Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unable to connect

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Unable to connect

Old 24-12-2016, 15:35   #1
Gary1967
Inactive

Gary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unable to connect

Hi all I am seeking some advice ,

I have just moved my TiVo box and router from one side of the room to another , I purchased a standard satalite cable which I have attached to my virgin box on the wall and ran the cable behind the skirting board

When I connect my router on its own , it works correctly , as soon as I plug in the spliter and connect the router and attached by a cable one end to the splinter the other to the router it stops working (. No blue arrow)

I have bought a new splinter box this morning think that might be the fault and I have also bought new cabelsv( f type) thinking it might be that , but still nothing

If I revert to just plugging the router direct to the main cable it connects , Any ideas
Gary1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2016, 16:52   #2
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: Unable to connect

Your new cable and splitter probably isn't up to VM spec and causing signal issues. Was my pet hate as a service tech people using their own cabling etc, and when I was a network engineer it was just as bad because it would send noise out to the neteork
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 16:57   #3
Gary1967
Inactive

Can you recommend what cable I should get etc please and where from ?
Old 24-12-2016, 16:57   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Either the cable you bought is the wrong type, or your signal level isn't high enough to get through the extra length. Get Virgin Media out to do it, and they'll make sure the right parts are used and the signal level is correct.

ps. Welcome to the forum!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 16:58   #5
Gary1967
Inactive

The cable was pre made 10 meter length and was bought from maplins
Old 24-12-2016, 17:30   #6
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1967 View Post
Can you recommend what cable I should get etc please and where from ?
RG6, Virgin Media
Old 24-12-2016, 21:46   #7
Glesga
Inactive

Glesga is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
RG6, Virgin Media
The cost of £99 call out charge is reasonable considering its a no hassle move. The cost of buying various cables etc and the time taken to do it is a complete waste.

Why do people insist on moving virgin equipment but wont consider moving sky dish?
Glesga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 20:58   #8
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

By the sounds of it, its a signal level issue. You may already have been borderline with your current cabling setup so perhaps a powered HDU setup is required. I could only ever recommend a VM engineer carry out any work here. Please try and avoid using satellite cable as it generally is not up to the standard required and causes ingress into the Virgin Media network, causing issues for you and your neighbours.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 11:23   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

It's usually a good plan to jot down the signal levels from the diagnostic pages in the TIVO and hub and recheck them after moving equipment as any reduction of signal outside the specification required by the devices will impact the service. As stated above you MUST use cable that is to/exceed VMs specification: Triple shielded and low loss e.g. Webro HD 100 with good quality connectors and then only short distances.
Old 29-12-2016, 12:30   #10
vm_tech
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It's usually a good plan to jot down the signal levels from the diagnostic pages in the TIVO and hub and recheck them after moving equipment as any reduction of signal outside the specification required by the devices will impact the service. As stated above you MUST use cable that is to/exceed VMs specification: Triple shielded and low loss e.g. Webro HD 100 with good quality connectors and then only short distances.
I haven't looked in the diagnostics page on a STB for years, but I believe it doesn't show signal levels. The signal level isn't the be all and end all, the quality is much more important, the signal levels could be out of spec but as long as there are no errors coming through, it should be alright
Old 29-12-2016, 12:56   #11
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
I haven't looked in the diagnostics page on a STB for years, but I believe it doesn't show signal levels. The signal level isn't the be all and end all, the quality is much more important, the signal levels could be out of spec but as long as there are no errors coming through, it should be alright
IIRC on tech stuff page 2 our VHD box shows the return dbmv and the AGC level but not the downstream level directly.