Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin ADSL Broadband Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VirginMedia again...
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 22:27   #1
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all
Exclamation VirginMedia again...

Ok,

It's friday night, and im unable to connect to the internet eventually i am after solving the problem myself.

Got 10mbit internet, 1 thing im not known to do is boast about how great VirginMedia is because it just certinely isn't and also including the fact that i don't boast about how great VirginMedia by showing off what packages i have either, it seems most people on this forum only have that aim in life.

Anyway getting to the point, im unable to connect to the VirginMedia network, so i call the foreign call-centre VirginMedia have stupidly created and I go through all the options, to get through to some really lazy, foreign impolite, self arrogant employee, who i threat to complain about if he doesn't hurry up answering me. All of a sudden he says "Im going to test your cable modem from our end to see if there are any defects etc" i get put on hold, then the call gets transfered secretely without any sound, or significant notice to somebody else who seemed to be well spoken and more on the ball, but there all the same in my eyes **regardless of what anybody else thinks.

Eventually i get my cable modem tested i guess for defects and or any other problems that there may be, and im told there is intermitent packets (explains why my connection keeps dropping) and a MAC address clash on the network, i mean come on Virgin!! This is a poor service your offering!!

In the end after a cable modem test being performed ,my cable modem has been rebooted 104 times (apparently this effects my cable modem connectivity amongst other things) and a engineer will need to be booked (my idea not the guy at the other end) to come and most probably check the infrastucture in my house i guess (probably change the cable modem).

VirginMedia your service is poor! If this doesn't get sorted including the factor with the silly, let's feel sorry for Richard Branson letter concerning the Sky channels being removed then im going to leave VirginMedia..

PLEASE NOTE: I do not want any VirginMedia employees, who i know reside on this forum to start replying, thinking there 2 cuts about everyone else when to be honest **guess what your not!**.

BUT: Please feel free to reply with simular experiences

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2007, 22:38   #2
kingbuxton
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV/Tinternet/Phone (Home)
kingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quads
Re: VirginMedia again...

If you have had a working connection upto this issue appearing........

Switch the PC off. Unplug your Cable Modem. Unplug your Router if you have one. Leave it for about 30 seconds.

OK. Switch the Modem back on. Let it do it's thing, give it 30 seconds to make sure it is ready. If you have a Router, switch that on and give it 30 seconds to set itself. Then boot your PC.

If you have no connection then it may well be a faulty Modem. I assume you haven't changed anything on your PC?!

Not sure about the MAC address clashing on the network, is that possible, there should be enough combinations to make sure no two connections use the same vlaue. I could be wrong, but that seems unlikely.

If it is a faulty Modem, then it's unfortunate on you, sh*t happens, Virgin don't make the modem so it's a bit unfair taking out on VM. I know how pis*ed of you are, I have had issues like this in the past, and it is a pain in the butt. Always remember that jumping ship to Sky isn't a guarenteed fix for this type of problem. They can all be as bad as each other.

Take a deep breath, getting irate will make you feel worse.
Old 06-04-2007, 23:14   #3
nicke261192
Inactive

Services: 1 V+ Box, 1 V Box, XL TV, L Broadband, L Phone, Sony Erricson C902 Vodafone Contract
nicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to nicke261192

I often find that if my broadband is not working it is my router and i have to do a hard reset
Old 06-04-2007, 23:55   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

hmm, you have a fault, you call the faults, they diagnose and agree you have a fault and yet your complaining that they have to send an engineer. Most people complain because they won't send someone to fix a problem
Old 07-04-2007, 00:21   #5
valor
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP
valor is on a distinguished roadvalor is on a distinguished road

hmm ..2.. Most people complain BCos they are natural moaners..Cant help it! got to moan! Bcos if they cant find a moan for 2day..theyll be up all night thinkin of a moan for tommorow.How KIN sad..
Old 07-04-2007, 01:06   #6
kingbuxton
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV/Tinternet/Phone (Home)
kingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quadskingbuxton has a fine set of Quads

TBH I don't think NTL/VM are poor - I have never had any issues bar maybe once - and although the guy on the phone was a bit lost something he said made me try something and I got the issue sorted. If the modem is faulty it is more a case of crap mass manufacture of electronics, and not VM. Don't ring VM and start giving the poro sod on the other end grief, I have worked is Tech Support, trust me, your hands are tied and there is nothing you can do. My adivice is try what I posted above. If that doesn't work ring them and ask for a new Modem, KEEP CALM. If they are anything like I was when I was on support, if yu kick off screaming bloody murder then you are unlikley to get anyone to help you, it is the decent callers that get you running round out of your way to help. Take that from someone that has done it.

P.S Bad Gramma, Bad Spelling, Easter Weekend and a bit drunk. Sorry.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:40   #7
Pimmo2000
Inactive

Pimmo2000 is on a distinguished roadPimmo2000 is on a distinguished road

I do have to deal with the "other" call centers and they are crap, in all fairness it does tend to be the language barrier though.

Anyway...

"Eventually i get my cable modem tested i guess for defects and or any other problems that there may be, and im told there is intermitent packets (explains why my connection keeps dropping) and a MAC address clash on the network, i mean come on Virgin!! This is a poor service your offering!!"

The way our connection works is through using your devices MAC address so it there is an issue with a MAC its because you bought a cheap ass computer and the person who made it, made more than one the same.. like two cars with the same reg

Just search google for MAC spoofing and your good
Old 09-04-2007, 12:50   #8
chrome
Inactive

Services: Broardband XL BB Tv XL V+ M Phone
chrome is on a distinguished roadchrome is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to chrome

same here, my modem ntl120 has been loosing conection and rebooting itself ever since upgrading to 10meg. no problems with 4 megs.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:53   #9
anduin
Inactive

Services: Sky+ HD, 100mb VM cable, Virgin Phoneline
anduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmo2000 View Post

The way our connection works is through using your devices MAC address so it there is an issue with a MAC its because you bought a cheap ass computer and the person who made it, made more than one the same.. like two cars with the same reg
Give over - i'd say either customer services were giving yet another random nonesense excuse .. or .. Someone has a cloned modem using his modems mac address.

Trying to make out that the person who built his pc would deliberately change the mac address of his network card to match another he has built is stupid. System builders dont choose mac addresses - they come preset from the manufacturer.

Thank god you are an 'ex' telewest support employee.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:58   #10
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by valor View Post
hmm ..2.. Most people complain BCos they are natural moaners..Cant help it! got to moan! Bcos if they cant find a moan for 2day..theyll be up all night thinkin of a moan for tommorow.How KIN sad..
Agreed

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by anduin View Post
Give over - i'd say either customer services were giving yet another random nonesense excuse .. or .. Someone has a cloned modem using his modems mac address.

Trying to make out that the person who built his pc would deliberately change the mac address of his network card to match another he has built is stupid. System builders dont choose mac addresses - they come preset from the manufacturer.

Thank god you are an 'ex' telewest support employee.
You can change the mac on a pc network card. I have done it to change my ip when i needed to. I agree it would not be a pc manufacturer but you can do it.

See your still full of crap and still have a chip on your shoulder

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/n...dressing_2.htm

Old 09-04-2007, 12:59   #11
zing_deleted

I always moan mainly cuz im surrounded by brainless morons now that is not an observation or relevant to anyone on this forum its just me

Old 09-04-2007, 13:05   #12
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
I always moan mainly cuz im surrounded by brainless morons now that is not an observation or relevant to anyone on this forum its just me
I know how you feel Zing

Old 09-04-2007, 13:09   #13
anduin
Inactive

Services: Sky+ HD, 100mb VM cable, Virgin Phoneline
anduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about themanduin has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
Agreed

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

You can change the mac on a pc network card. I have done it to change my ip when i needed to. I agree it would not be a pc manufacturer but you can do it.
You'll see where i said about changing the MAC Bill in my original post so you dont need to try and educate me on MAC addressing thanks, You will also see where above you agree the pc manufacturer wouldn't do it. You will also no doubt agree that a system builder wouldn't deliberately clone MACs ( becouse there is no financial gain )

So i suggest Billio that you are the one with the chip on his shoulder.
Old 09-04-2007, 13:13   #14
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by anduin View Post

Billio

Old 09-04-2007, 13:26   #15
pachelbel

Services: VM DTV + Phone + 2M BB now upgraded to FFFFFast 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
You must have been out in the sun yesterday.Drink plenty of fluids.

Closed Thread