Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Laser Eye Surgery - Anyone had it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Laser Eye Surgery - Anyone had it?

Old 16-04-2012, 18:16   #16
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Laser Eye Surgery - Anyone had it?

My sister had it done by a very well known company and was well and truly ripped off - the price they initially quoted being only half of what she eventually had to pay (and NO the original quote wasn't for just one eye! )
Watchdog did a programme about laser eye surgery clinics a while ago and their conclusions were rather worrying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...l_pricing.html

A mate of mine was considering having it done but IIRC they explained that correcting his vision for reading etc. would then require him to wear glasses for golf and the other sports he loves which he was not prepared to accept. He decided to stick to glasses.

I've recently succumbed to 1.5x reading glasses and yes it can be a pain, but I'd only resort to laser surgery if things were really bad.

Not being patronising but don't rush into anything - the more advice you get before deciding to go ahead, the better.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2012, 18:40   #17
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus View Post
I have considered having my eyes done but I always come to the same conclusion - You only get one pair of eyes, if they screw it up you are kind of, well screwed.
This is it for me as well. I could well benefit from it, but the convenience just doesn't outweigh the severity of the consequences if things were to go wrong. Even if the chances of things going wrong are tiny...
Old 16-04-2012, 20:21   #18
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
So how long after the op did your eyesight improve?
Following day I seem to remember they were better, then the gradually get slightly better over next couple of months
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 00:22   #19
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
This is it for me as well. I could well benefit from it, but the convenience just doesn't outweigh the severity of the consequences if things were to go wrong. Even if the chances of things going wrong are tiny...
From what I have seen so far no one has gone blind from it. The most common of the complications are dry eyes requiring longer use of eye drops or it's unsuccessful and the sight doesn't improve...
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 00:37   #20
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
From what I have seen so far no one has gone blind from it. The most common of the complications are dry eyes requiring longer use of eye drops or it's unsuccessful and the sight doesn't improve...
I suppose so. I've never actually looked into it. All I'm saying is that it's not for me. That's probably just me being squeamish, but I couldn't unless there was an actual need for it.

Plus, my glasses add to my intelligent distinguished look.

Unfortunately, I'm moving into varifocal territory, where I need my glasses on to watch Telly, and off to read the labels on the remote...

Perhaps I should consider laser surgery after all...
Old 17-04-2012, 10:16   #21
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Yeah. It is something that makes me nervous...
Old 17-04-2012, 11:02   #22
robolots
Inactive

robolots is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty much straight away-although there was a bit of irritation/light sensitivity straight after, but this was gone within a few hours
robolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 13:26   #23
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Unfortunately, I'm moving into varifocal territory, where I need my glasses on to watch Telly, and off to read the labels on the remote...
I've just gone into that territory.
Old 17-04-2012, 13:43   #24
metmanuk
Inactive

metmanuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Had Lasik done by Ultralase in 2001. They have been doing that type of surgery the longest. My surgeon did a 'halfway job' so that my long sight is not perfect and neither is my near sight. However, I use to wear varifocals (horible things) and after the op I did not need to at all, even for computer work. However, although I do not need glasses for driving, I have got distance glasses for night time driving - my optician said it would be more comfortable. Also, I find my eyes take a time to change focus from far to near (eg its difficult reading a menu after driving a distance to a restaurant). I also have reading glasses for low light levels.

Myopia (needing to wear reading glasses) is an age thing which is caused by the eye muscles weakening as you get older so, to my knowledge, laser surgery will not cure it yet although I believe they are working on it.

Just remember a few things; Its surgery and is therefore NOT 100% predictable and that applies to EACH eye. You get lots of pains and discomfort in your eyes but generally your brain filters them out. For the few weeks before surgery, try to remember every single pain or uncomfortable feeling you have in your eyes. Then, after surgery, you will find there is little difference - I think not doing this is why a number of people report problems.

Its been eleven years a well worth the £2k. I did lots of research beforehand. Which? did an article and found no real problems. Yes, there is a risk, but its very very small - go for it!

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I hated having to sit upright to watch TV...... and forever trying to get glasses clean ..... and walking in the rain .....
metmanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 13:53   #25
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Also consider that if they did mess up you could end up like me

I had laser work done (but not the type being discussed here) to try to save my sight.

I must admit I'd rather put up with glasses than the off chance of a mistake being made.

You can always get new glasses / contact lenses - not new eye balls.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 14:21   #26
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Also consider that if they did mess up you could end up like me
It is a fear I have had for a long time that something might go wrong but the risk seems so small. There doesn't appear to be a credible report of someone losing their sight as a result of the operation. I guess life is about measuring risk, This morning when I drove to the station I was probably far more at risk than I will be in the surgery.

I will continue to think about it, it is something I am taking seriously.
Old 20-04-2012, 22:32   #27
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I'm not quite there yet but I've found the more you use glasses, the more you need them. My eyes would have to get a whole lot worse before I'd considered laser surgery, however.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 23:22   #28
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I'm not quite there yet but I've found the more you use glasses, the more you need them. My eyes would have to get a whole lot worse before I'd considered laser surgery, however.
I can't read anything more than a few yards in front of me without glasses
Old 20-04-2012, 23:41   #29
danielf
cf.mega poser

My problem these days is that I'm near sighted, and my glasses now over-correct at short distances. I still need them to watch TV (3 yards away), but I need them off to read a computer screen, or the labels on remote controls. I find that I'm just not wearing them in the house anymore (except for watching tv). I suppose I'm starting to accept that the world is kind of blurred when more than a few yards away.

Where it becomes awkward is in situations where I'm talking to a person who's 3-4 yards away. It's not quite comfortable with my glasses on, but I can't quite judge facial expressions without them, so it's on-off, off-on...

I suppose I ought to have my eyes checked again. It's been 3 years since my last examination.
Old 21-04-2012, 22:20   #30
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by metmanuk View Post
Myopia (needing to wear reading glasses) is an age thing which is caused by the eye muscles weakening as you get older .....
You are thinking of hyperopia. Myopia is nearsightedness, so you need glasses not for reading but for seeing things thats are farther away. It can start at any age.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote