Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 26-09-2010, 17:44   #151
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: The Apple iPad Thread

Got me an iPad on Friday. Love it. Just need more apps. all my iPhone apps look terrible on the large screen.
Old 26-09-2010, 17:47   #152
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age

i also love my ipad , not being very techy , is the lack of .mkv a problem because of the app or is the ipad just not up to it , what other hd formats are there that will play with this app ?? (the vlc media player app that is...sorry ..)
Old 26-09-2010, 18:00   #153
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

To play .MKV files and others, stream it using Air Video. Works a treat and simple enough to use.
Old 26-09-2010, 18:16   #154
*sloman*
Inactive

Services: 100MB, M Phone and XL TV (1x Tivo, 1x Samsung V+)
*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Got me an iPad on Friday. Love it. Just need more apps. all my iPhone apps look terrible on the large screen.
Angry Birds HD, Plants vs Zombies, Friendly Facebook browser, Solipskier, Osmos HD, Worms HD.

had mine a couple of weeks now but never get to use it as the 'mrs' plays on Angry Birds & Plants vs Zombies
*sloman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 18:31   #155
Bulky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
To play .MKV files and others, stream it using Air Video. Works a treat and simple enough to use.
air video is cool, just want to take some hd movies on holiday so will not be able to stream.
Old 26-09-2010, 18:38   #156
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulky View Post
air video is cool, just want to take some hd movies on holiday so will not be able to stream.
Convert them using something like Xmedia Recode or something equivalent, but for daily use around the home Air Video will take a lot of hassle out of converting.

For those that have missed other threads on this, another must have is catchup tv, watch streaming live tv (freeview channels). I use it constantly on the iTouch.

http://www.tvcatchup.com/ipad.html
Old 27-09-2010, 14:08   #157
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sloman* View Post
Angry Birds HD, Plants vs Zombies, Friendly Facebook browser, Solipskier, Osmos HD, Worms HD.

had mine a couple of weeks now but never get to use it as the 'mrs' plays on Angry Birds & Plants vs Zombies
I've got Angry Birds HD, so love that game.

Can't believe there still isn't an official Facebook app yet. Installed Flipboard which is free and lets you check your Facebook and twitter accounts along with news sites and presents them all in a newspaper style.
Old 27-09-2010, 15:00   #158
ronald146m
Inactive

ronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to beholdronald146m is a splendid one to behold

Hi
The latest version of VLC media player will stream files from YouTube.

I wonder if the iPad version of VLC will do this.
ronald146m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 21:49   #159
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Are there any reccomendations for some good (free - or cheap) iPad software / games?
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 22:27   #160
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulky View Post
I can recommend Handbrake (http://www.handbrake.fr ). Follow the instructions at http://lifehacker.com/5572037/handbr...ad-or-iphone-4 to convert movies so they take full advantage of the iPad resolution.

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald146m View Post
Hi
The latest version of VLC media player will stream files from YouTube.

I wonder if the iPad version of VLC will do this.
Not sure, but if it doesn't, it's not likely to be added. The VLC team have removed VLC for the i devices from the app store citing incompatibilities between GPL and the TsandCs of the Apple App Store.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:12   #161
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Are there any reccomendations for some good (free - or cheap) iPad software / games?
Angry Birds HD steals massive amounts of my time. Aside from that there are plenty of other great games and programs in the free chart on the app store.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:34   #162
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Warrington Council has splashed out on iPads to save on photcopy costs !

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/...___s_24_iPads/

I have a full size laptop and know how difficult it is to "work with" files rather than simply read them. I seriously doubt the council will make its stating savings using iPads.

I don't have one so it would be interesting to hear from those that do have one if they think a council could save money using iPad rather than blackberry or netbook solutions.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44   #163
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

We are trialling Toshiba Folios (the re-released version) vs iPads for big meetings (for instance, at our board meetings, we often have about 300-400 pages of papers for review and discussion, with 20 attendees (and meet every two weeks). We are trialling with two of each, supplied foc by the suppliers for two months.

If they turn out to be usable, we could end up saving about 400,000 sheets of paper a year just for those meetings alone (and then there would be all the other meetings).

I'll let you know how we got on....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 13:36   #164
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

I wonder if the original Space Invaders arcade game is available as that would be good fun for the ipad.
Old 09-01-2011, 13:47   #165
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Space invaders HD (iPad) is £2.99
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote