Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reset dell to factory settings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

98 and Me - execution day - 70 million users have to upgrade

Old 04-07-2006, 14:19   #1
Enuff

98 and Me - execution day - 70 million users have to upgrade

As far as I can see, there's going to be no support, but that doesnt mean users have to stop using it... does it?

Quote:
SOFTWARE giant Microsoft has named the day that Windows 98 and Millennium users will no longer have support.

On July 11, the two operating systems will have their final breakfast before being wiped from Vole's support brain. Although many expected Microsoft to stop supporting the quaintly antique software, the date for liquidation was uncertain.
Link
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2006, 14:29   #2
zing_deleted

Re: 98 and Me - execution day - 70 million users have to upgrade

I would bet a good portion of those running these operating systems at home dont update it anyway however the business secotr made them delay this cut off before maybe they will again
Old 04-07-2006, 14:33   #3
Enuff

For me, 98se was the best OS before XP... it ran beautifuly
Old 04-07-2006, 14:42   #4
basa
Inactive

basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal
basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal

I used 98SE exclusively up until about 6 months ago. It ran well but I have to admit not as well as XP Home.

Whilst support for it runs out soon, as the article says I reckon it will not be the target of viruses or hacks unless those virii / hacks built for XP just happen to execute on 98 by chance.

I stopped using it because just too many new progs and apps aren't written for it nowadays.

Shame 'cos I liked it and it was FREE !!
basa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 14:54   #5
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay

R.I.P No flowers
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 16:34   #6
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

So how will this effect me as I run on ME do I need to get XP?
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 16:38   #7
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

There is no need to upgrade- it just means that MS don't offer any support for these OS's any more.

My parents still use win 95 which has been out of support for a long time. Just because it isn't supported, doesn't mean it won't work.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 16:43   #8
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

Ok thanks Chris
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 16:56   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

At home I run a PC with XP Pro and one with 98SE and apart from a few extra features in XP Pro, Win98 has performed fine and I will keep it on one of my machines.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 17:31   #10
Skatoony
Inactive

Services: Sky Digital & Sky BB
Skatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Skatoony Send a message via MSN to Skatoony

Yes ok Microsoft, users with a PC that is designed for Windows 98 (so something like a P2 @ 250MHZ with 32MB RAM) are going to have to upgrade to XP. Is M$ going to pay for the hardware upgrade? I don't think so.
Skatoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 17:32   #11
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Er... Noones forcing users to Upgrade, MS just wont support the O/S anymore which imo is fair enough, it IS nearing 10 years old ofc.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 17:52   #12
Skatoony
Inactive

Services: Sky Digital & Sky BB
Skatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation eraSkatoony has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Skatoony Send a message via MSN to Skatoony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
Er... Noones forcing users to Upgrade, MS just wont support the O/S anymore which imo is fair enough, it IS nearing 10 years old ofc.
Not forcing, but advising:

Quote:
Ullrich said he would advise users of those systems to either upgrade to a newer version of Windows such as Windows XP, or consider switching to a Mac.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...063001587.html

Second paragraph from the bottom, last line.
Skatoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 19:02   #13
Dan_Sette
Inactive

Dan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant futureDan_Sette has a brilliant future

I still run Windows 98se. Works fine on the laptop I use at home. Although I have said that when I change laptop later in the year it will be to an Apple.

D
Dan_Sette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 19:25   #14
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte
Not forcing, but advising:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...063001587.html

Second paragraph from the bottom, last line.
That guy doesn't work for Microsoft.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 19:30   #15
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

I'm on Windows 98 SE. At work I support everything from a WYSE terminal on up through Windows NT to Windows Server 2003. Windows 98 will live on at least another decade yet.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote