Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WebHost Issues Rectified - Can No Longer Access Website On Network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

WebHost Issues Rectified - Can No Longer Access Website On Network

Old 02-04-2017, 16:26   #1
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

Services: ultimate oomph bundle M500
trevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nice
WebHost Issues Rectified - Can No Longer Access Website On Network

Hi,

Not sure this is correct place to post this, and apologies, its a bit wordy.

Earlier today, I had an issue with my webhost service, which is now rectified. However since this has been rectified, I can no longer get to my website whilst on my home/virgin network,either wired or wi-fi. I can access all other websites. My website resolves outside of the home network, ie on mobile/tablet network.

I have done all the usual steps, clear cache/re-boot PC, reboot router all to no avail.

When attempting to go to the website I get a 'Connection Timed Out' response. Virgin search gives me the following:

'http://advancedsearch2.virginmedia.com/main?ParticipantID=jqlc435patgs4w79dx7g33u8otdryt3 5&FailedURI=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.peterboroughuk.weathe r-watch.com%2F&ailureMode=1&Implementation=&AddInTyp e=4&Version=pywr1.0&ClientLocation=uk'

The 'only' thing that changed was my host name and as i say, the site can be accessed fine and dandy outside of my home network.

Any one have any clues?

website is http://www.peterboroughweatherwatch.com and is hosted by 1and1 and i can ftp to my server as well with no problems.

Thanks in anticipation of any responses

regards

TrevP
trevrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2017, 16:32   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: WebHost Issues Rectified - Can No Longer Access Website On Network

No problem accessing from my Virgin Media broadband.
Here is your current site news as proof:

Sunday 2nd April: Issues with webhost from 9:15am today meant no live updates and no daily forecast update. Webhost issues now rectified, however still attempting another related issue,meaning there will be no forecast update today
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 16:37   #3
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

trevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
No problem accessing from my Virgin Media broadband.
Here is your current site news as proof:
Thanks for reply. Bizzare that I cannot get to the site whilst on my home network connection
Old 03-04-2017, 13:54   #4
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrpb View Post
Thanks for reply. Bizzare that I cannot get to the site whilst on my home network connection
Do yourself a favour, open the command line and do "nslookup www.peterboroughweatherwatch.com" without quotes.

Then do the same thing again, but instead do:

"nslookup www.peterboroughweatherwatch.com 8.8.8.8"

Compare both responses, they should be the same. If they're not, you have a DNS issue. At any point did you fiddle with your HOSTS file while trying to resolve it?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 23:52   #5
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Do yourself a favour, open the command line and do "nslookup www.peterboroughweatherwatch.com" without quotes.

Then do the same thing again, but instead do:

"nslookup www.peterboroughweatherwatch.com 8.8.8.8"

Compare both responses, they should be the same. If they're not, you have a DNS issue. At any point did you fiddle with your HOSTS file while trying to resolve it?
Hi Kushan,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I hadn't done anything with my host file. The issue appeared to have rectified itself by Monday morning, but lo and behold a similar issue reared it's ugly head again this morning. But this time even external access was having the same issue, in that www.peterboroughweatherwatch.com could not be reached, yet peterboroughweatherwatch was resolving.

Had a little play on my control panel on my hosting site.....didnt believe I had actually made any changes, but within several minutes...all now appears good.

I hadnt run those commands until afterwards and they both give back the same ip addresses. Whether they were before I sort of tinkered i will never know as i didn't check before.

Well lets hope it continues to play ball.

regards

TrevP
Old 05-04-2017, 13:39   #6
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Glad you got it sorted.

As a rule of thumb, when it comes to issues in IT, it's generally nearly always DNS. And when you're absolutely sure it's not DNS, it's probably still DNS.

Here's a Haiku:

Quote:
It's not DNS

There's no way it's DNS

It was DNS
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 17:58   #7
dbateman2k5
cf.addict

Services: BB: 500 Mbps, Phone: Talk Anytime, TV: MaxIt
dbateman2k5 is on a distinguished roaddbateman2k5 is on a distinguished road

Or it could be that his site's server has firewall'd him, same thing happens to me, but I'm able to login to WHM via mobile 4G and then remove my IP from the server's firewall block list.

If it is this issue, you may not be able to remove yourself from the block list if you're not a reseller/root user of server with access to system's firewall (usually accessed thru WHM).
dbateman2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote