Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone cost increasing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Phone cost increasing

Old 28-06-2011, 12:08   #31
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold
Re: Phone cost increasing

VM have been trying to get hold of me for the past 3 or so weeks and finally did last night. They were ringing up to offer me the extra £5 option for all 08 numbers to be included in my call package.

The person ringing me (from Newcastle call centre I was told – Home Services?) said I had incurred a cost on these services of over £6 so a benefit to me. However I said I would check my bills first before proceeding if worthwhile which is good that I did.

I checked back 10 months worth of bills and only found a single month bill over £5 cost for 0844/0871 and even combining the total 0844/0871/0845/0870 calls I could only exceed £5 cost in 2 out of 10 months.

Even accounting for VAT, my average monthly bill for such numbers was around £3.60 so this was very close to getting to be a con and was disappointed that whatever systems VM use to calculate such figures did not give an accurate picture of my costs on these numbers. Of course the person ringing me may have “accidently” not been that specific on the £6+ charge mentioned as I did have a single month when that was the case.

But it only took me a few minutes work to confirm paying £5 a month is not worthwhile for me even if every insurance firm, etc who I tend to ring on these numbers moved over to 0844/0871.

So the morale of this story is to check your own records before committing to anything new to your call plan, the data you are being quoted may not be accurate or may only reflect a single month, as the only way in my case a £6 figure could be quoted.

Incidentally I’ve checked all the main insurance companies I use right now and the reason for 08 numbers being on my bill. Only 1 uses a 0844/0871 number and one even still provides me with a 0800 free number for insurance renewals; all the rest are 0845/0870 right now which are about to become free of charge from August onwards if phoned within your call package time, which I will do of course.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2011, 12:58   #32
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
all the rest are 0845/0870 right now which are about to become free of charge from August onwards if phoned within your call package time, which I will do of course.
Only 0870 is. For 0845 you'll need either the £2 or £5 Talk 08 package as well
Old 28-06-2011, 13:08   #33
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Only 0870 is. For 0845 you'll need either the £2 or £5 Talk 08 package as well
Yes correct, stand corrected. Just checked the residential tariffs from August 2011 and it does state 0870 only is included within your call plan while 0845 is still charged.

Doesn't change my situation on that £5/month offer though, always check your own bills before committing to anything extra.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 14:05   #34
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Hi Ken i think vm have 2 levels of 08 packages your old one is talk 08 £2 which includes 0845/0870 as well i think,and there is also talk 08 £5 which includes numbers such as 0844 and 0871 i think as well as 0845/0870.
Oh Thanks for that Info

I didn't realise there was two levels, think I'll check it out

That was a really helpful post
Old 29-06-2011, 07:45   #35
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road

I didn't realise that either. So, now that my 0870 calls will be in my call package (Anytime) from August, does that mean that if I pay another £5 per months, all calls to 0870, 0871, 0844, 0845 numbers will be free ( 250 minutes per month?)
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 09:27   #36
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
I didn't realise that either. So, now that my 0870 calls will be in my call package (Anytime) from August, does that mean that if I pay another £5 per months, all calls to 0870, 0871, 0844, 0845 numbers will be free ( 250 minutes per month?)
Yes within your call plan ie talk weekends =weekend only,talk evs weekend,= evs weekend ,talk unlimited you would get to use the inclusive 08 add on anytime. Hope this helps.
Old 29-06-2011, 09:33   #37
hansi
cf.geek

hansi is on a distinguished roadhansi is on a distinguished road

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Yes within your call plan ie talk weekends =weekend only,talk evs weekend,= evs weekend ,talk unlimited you would get to use the inclusive 08 add on anytime. Hope this helps.
Thank you. That's great, as it only takes a few minutes to rack up £5 on an 08 number. Do I just ring 150, go to Billing and ask them to add it from August or can I do it online?
hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 09:37   #38
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
:

Thank you. That's great, as it only takes a few minutes to rack up £5 on an 08 number. Do I just ring 150, go to Billing and ask them to add it from August or can I do it online?
Hi yes i agree racking up large amounts on those numbers does not take too long! ring 150 option option 4 they will add them for you.
Old 01-07-2011, 17:56   #39
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but indeed the £5 option includes all 08x numbers - so 0843, 0844, 0871, 0872 & 0873.

The silly thing, the wholesale termination rates on quite a few of these number ranges are at least 2p/minute - several 0871 providers offer 6-8p/minute revenue-share.

- VM are hoping not everyone uses the full 250 minutes. Quite possible.

- VM are willing to take a loss on this. Can't quite believe this.

- Someone somewhere hasn't done their sums. Keep an offline copy of the VM website!

I still maintain that we should be dealing with the underlying causes of the whole 08x ripoff regime (i.e. refuse to deal with firms who use such numbers, avoid them, campaign for take-up of 03x ranges etc) rather than sticking-plaster the symptoms as this package is... but as a PR exercise, I have to admit it's not bad!
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 00:34   #40
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Why wouldn't people just use

www.saynoto0870.com I've never failed to find an 01/02 or 0800 number to replace 0844/0845/0870 numbers.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:35   #41
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Why wouldn't people just use

www.saynoto0870.com I've never failed to find an 01/02 or 0800 number to replace 0844/0845/0870 numbers.
Exactly my experience as well
Old 05-07-2011, 14:50   #42
faze
Inactive

faze is an unknown quantity at this point

how can they increase prices when you are on a contract?
faze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 15:28   #43
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by faze View Post
how can they increase prices when you are on a contract?
The contract is for the service and not the cost of said service. It is covered in the T&Cs I believe.