Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 3.0 port forwarding

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hub 3.0 port forwarding

Old 31-01-2016, 22:52   #1
nator
Inactive

nator is an unknown quantity at this point
Hub 3.0 port forwarding

Hi all,
Just joined VM and got the new Arris Hub 3.0. The interface is pretty straightforward, but I can't get port forwarding to work. Firewall is on (I have heard that is a problem), and I have a program actively listening to the port, but nothing. Is anybody else having similar problems?
nator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2016, 06:25   #2
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road
Re: Hub 3.0 port forwarding

I'm not 100% sure but i heard you can't port forward with the firewall on
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:14   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
I'm not 100% sure but i heard you can't port forward with the firewall on
It's the other way round, you can't port forward with the firewall off..

You also can't upnp with the original firmware which is corrected on the latest firmware that I believe has only been pushed out to those on the trial last week. Hopefully the rest of us should get it soon.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:25   #4
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
It's the other way round, you can't port forward with the firewall off..

You also can't upnp with the original firmware which is corrected on the latest firmware that I believe has only been pushed out to those on the trial last week. Hopefully the rest of us should get it soon.
My bad i don't know much about the Hub 3 apart from it's semi awful firmware
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:27   #5
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Yep as above it doesn't work if the firewall is off, I've happily forwarded a bunch of ports on mine successfully though.

Can you get a screenshot of your rule setup?
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 21:06   #6
nator
Inactive

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Firewall is on, and I'm not suing UPnP. Here are the screenies:

Old 02-02-2016, 08:26   #7
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

They don't seem to be loading for me
Old 02-02-2016, 09:23   #8
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Do port Nos above 1024 work as expected?
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 16:21   #9
nator
Inactive

Odd. Images are here:
http://i63.tinypic.com/28alpx3.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/302mdu1.jpg

Prt 1024 is closed as well. What do you mean by working as expected?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2016, 12:02   #10
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

The software for this device is absolute garbage. This thing was released in 2014 in its DOCSIS form and the EuroDOCSIS revision shouldn't have involved anything different on the router side.

There is no excuse at all for the state of this software, I wouldn't even call it in beta, or for releasing it in this condition.

Paying customers shouldn't unwittingly be alpha testing CPE.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:24   #11
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by nator View Post
A big extrapolation - but it is a standard configuration option in the open-source miniupnpd to restrict upnp to high port Nos above 1024, for security paranoia. Special configuration is required in popular 3rd party firmwares such as Tomato to allow lower port nos. I see you are port forwarding a low port No. How are you testing?
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:31   #12
Synthetic
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nator View Post
Odd. Images are here:
http://i63.tinypic.com/28alpx3.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/302mdu1.jpg

Thanks
Still can;t see it, but as Igni says, this isn't ready for customer testing yet, there's a lot of bugs. Port forwarding is working for me though, so not sure why it's not for you!
Old 03-02-2016, 19:47   #13
nator
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm View Post
A big extrapolation - but it is a standard configuration option in the open-source miniupnpd to restrict upnp to high port Nos above 1024, for security paranoia. Special configuration is required in popular 3rd party firmwares such as Tomato to allow lower port nos. I see you are port forwarding a low port No. How are you testing?
I have tried ports below and above 1024. In this case it is 965, but I have also tried higher numbers.

The program is active and listening to the port, but is not receving anything. Also using sites like portchecker.co and www.canyouseeme.org confirm that the port is closed.

Synthetic, maybe the hosting site is blacklisted for you. I'll try another.

Thanks all for your continued advice.

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Here with a new host:

Old 03-02-2016, 21:00   #14
Synthetic
cf.geek

Ah yeah apparently we block tinypic at work for some reason, I can see them now I'm at home.

All looks good to me.....
Old 03-02-2016, 22:05   #15
nator
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Ah yeah apparently we block tinypic at work for some reason, I can see them now I'm at home.

All looks good to me.....
Quite..