Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How does the Virgin Media network work?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

How does the Virgin Media network work?

Old 16-01-2017, 23:10   #1
therock247uk
MVP

therock247uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How does the Virgin Media network work?

Just wondering how is it my connection can be down but someone around the corner from me or even a few doors down my road can be working? Always wondered this I would of thought all would be connected to the same exchange box (the green box) but it seems not?
therock247uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2017, 23:42   #2
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: How does the Virgin Media network work?

Different areas have different network architecture. The big green cabinets normally contain a fibre node. If that fails then yes, the whole nodal area would be off. Fed from that will be various amplifiers, so if an amp fails it would only take down a proportion of customers. More localised faults often occur such as damaged cables faulty connectors etc. In an underground network water ingress into rf taps causing the tap to fail does happen as well.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 13:35   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Most of their network appears to work by Magic.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 15:23   #4
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Wonder if there's a way to find out what the network is like, before moving to an area and getting services?...
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 19:44   #5
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

It's difficult to tell but...

If the floor covers are metal with rounded corners it will be HFC. If it's been there for a while but has green or gray boxes then it's probably HFC.

If it has grey cabinets that are new-ish looking and there is no chamber cover on the floor in front of the smaller grey boxes then it is probably FTTP, otherwise it is probably HFC.

The TV works by sending the whole downstream band via an intensity modulated laser at 1550nm and there is a return path (which I think is 1610nm). The channels are QAM-16 (256?) modulated. The nodal cabinets use the intensity of the laser beam to generate an electrical signal which falls within the normal RF band for transmitting the channels. That is then sent down / received from the coaxial cables. There are a few amplifiers chained from each node which has several taps on it. Depending on the port used on the amplifier, some taps may have a higher db output than others and are for longer cable runs or otherwise require attenuation at the customer premises.

The network connection runs over bonded DOCSIS channels which are delivered via the QAM modulators. In the headend (or maybe even the nodes) they are split back into a cable modem termination system.

That's more or less all I know (or can remember from the 90s) really. Someone who actually works for the company could probably tell you more than that I'm sure.

You wouldn't be able to find out how oversubscribed the area is without trying it, I think.

Last edited by Onramp; 17-01-2017 at 19:52.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 20:54   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Wonder if there's a way to find out what the network is like, before moving to an area and getting services?...
Try using is tool

http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_...6&type=terrain
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 10:30   #7
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Cheers. There's no data for where I'm moving to though, I'll have to get some added when I move there
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 01:27   #8
therock247uk
MVP

Wonder if my town is over subscribed only had issues since our town started building like 300+ houses everywhere.
Old 19-01-2017, 03:22   #9
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Just like that Just like that..... Thats my Tommy Cooper impression by the way.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 04:43   #10
therock247uk
MVP

lol