Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Star Trek: Discovery

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Star Trek: Discovery

Old 18-09-2016, 22:24   #76
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

nope, the original link just said it was being rescheduled etc with no reason. This is now the pr friendly excuse for it.#

Edit: my bad, the urls are different but they now seem to link to the same article
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2016, 22:25   #77
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

If you click your original link it takes you to the exact same story though.

I knew it would be for production reasons as stated in my earlier posts. It would be impossible to have it ready by January and have good quality production and effects.
Old 18-09-2016, 22:38   #78
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

to be fair I didn't read the first link. The original article I read was on tvseriesfinale.com which is where I get all my tv series new from and it basically said the date had been pushed back and that was it and it provided the link which I posted. Even the original article has been updated since and now reads as:

Quote:
Sorry, Star Trek fans. Today, CBS announced the premiere of Star Trek: Discovery has been pushed back to May.

The CBS All Access series was originally slated to debut in January.

The delay is apparently due to creative reasons. In a press statement, CBS said the “new premiere date is driven by the belief of the creative team that this gives the show the appropriate time for delivery of the highest quality, premium edition of the first new “Star Trek” TV series in over a decade.”

So far, few details have been released about Star Trek: Discovery. Earlier, showrunner Bryan Fuller revealed the new show will be set before the timeline of the original series and feature a female lead, a gay character, and possibly Spock’s mother.

Last edited by Stephen; 18-09-2016 at 22:44.
Old 18-09-2016, 22:45   #79
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Ooh ok.

I've added quotes and removed the bottom half as it was just the same as posted on the official link.
Old 18-09-2016, 22:52   #80
General Maximus
Ran Away

Ta
Old 27-10-2016, 20:06   #81
General Maximus
Ran Away

Gutted:

Quote:
Bryan Fuller is stepping down as showrunner on the Star Trek: Discovery TV show for CBS All Access. The co-creator confirmed the news on Twitter, yesterday. Co-creator and EP Alex Kurtzman will oversee the production, along with Fuller’s frequent collaborators, Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts.

Fuller, who originally boarded as showrunner in February, is staying on as an executive producer. He will remain involved in the creative side of the new Star Trek series. Here is more, from THR:

“We are extremely happy with the creative direction of Star Trek: Discovery and the strong foundation that Bryan Fuller has helped us create for the series,” producers CBS Television Studios said Wednesday in a statement. “Due to Bryan’s other projects, he is no longer able to oversee the day-to-day of Star Trek, but he remains an executive producer, and will continue to map out the story arc for the entire season. Alex Kurtzman, co-creator and executive producer, along with Fuller’s producing partners and longtime collaborators, Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts, will also continue to oversee the show with the existing writing and producing team. Bryan is a brilliant creative talent and passionate Star Trek fan, who has helped us chart an exciting course for the series. We are all committed to seeing this vision through and look forward to premiering Star Trek: Discovery this coming May 2017.”

The news comes as Fuller is busy prepping Starz’s high-profile reboot of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods as well as a revival of NBC’s Amazing Stories, the latter of which is an anthology. Fuller penned the first two scripts for Discovery and has scripted the larger arc for the series — which will see a woman captain the new ship, called Discovery. Insiders note that there had been some frustration on Fuller’s part with the speed with which Discovery was moving. CBS Television Studios has already begun marketing the series, which has yet to be cast, with panels at San Diego Comic-Con, a teaser at the upfronts and a Q&A with executives and Fuller at TCA.
[…]
Fuller will remain deeply involved in the creative story of Discovery, with showrunning duties divided between Kurtzman as well as Fuller’s frequent collaborators Berg and Harberts (Pushing Daisies).
[…]
Sources tell THR that the rest of the cast also will feature an openly gay actor as one of the male leads (which Fuller confirmed), a female admiral, a male Klingon captain, a male admiral, a male adviser and a British male doctor
Old 20-12-2016, 20:50   #82
General Maximus
Ran Away

Sasha from The Walking Dead is cast as shows lead female character

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/st...ad-cbs-series/
Old 20-01-2017, 20:30   #83
General Maximus
Ran Away

delayed again, this is not looking good:

Quote:
“Production on Star Trek: Discovery begins next week,” CBS said in a statement. “We love the cast, the scripts and are excited about the world the producers have created. This is an ambitious project; we will be flexible on a launch date if it’s best for the show. We’ve said from the beginning it’s more important to do this right than to do it fast. There is also added flexibility presenting on CBS All Access, which isn’t beholden to seasonal premieres or launch windows.”

The network is not confirming a move from the scheduled May launch date, but notes there is more flexibility on timing given it is a streaming platform. Production was already scheduled to begin next week, so there is no delay on that front.
Old 20-01-2017, 21:06   #84
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I was asked to take command but refused due to other obligations lol
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 23:59   #85
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

I did see this yesterday, indefinite delay. Not really the greatest news although they did also confirm the actor playing Sarek(Spock's Father) in the show.
Old 21-01-2017, 09:50   #86
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

In other news:

Quote:
which will come first Axanar or Discovery
with the lawsuit settled will Axanar produce their 2 15 min episodes sooner than Discovery churns out an ep?

Terms of the settlement agreement include an agreement to allow Axanar Productions to continue showing PRELUDE TO AXANAR commercial-free on YouTube and to allow Axanar Productions to produce the AXANAR feature film as two fifteen-minute segments that can be distributed on YouTube (also without ads).
http://fanfilmfactor.com/2017/01/20/...ttles-lawsuit/
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 10:51   #87
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
delayed again, this is not looking good:
They're trying to make out as if producing it for an on-demand service is an advantage, but it seems to me to be the opposite.

