Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New to Virgin TV -Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New to Virgin TV -Question

Old 22-01-2017, 12:36   #1
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
New to Virgin TV -Question

Trying to resolve a few questions as I have just changed to Virgin V6 from Sky.

1. Is it possible to change the BBC/ITV default region? (We always had South East regional news, V6 gives us London)

2. I can now watch upstairs recordings on downstairs to - however it is a bit slow to start playing showing a black screen in the meantime, is this normal?

3. I am asked for a PIN number when trying to watch sports recordings before 10pm - rather strange when recording was done mid-afternoon - how can I stop this happening?

4. I recall that I can copy recordings from the V6 to my iPad so I can watch them away from the house. - is this actually possible?

5. My downstairs V6 frequently starts up with a green screen on Home and a green 'wash' on live TV and recordings (apparently a previous known problem on old TiVo boxes) I resolve this by re-booting but obviously mess up anything recording. An engineer told me this could be a hdmi cable problem - before a get a new one is this correct?

6. Is it possible to set up recordings on my V6 boxes remotely? (I.e. If I am on holiday can I log into virgin website select programmes I want to record and send instructions to the V6 to do that recording)

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Last edited by Raider999; 22-01-2017 at 13:08.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2017, 17:11   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New to Virgin TV -Question

1. No, but you may have an alternate ITV region in the 8xx range.
2. It can sometimes happen, as I've also had that, but for me it's not that often.
3. You can turn this off in Parental Controls. Just be aware that you can't turn it off for recording from the Sky Cinema channels
4. Yes. See here
5. It may help, but I believe it's a know issue at the moment that I believe is being worked on to stop this happening
6. Yes, via the TV Anywhere apps and website, but you'll need to make sure you leave your Hub on as well as the V6 box itself.
Old 22-01-2017, 17:19   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New to Virgin TV -Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
1. Is it possible to change the BBC/ITV default region? (We always had South East regional news, V6 gives us London)
You can't change the default, but some areas around London (e.g Luton and Guildford) have alternative versions in the 860's and 871's.

Quote:
2. I can now watch upstairs recordings on downstairs to - however it is a bit slow to start playing showing a black screen in the meantime, is this normal?
Depends how long it is black for. It does need to buffer some data before it can start playing. Perhaps one or both of your connections are a bit slow - how are they connected?

Quote:
3. I am asked for a PIN number when trying to watch sports recordings before 10pm - rather strange when recording was done mid-afternoon - how can I stop this happening?
Go into Help &Settings -> Parental Controls and make sure "Request a PIN to Watch Recordings" is set to off. That said, there is currently a fault where some programmes don't have any rating info, and you will get a PIN request for these. That's under investigation. (What channel & programme is it happening for?)

Quote:
5. My downstairs V6 frequently starts up with a green screen on Home and a green 'wash' on live TV and recordings (apparently a previous known problem on old TiVo boxes) I resolve this by re-booting but obviously mess up anything recording. An engineer told me this could be a hdmi cable problem - before a get a new one is this correct?
Unlikely to be the HDMI cable. It's probably a compatibility problem with your TV. Check that the TV firmware is up to date.

Incidentally, when it happens a quicker fix may be to unplug and reconnect the HDMI lead.

Quote:
6. Is it possible to set up recordings on my V6 boxes remotely? (I.e. If I am on holiday can I log into virgin website select programmes I want to record and send instructions to the V6 to do that recording)
Yes, go to http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tv-listings/. As long as you're logged in, you can set recordings. Or do it from the TV Anywhere app.

Last edited by spiderplant; 22-01-2017 at 17:22.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote