Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rogue One SPOILER thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Rogue One SPOILER thread

Old 17-12-2016, 19:19   #1
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Rogue One SPOILER thread

Thought I'd star a thread for those wanting to discuss the new movie in detail without spoiling it for others.

Would be interested on peoples thoughts on:

1. CGI Tarkin
2. CGI Leia
3. Vader in the recovery tank
4. Vader going on a killing spree
5. Almost everyone dying

I thought CGI Tarkin was amazing. A little obvious at times but a great job in general. Not so much for Leia. Thought she looked as fake as 1984 Arnie in the last Terminator movie. Can't wait for the blu-ray to get a better look at Vader in the recovery tank. The best bit of the movie for me, as a Star Wars fanboy, was Vader going on a killing spree at the end. There was a moment when the screen went dark, and I thought Vader was going to cut through the door, but instead he's was already there. When his lightsaber lit up I got all giddy Anyone else think K-2SO's death was the saddest of all the heroes?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-12-2016, 20:28   #2
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Rogue One SPOILER thread

Tarekin was interesting, 'cos you saw the back of his head and I was htinking "is, that? No, it can't be!" and was pleasently surprised it was

he was v good, but just not quite right, we're very nearly there, maybe becuase we know who it is, i.e. with aliens you don't "think" about is so much.

Agreed Leia was less convincing, but again partially maybe cos we know what she looks likes then and now.

All the Vader bits were good, was nice to see him from his most vulnerable, to viscious

and yes k-s2o was v good, was nice the way he held the fort

and killing every one off I guess had to be done, but was done well.

the only things I didn't like were the James Bond villain esque dialgoe on the comms tower at the end, and I'm in 2 minds about some of the nods to the old films. i.e. part of me liked seeing the guys from the cantina in Star Wars, but some of the references seemed forced, although saying that, I as happy to hear "I've got a bad feeling about this"

I thought it was a solid film, I think I actually enjoyed The Force Awakens more, as it was more of a film, but this was what it was meant to be i.e. a film in the universe.

however, has the trench being put in deliberately as a week point, been done before, or was that new to this film, and just put in to shut up the people who list that as a Star Wars flaw ?
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 00:50   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I thought Tarkin was less convincing than Leia, but pleased to see both.

Its a shame they all died at the end, wasnt really expecting that.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 01:26   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I thought this review put it best..

Quote:
I saw it in the theaters Friday and if I had to sum it up in one sentence - it was Star Wars without the fantasy. I went into this movie thinking that Rogue One was going to be the call sign of the female lead but it wasn't. This was a Star Wars film in which the heroes weren't Jedi Knights, Senators, Princesses or Generals - they were the ordinary grunts who risked (and in some cases lost) their lives for a chance to stop the Empire. Probably the most powerful of the films to date.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 18:45   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I loved almost everything.

When I first saw Tarkin I was Taken aback and it didn't even register it was cgi. Thought it was someone in prosthetics.

As for the team all during at the end. The original would have been very different. The many reshoots were noticable. If you look at the first and second trailers many of the scenes are missing or really different.

It looks like the transmitter and file room were in different building as the scene shot in the London Underground showed Jyn with the plans and K-2SO was still there. There was also a scene in the beach with the full team there with the plans.

Vader in the Bacta tank was interesting but his Bond villain joke was odd. Loved his final scene. Vader has not been that scary and menacing since Empire.

Last edited by Stephen; 18-12-2016 at 21:26.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 20:37   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Won't be that scary and menacing until Empire...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 13:50   #7
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Vader in the Bacta tank was interesting but his Bond villain joke was odd. Loved his final scene.
That was the worst line in an otherwise great film. I really don't know how that survived edits, preview screenings etc. It was noticeably bad and took me right out of the film for a moment, since when did Vader do puns?

Quote:
As for the team all during at the end. The original would have been very different. The many reshoots were noticable. If you look at the first and second trailers many of the scenes are missing or really different.
I wonder if they survived in some of the reshoots? It's a shame. I would have loved to see these characters again. Maybe some survived and Disney wanted to ensure that this was a single-shot filmed and reshot it to kill them off?

That said I suspected they would all die as we already knew this was a one-off story, that many died and none of these characters were in the universe of the latter films.

I like the way they've explained away the biggest plothole in a New Hope, i.e how the Death Star has such a flaw.

I think my favorite part was so clearly linking the end of this film to A New Hope.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 15:08   #8
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The tie up with ANH was so well done.

I actually watched it again on saturday night and so much makes a lot more sense now.

The opening crawl really is more epic as well. The fact the it takes place about 15 mins after Rogue One ends is great.
Old 24-12-2016, 13:29   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Saw it last night. Totally blown away.

CGI Tarkin was brilliant. If you didn't know Peter Cushing could only be there by CGI I don't believe you'd suspect it for a second. For that reason CGI Leia was surprising, because she was notably not as good. Still, she was only on screen for about 5 seconds so no harm done.

I haven't followed the production of the film in any great detail so I wasn't disappointed by any of the altered/missing scenes. I had no preconceptions or prior expectations. Taking the film on that basis, I believe it formed a consistent, well-edited whole.

I think there were a few too many nods to the original. I found this a little jarring after a while. Perhaps this is because I've watched Star Wars (1977) far too many times so things that are meant to be subtle references stand out a mile for me. Even so, it was nice to see the man who has the death sentence on 12 systems, and the dude whose mouth looks like an enormous pair of bum cheeks.

At the end, I found the "everybody dies" approach extraordinarily powerful. Essentially what this film does is give a backstory to a bunch of redshirts. It acknowledges that there are more heroes in a war than the few we are normally encouraged to think of as the main characters, and many of them don't live to see the end of the story. I found Jin's speech to the troops aboard Rogue One to be very powerful. The whole set-up, from costume design onwards, evoked a scene from one of those World War 2 impossible mission films, with a squad of battered GIs about to rush headlong into certain death.

And the ending ... amazing. Truly spectacular. By the last 5 minutes you're watching a scene that could easily have been cut from Star Wars. What I really want to do now is sit down and watch Rogue One and Star Wars back to back.

I left the cinema last night an extremely happy bunny indeed.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 20:59   #10
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

So did I today...until I heard about Carrie.

As to the film, I found it utterly spot-on. Everything you'd expect in a Star Wars movie, but (heresy!) told in a better way even than the original film. The fact that even the protagonist didn't escape was especially poignant, though I half expected it - after all, the facility was heavily defended...and of course the Death Star was en route. Then again, that's consistent with the spirit of the Rebellion: it didn't matter if they didn't get out, as long as the plans did. Even in death, they knew they'd won.

It might be redaction on a grand scale, but now the existence of the design flaw makes sense. There's a novel, Death Star, in which the thermal exhaust port was nearly omitted because one of the station architects decided it was redundant - but then the Wookiee engineer who was told to not build it was taken ill, and he didn't get a chance to pass on the instruction not to build the thing...so it got built.

But the film explanation was even better.

I loved the music; Michael Giacchino brought as much love and respect to the score as he did to The Incredibles, echoing John Williams beautifully without copying him. Until the credits, I thought it was John's. Here's hoping Michael scores Episodes VIII and IX (if John doesn't).

Firefly fans were/are ecstatic over Alan Tudyk's performance, and rightly so - K2-SO was a brilliant creation!

Star Destroyers colliding - oh, yes!!!

Darth Vader's appearance on the Rebel cruiser was just electrifying!

All in all, I reckon 10.6/10 - definitely one for the Blu-Ray collection!

Last edited by Anonymouse; 27-12-2016 at 21:09.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 23:01   #11
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Saw it last night. Totally blown away.

CGI Tarkin was brilliant. If you didn't know Peter Cushing could only be there by CGI I don't believe you'd suspect it for a second.
It's hard to know if I would feel the same without knowing he was dead but I thought it was a noticeable. They did a good job but some of his movements were slightly off and something unrealistic about the way his face acted.

Quote:
I haven't followed the production of the film in any great detail so I wasn't disappointed by any of the altered/missing scenes. I had no preconceptions or prior expectations. Taking the film on that basis, I believe it formed a consistent, well-edited whole.
It would be interesting to see the alternative cut. There was rumours Disney were unhappy with the cut because it risked created a rival storyline/saga within the same universe and they wanted a one-shot movie to avoid clashing with the Skywalker films and to act as a concept film going forward. This rumour would suggest they didn't all die in the original cut and we do know trailers show Jyn running on the beech with the death star plans.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote