Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin 200 internet, currently getting 60

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin 200 internet, currently getting 60

Old 06-01-2017, 10:11   #16
par42
Inactive

Services: Dual Sky+HD Virgin Phone 70Mb Broadband FreeView & FreeSat
par42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin 200 internet, currently getting 60

Be thankful - I am paying for 70mb and getting between 4Mb and 6mb in the evenings...
par42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2017, 20:36   #17
ps2mint
Inactive

Services: Virgin media full house and Vivid 200
ps2mint is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I can't complain then looking at the experience of others on this thread. I'm going to see what the power levels are and may take the 6db acttuator off to if that makes a difference.
ps2mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:10   #18
Glesga
Inactive

Glesga is an unknown quantity at this point

Try running a speedtest at this time of night. Using a 3rd party website which gains a load of traffic at peaktime will not show a true reflection.

Consider downgrading. 200mb is more for multi device house.
Glesga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:43   #19
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2mint View Post
Yes, that's the one I am using
could try downloading a large file for sustained time to give better idea, newsgroups are a good bet to do that - that's if you use them. find that speedtest can be hit/miss depending on time/server etc.
Down the Pub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 14:54   #20
lightboy
Inactive

Services: Sky HD World Virgin 150MB
lightboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine wasnmt great last year but now amazing.
lightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 20:19   #21
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Seems bizarre strategy by virgin media. People are getting furious over the lack of service. Ive written to my MP already.

Yet they're continuing increasing peoples speeds in areas where the people were already getting their subscribed speeds? It seems one of the most daftest strategies ever. Increase the speed of the people who are already getting their subscribed speed. Stubbornly ignoring areas which are getting 4mbps when paying for 150mbps
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 21:24   #22
pgnl
Inactive

Services: VM BB (Since Jan 2001) Hub 3.0/Modem Mode, WDTV, Roku, FireTV, Apple TV 4
pgnl is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgnl View Post
I am on 100mb/s and currently get around 25 mb/s. I ran the test on the VM site and it failed a few times advising me to calll them so I rang up. I was told that there was a problem in my area that was due to be fixed in 10 days. I didn't believe him to be honest, I think I was being fobbed off. He tried to placate me by sending me an Ethernet cable! Hilarious..

My area still hasn't gone through the speed upgrades. The message on my account now says Feb 2017. This message has previously shown Oct 15, Nov 15, Dec 15 then Feb to Apr 16 then Feb to Apr 17. I am really not holding my breath. When the speed upgrades were announced we were told that they would be completed in 3 months much faster than previously. But then what is the point if they can't supply the original promised speed?

I have a £10 pm discount on my BB only account, glad I am not paying full price for this. VM has defo gone downhill in the last 18 months, well in my area anyway (North Worcestershire). I feel yet another complaint letter coming on....

Patrick
An update, back home today and no internet. I tried connecting directly to the router (I use modem mode and my own router), nothing. I checked the area status and they said it would be fixed by 18:05.

Nothing again this morning, but VM said it had been fixed. Anyway after much fiddling around and finally resetting my ASUS router all up and running. Speed test shows 100mb/s - finally.

We'll see if next months upgrade finally goes ahead.

Cheers

Patrick
pgnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 12:52   #23
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Seems bizarre strategy by virgin media. People are getting furious over the lack of service. Ive written to my MP already.

Yet they're continuing increasing peoples speeds in areas where the people were already getting their subscribed speeds? It seems one of the most daftest strategies ever. Increase the speed of the people who are already getting their subscribed speed. Stubbornly ignoring areas which are getting 4mbps when paying for 150mbps
it makes no sense to me to go and cable areas which literally don't have it while multiple areas are over subscribed.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 13:42   #24
par42
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
it makes no sense to me to go and cable areas which literally don't have it while multiple areas are over subscribed.
That is because you don't want to maximise your profit with the minimal outlay....
Old 16-01-2017, 22:44   #25
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by par42 View Post
That is because you don't want to maximise your profit with the minimal outlay....
and ****ing off actual customers who disconnect and then they have to spend money trying to win them back, where does that fit into the strategy?
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 23:25   #26
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
and ****ing off actual customers who disconnect and then they have to spend money trying to win them back, where does that fit into the strategy?
Most customers put up with it
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 10:00   #27
par42
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Most customers put up with it
Most Customers don't even know they have a problem and just assume the "internet is slow tonight". It is a small percentage who actually check and realise what is going on, a smaller percentage complain, and an even smaller percentage can be bothered to actually move due to the hassle of changing over all of their ids and account names....

Meanwhile even more people join than leave as they are convinced by the advertising hype of needing a 100Mb connection to watch a streamed movie that only uses 2Mb ....
Old 17-01-2017, 18:01   #28
Eeeps
cf.addict

Eeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by par42 View Post
Most Customers don't even know they have a problem and just assume the "internet is slow tonight".
That's the best type of customer from the VM perspective.
Eeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 13:56   #29
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgnl View Post
An update, back home today and no internet. I tried connecting directly to the router (I use modem mode and my own router), nothing. I checked the area status and they said it would be fixed by 18:05.

Nothing again this morning, but VM said it had been fixed. Anyway after much fiddling around and finally resetting my ASUS router all up and running. Speed test shows 100mb/s - finally.

We'll see if next months upgrade finally goes ahead.

Cheers

Patrick
So watch out there, when you swap devices from the hub when it's in modem mode, you MUST completely power off the hub before disconnecting/reconnecting a different device. Sounds like you unplugged your asus to plug something into the hub and possibly didn't reboot - this will never work, the hub sort of "locks on" to whatever's plugged into it and won't try and talk to a different device until it's rebooted. Even if there was a fault, "hot swapping" back and forth can leave you in a sort of broken state until you do a full reboot.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote