Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 17-11-2016, 17:27   #1216
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
You don't need a legal advisor lol, that is what "cooling off" periods are for
They are designed to give you time to pull out without penalty if you feel the service isn't right for you.

What something as an apology would you accept? Not sure they will give you anything considering you have a V6 box before launch
Yes,that would be too easy though and wouldn't allow a chance to hijack another thread
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2016, 17:28   #1217
Mr Banana

Quote:
They are designed to give you time to pull out without penalty if you feel the service isn't right for you.

What something as an apology would you accept? Not sure they will give you anything considering you have a V6 box before launch, mate :-)
And I suspect that's why the Tech wasn't trained as most of the V6's have gone into 2 areas, according to other posts I have seen.
Old 17-11-2016, 17:34   #1218
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Too slow , unless the new update has worked!

Exactly, they really don't do themselves any favours do they.

Well, over an hour has passed and no engineer phone call or visit as promised.

I'll ring them one more time. If it's not sorted to my satisfaction, i'll be looking for some answers and something by way of an apology.

If not, i'll cancel (as per my legal advisor I informed them that I would not be entering into a new contract until I was fully happy with its performance, which VM have accepted).

After my experience today, i'd urge others to do the same
Well main thing is to keep yourself totally in the right is this situation, but if you haven't signed a new contract for v6 yet, what about the contract before v6 arrives
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 17:39   #1219
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

What something as an apology would you accept? Not sure they will give you anything considering you have a V6 box before launch, mate :-)
I get legal advice free through work, so it doesn't cost me anything

I'm not a new customer, so was told that a cooling off period didn't apply and that a new one year contract would be automatically activated, so we put this proviso into the contractual agreement.

Update:

Nobody called or rang me back, so I called them again.

The story has now changed to "it's a national fault, some activations are working and others not". Because of this, the V6 thinks that I still have my old TiVo, so won't allow me access.

A very pleasant technical manager then called me back to apologise. He said that they were trying again and that they will call tomorrow to double check if it's worked.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 17:44   #1220
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I don't think it's too much to ask that staff are trained in the products that they are dealing with and that calls are returned when promised.
Haven't you got this V6 box before the official roll-out has begun though?
If you'd waited until they are officially available, the tech would probably have had some training
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 17:47   #1221
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Well main thing is to keep yourself totally in the right is this situation, but if you haven't signed a new contract for v6 yet, what about the contract before v6 arrives
Never thought of that! Thanks for pointing that out, I guess that legally they could bring back my old TiVo and hold me to the old contract until next March.

All being well it will soon be sorted and I can have a play. I'm happy to answer any questions or provide any information, but not if people believe that this is "hijacking the thread".

Edit: Yay! It's now working as a type, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
Haven't you got this V6 box before the official roll-out has begun though?
If you'd waited until they are officially available, the tech would probably have had some training
Fair point.
Old 17-11-2016, 18:34   #1222
dwarfofpoison
cf.addict

dwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Never thought of that! Thanks for pointing that out, I guess that legally they could bring back my old TiVo and hold me to the old contract until next March.

All being well it will soon be sorted and I can have a play. I'm happy to answer any questions or provide any information, but not if people believe that this is "hijacking the thread".

Edit: Yay! It's now working as a type, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

Fair point.
What does "working as a type" mean?
dwarfofpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 18:37   #1223
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
What does "working as a type" mean?
The missing pay channels started working as I was typing the post and the message overlaid on the FTA channels disappeared
Old 17-11-2016, 19:28   #1224
TAZMANUK
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt Package, V6, 1 gig bb, WiFi max 2 pods, maxit TV, anytime chatter
TAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TAZMANUK

If they did a proper trial maybe these issues would have been addressed #justsaying
TAZMANUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 19:34   #1225
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZMANUK View Post
If they did a proper trial maybe these issues would have been addressed #justsaying
Name me a product what's launched without one single issue #justsaying
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 19:38   #1226
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Name me a product what's launched without one single issue #justsaying
Well l cannot remember one although at my age the memory is not so good any more.
Old 17-11-2016, 19:43   #1227
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZMANUK View Post
I kind of agree with that and that is exactly what the old cableco did. But...

There is a pool of people out there (ie, here) who are willingly to test things. The problem is, if you want to keep something secret, how do you do that with customers? If it's employees, you can make them sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) but you can't do that with customers, or if you did, how would it be enforced?

What has been very clear to me this time round is the lack of leaks surrounding this new box. I've gotten titbits of info here and there over the months, but its been as tight as I have ever known it and that is clearly what VM wanted.

I understand that the testing by the employees finished about a month ago, so the box has at least been "out there" and tested by some. The only thing is, employees will never want to rock the boat too much, so I wonder how reliable employee testing of equipment/software really is.

PS: Richard, glad its all worked out for you
Old 17-11-2016, 19:49   #1228
TAZMANUK
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt Package, V6, 1 gig bb, WiFi max 2 pods, maxit TV, anytime chatter
TAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TAZMANUK

Past hardware has had issues but also had customer testing the v6 has had "in house only" to my knowledge.
TAZMANUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 20:01   #1229
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I'm sure Richard and any other lucky V6 customer who frequents this forum will be more than happy to answer questions.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 20:41   #1230
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I kind of agree with that and that is exactly what the old cableco did. But...

There is a pool of people out there (ie, here) who are willingly to test things. The problem is, if you want to keep something secret, how do you do that with customers? If it's employees, you can make them sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) but you can't do that with customers, or if you did, how would it be enforced?

What has been very clear to me this time round is the lack of leaks surrounding this new box. I've gotten titbits of info here and there over the months, but its been as tight as I have ever known it and that is clearly what VM wanted.

I understand that the testing by the employees finished about a month ago, so the box has at least been "out there" and tested by some. The only thing is, employees will never want to rock the boat too much, so I wonder how reliable employee testing of equipment/software really is.

PS: Richard, glad its all worked out for you
Many thanks Horizon.

The technical manager called me back to check all was well (which it is).

I asked him if it would allow me to stream like the Sky Q box. He said that, as the box is so new, this hasn't been activated yet.

However, it will be in the future and that there "were lots more features in the pipeline" and that "it will be amazing what the box will be able to do once it's fully utilised".

A NDA was never mentioned to myself, but he did say that thus far only 2,000 have gone to customers.

I assume that the other 8,000 have gone to VM employees and the gadget websites/journalists etc.

Unless the claim that the 10,000 earmarked to be distributed this year have already been given out was incorrect and there will be ~ 8,000 available until the end of the year.

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I'm sure Richard and any other lucky V6 customer who frequents this forum will be more than happy to answer questions.
Yep, no problem at all, I'll be happy to help where I can.

I was a bit afraid that this would be seen to be hijacking the thread after what Any Permitted Route said earlier, but with hindsight I can't see how sharing my experiences of the new box with others could be viewed as hijacking or off topic