Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Missiles stationed on residential roof for Olympics

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Missiles stationed on residential roof for Olympics

Old 30-04-2012, 15:21   #46
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Missiles stationed on residential roof for Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
About a mile away from the Olympic Stadium area, there is a massive estate called Canary Wharf, it has massive tower office blocks which can quite easily take all this crap.

Why put thousands of residents at risk by placing the missiles and troops there, and now the terrorist know where there are placed, good planning.

I willb glad when the whole thing is over with.

I suspect that, thanks to 9/11, Canary Wharf already has adequate defences. Olympics or not, it is considered a target for terrorism.

I already know that if you stop your car for any length of time anywhere around Canary Wharf, you will get a police car pull up behind you.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2012, 15:54   #47
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
Where are terrorists going to get hold of drones? Quite difficult to steal I would have thought

Just ask the Iranians for the one they got off the USA?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 16:02   #48
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Why are people thinking l am complaining - l am not.

IF, these plans are supposed to be secret, then why place leaflets through a tower block flats, It has been known before that terrorist do use flats, council or private.

I know the area very well, and they are many places in that area that could be used quite well without using HUMANS as targets. As the first place terrorist would hit would be where the missiles were stored.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 16:10   #49
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Just ask the Iranians for the one they got off the USA?
I doubt it's for sale and they could be prosecuted for receiving stolen goods
Old 30-04-2012, 16:44   #50
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Sorry Arthur, must be force of habit.

Quote:
IF, these plans are supposed to be secret, then why place leaflets through a tower block flats, It has been known before that terrorist do use flats, council or private.
These plans are not secret. It's kinda hard to convince everyone a SAM battery is just a funky new mobile phone mast. There will however be one or two very secret defences against all manner of threats.

Quote:
I know the area very well, and they are many places in that area that could be used quite well without using HUMANS as targets. As the first place terrorist would hit would be where the missiles were stored.
I would suspect that there might be armed guards near them and your average wannabe Jihadi with a TATP waistcoat wouldn't just be able to wander up to them.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 17:17   #51
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Terrorists tend to go for human targets in order to get maximum press exposure. They don't tend to go for AA missile systems. So they are more liklely to use the sports venues as targets, and not the flats.

These flats would probably be the most secure flats in the UK if used for this purpose.

Who said it was supposed to be top secret???
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 18:07   #52
RizzyKing

Storm in a teacup which seems to be becoming the new national passtime for the UK. Having a missile system installed for a few weeks with the subsequent guards around makes it the perfect time to sell your flat hows that for a security feature. Seriously though it is something the government cannot win at if they do this and many other operations they are classed by some as "over-reacting" and others it will be a good old case of nimbyism perfectly good to do it as long as it is nowhere near them. If they didn't do all this and something happened same said people would be calling for heads because not enough was done. Sometimes the british public give me one hell of a headache thank all that exists i am not a politician that has to deal with it daily.

Infact thinking about it now being a politician and having to deal with it daily makes the actions of some politicians almost understandable.
Old 30-04-2012, 20:09   #53
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
When you include phrases such as I'll be glad when it's over, people tend to assume you are probably complaining, especially after suggesting that the missiles be moved elsewhere.

Quote:
Thanks to extensive experience with the IRA, our security services are probably amongst the most experienced people on the planet when dealing with terrorists. I suspect they'll have worked out whether this is safe or not..

Quote:
Do you know the needs of a SAM battery though? I don't, but they will have access to people who do, and there's probably a good reason they've picked high ground. Greenwich park is another area apparently earmarked for a missile site, and parts of the park are quite high.

As for terrorists hitting the area where the batteries are, I don't think they would. They would probably have one chance at doing it. Terrorists go for maximum publicity. They are also (in a lot of cases) not frightened of death. On the contrary, they may welcome the chance to Martyr themselves, as long as they get maximum publicity.

Now, what's going to get them the maximum publicity? Hitting a residential block, or a park, both of which would be very well protected, and probably only affect at most a couple of thousand people, with no one watching. Contrast that with an Olympic venue, which is likely to have up to 80,000 people in it, and another couple of billion watching on TV (or the Internet) or listening on the radio (or the Internet).

You want proof? Remember 9/11. If the terrorists had just wanted massive loss of life, they could have hit any of a number of buildings even in just New York. Instead they hit two of arguably the best known buildings in the world.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 22:52   #54
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
When you include phrases such as I'll be glad when it's over, people tend to assume your are probably complaining, especially after suggesting that the missiles be moved elsewhere.

Thanks to extensive experience with the IRA, our security services are probably amongst the most experienced people on the planet when dealing with terrorists. I suspect they'll have worked out whether this is safe or not..

Do you know the needs of a SAM battery though? I don't, but they will have access to people who do, and there's probably a good reason they've picked high ground. Greenwich park is another area apparently earmarked for a missile site, and parts of the park are quite high.

As for terrorists hitting the area where the batteries are, I don't think they would. They would probably have one chance at doing it. Terrorists go for maximum publicity. They are also (in a lot of cases) not frightened of death. On the contrary, they may welcome the chance to Martyr themselves, as long as they get maximum publicity.

Now, what's going to get them the maximum publicity? Hitting a residential block, or a park, both of which would be very well protected, and probably only affect at most a couple of thousand people, with no one watching. Contrast that with an Olympic venue, which is likely to have up to 80,000 people in it, and another couple of billion watching on TV (or the Internet) or listening on the radio (or the Internet).

You want proof? Remember 9/11. If the terrorists had just wanted massive loss of life, they could have hit any of a number of buildings even in just New York. Instead they hit two of arguably the best known buildings in the world.
I couldn't agree more. There are enough olympic venues for them to target long before they even consider a block of flats. In fact they would be more likely to hit our transport system, as it can't be 100% defended.
Old 30-04-2012, 23:26   #55
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I couldn't agree more. There are enough olympic venues for them to target long before they even consider a block of flats. In fact they would be more likely to hit our transport system, as it can't be 100% defended.
Absolutely. Just imagine an attack on the queue at Heathrow passport control
Old 01-05-2012, 01:57   #56
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Absolutely. Just imagine an attack on the queue at Heathrow passport control
I was thinking more about an attack on our transport infrastructure, which is far more difficult to protect.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:10   #57
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I was thinking more about an attack on our transport infrastructure, which is far more difficult to protect.
I wasn't serious
Old 01-05-2012, 15:48   #58
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

I am on holiday out of Little Britain when the Olympics is on thankfully.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:12   #59
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
An east London resident wants to take legal action after his apartment complex was earmarked for the use of surface-to-air missiles during the Olympics.

Brian Whelan is challenging the management company of Bow Quarter in Bow after residents were told a missile system could be put on a water tower.

Lawyers for Little Apple Holdings said they could not comment.
Link

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:33   #60
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
They won't stand a chance in court. The government will just play the national security card, which overides anything else. This is just the same as if the emergency services threatened to strike during the olympics...they just make it illegal on the grounds of national security.

In a nutshell, the government can do whatever they want, and use the olympics as an excuse.

Although I don't see why the resident has a problem with it.