There is clearly no serious deadline, which is rarely a good idea in any project (unless you're inventing something totally new, and let's face it, they're not - the Trek universe is well understood, all they're doing is what every tv production company does every day of the week, devising characters and storylines to fit an established universe).

My bet is that CBS is hedging against the possibility that they won't get sufficient subscribers and has set a low budget, which would also tend to make things run more slowly.

For maximum impact/minimum outlay, they could have more simply spun something off in the 24th century where TNG and DS9 storylines have all been left hanging (Voyager was pretty well finished I think).

I have had a trial subscription to Netflix for the past couple of weeks and I've been delighted to find the remastered TNG is on there. I've been re-watching all my favourite episodes and remembering just how good that show was, especially once it hit its stride. Basically what I'm trying to say is, Discovery has a very tough act to follow, as it attempts to bring back the franchise in the way TNG did. It will need focus, commitment and hard work. It's hard to see evidence of that right now.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 20:11   #88
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

... I've got the TNG boxsets on a shelf right above my tv, don't touch them at all now. Click Netflix, click TNG, click which ep, done and in HD. Easy and lazy...

You may be right about the new show. What a shame.

If everything is okay, script, cast, general direction of the show etc, why the delay? Something is amiss somewhere, perhaps the borg have assimilated the producers.
Old 22-01-2017, 16:01   #89
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

For maximum impact/minimum outlay, they could have more simply spun something off in the 24th century where TNG and DS9 storylines have all been left hanging (Voyager was pretty well finished I think).

I have had a trial subscription to Netflix for the past couple of weeks and I've been delighted to find the remastered TNG is on there. I've been re-watching all my favourite episodes and remembering just how good that show was, especially once it hit its stride. Basically what I'm trying to say is, Discovery has a very tough act to follow, as it attempts to bring back the franchise in the way TNG did. It will need focus, commitment and hard work. It's hard to see evidence of that right now.
I think it would have made things easier continuity wise as well. If you watch Enterprise then Star Trek (i.e. following the actual chronology), it actually looks like Starfleet's technology took a massive step backwards, because the special effects were so much better on Enterprise. I'm not even thinking of the exterior shots, the on set console displays were far better.

Discovery has a tough act to follow. They have a good consulting producer Nicholas Meyer (who directed The Wrath of Kahn and the Undiscovered Country and is one of two people credited with keeping the franchise alive after the relative failure of The Motion Picture). If he is still as good a writer as he was during those two films, and if he is directly involved, I think it will do well. It seems to have a good team behind it.

I think TNG was always going to be a difficult series to follow (although DS9 did a good job). Although it had some very bad episodes (the first half of season one and a lot of season 7 for instance), it had some of the best episodes I've seen in any TV series. I think one of the things I liked about TNG is that in some of the best stories, the actual setting was almost irrelevant, which meant that some of the best episodes almost weren't sci fi.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 16:27   #90
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I think it would have made things easier continuity wise as well. If you watch Enterprise then Star Trek (i.e. following the actual chronology), it actually looks like Starfleet's technology took a massive step backwards, because the special effects were so much better on Enterprise. I'm not even thinking of the exterior shots, the on set console displays were far better.

Discovery has a tough act to follow. They have a good consulting producer Nicholas Meyer (who directed The Wrath of Kahn and the Undiscovered Country and is one of two people credited with keeping the franchise alive after the relative failure of The Motion Picture). If he is still as good a writer as he was during those two films, and if he is directly involved, I think it will do well. It seems to have a good team behind it.

I think TNG was always going to be a difficult series to follow (although DS9 did a good job). Although it had some very bad episodes (the first half of season one and a lot of season 7 for instance), it had some of the best episodes I've seen in any TV series. I think one of the things I liked about TNG is that in some of the best stories, the actual setting was almost irrelevant, which meant that some of the best episodes almost weren't sci fi.
The best sci fi often is barely sci fi. One of the genre's key strengths is that it allows common issues to be explored from radically different angles. Star Trek TNG managed to explore society's attitude towards same sex relationships on prime time US TV as far back as 1991 (The Host, Season 4 e23) by switching a male character* into a female body part way through the episode and then discussing Dr Crusher's conflicted emotions, as she had already developed an attraction to him (latterly her).

TOS postulated a future in which Russians and Americans could serve in the same uniform, right at the height of the Cold War, and, famously, a future in which ethnically different characters could even kiss, much less fall in love, at a time when racial segregation had only just lost its basis in US law.

I'm not certain Nick Meyer will have much direct involvement in this new series. Making someone a consulting producer is usually a means of preventing copyright disputes. Ignoring the Motionless Picture for a moment (as most people do), everything that was any good about the original film franchise originated with him (though he famously disagreed with the idea of bringing Spock back from the dead). Discovery will almost certainly reference his ideas directly at various points, as it is set fairly close in the continuity to the end of the original film run, and may well pick up ideas he had but which didn't find their way into the films. If his name is on the credits for Discovery, then they easily get his buy-in for any of that.

For comparison ... Gene Roddenberry had a producer credit on TNG, but reputedly he spent most of his time writing memos to the real show producers slagging the project off.

* A Trill, except not in quite the same way they were later portrayed in DS9.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote