions, not masters. The Openreach guide specifically states not to deploy master sockets in a media plate either, they still require an NTE5 as we require a master socket for testing.
My bad it is actually post #18 where there is a photo of the "pigs ear" install.
Old 13-07-2017, 14:54   #60
weesteev
Cable Guru

Well spotted Pip, that passed me by! Yes this just requires a coax euro module, Mike drop me a line with your details and I will get this sorted for you.