Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | green paint for cable boxes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

How reliable is anonymous call baring?

Old 15-09-2010, 17:51   #1
ultimate
cf.geek

Services: 200Mb,TV FH V6 and Phone
ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough
How reliable is anonymous call baring?

Is this 100% fool proof? I have made certain that my anonymous call baring is on and I just received a "silent" call, dialled 1471 and it reports it doesn't have the caller's id !!
ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2010, 17:53   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: How reliable is anonymous call baring?

Well we've had ours on for a few years and never get any anonymous callers, don't think it'll block foreign callers though
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 18:31   #3
ultimate
cf.geek

Services: 200Mb,TV FH V6 and Phone
ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough

I just got another one with no id despite barring is on !!!! Very annoying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 19:48   #4
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

According to Virgin Medias help it wont block calls networks that are unable to put their number in, as examples it lists calls from foreign networks, analogue mobile phones! and payphones.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 20:33   #5
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I guess that some calls will have some id on them (transit from other networks, some international) and these will get through.

When I was working on call tracing systems some incoming numbers are prefixed with other digits. I think this occurred when folk transferred their number between suppliers.
Old 17-09-2010, 16:33   #6
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
I just got another one with no id despite barring is on !!!! Very annoying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It only works where the number is actually with-held, not if it's not available.. so if it's an international call centre it will get through.

Are you gettting "the caller with-held their number" or "we do not have the callers number to return the call"

If it's the latter, then the anon-caller reject is working ok. You might be better with Caller Display (if it's available on your switch)

Failing that.....

www.truecall.co.uk is a great device.. I wouldn't be without it
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote